Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Post by Shirley »

Maybe republicans are too busy deposing Hunter Biden, and impeaching President Biden?

Dec 6, 2023 Democratic representatives fumed over the lack of legislative action or attention on housing in the GOP-controlled House.

“I do believe on the issue of housing; this committee has lost the plot,” said Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.)

“Because House Republicans don’t want to talk about this issue, we don’t have the time to advance the policies that matter to the American people,” said Rep. Steven Horsford (D-Nev.).

“I am pissed, the American people are pissed, my constituents are pissed if we don’t make housing more of a priority in this Congress.”

Horsford highlighted the number of hearings on the issue: 55 during the previous Democrat-led Congress, and one since Republicans took back power.

“Almost a year into this Congress, and we are holding the first hearing on housing,” Horsford said. “Congratulations.”

Earlier this month, Rep. Steven Horsford discussed House GOP ignoring the issue of housing affordability during a House Financial Services Committee hearing.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:55 pm Maybe republicans are too busy deposing Hunter Biden, and impeaching President Biden?

Dec 6, 2023 Democratic representatives fumed over the lack of legislative action or attention on housing in the GOP-controlled House.

“I do believe on the issue of housing; this committee has lost the plot,” said Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-Mass.)

“Because House Republicans don’t want to talk about this issue, we don’t have the time to advance the policies that matter to the American people,” said Rep. Steven Horsford (D-Nev.).

“I am pissed, the American people are pissed, my constituents are pissed if we don’t make housing more of a priority in this Congress.”

Horsford highlighted the number of hearings on the issue: 55 during the previous Democrat-led Congress, and one since Republicans took back power.

“Almost a year into this Congress, and we are holding the first hearing on housing,” Horsford said. “Congratulations.”

Earlier this month, Rep. Steven Horsford discussed House GOP ignoring the issue of housing affordability during a House Financial Services Committee hearing.
Fine, but we all already know the bad-faith talking points we're going to hear in September/October of next year, right? Dems, in control of the Senate and the big chair, don't get anything done.

(Because, one of the four plays on the Rs' sheet is (1) render government incapable of functioning, and (2) blame government for not functioning.)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dems, in control of the Senate and the big chair, don’t get anything done.

Right? I mean, imagine holding 55 hearings about housing, and still not accomplishing shit.

And I assure you, this talking point/“play” is as far from the R’s as one can get.

It’s in good faith, too!

It’s a complaint less about whether the government is incapable of functioning, and more about whether the government is functioning precisely as designed.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Explaining to you how our government works and how legislation gets passed is above my pay grade, Randi.
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Biden has forgiven about $800 Bn in student loans, despite the one court setback. Managed to pass infrastructure projects, bolster allies and trade, and has several good green projects. Despite the bicameral aspect of our democracy.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sparko is nothing if not objective in his viewpoints of all things sports and politics. Which, I gather, he views similarly. Go team!
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:24 pm Explaining to you how our government works and how legislation gets passed is above my pay grade, Randi.
So often, legislation gets passed by way of partisan politicians making bipartisan deals…right?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:29 pm Sparko is nothing if not objective in his viewpoints of all things sports and politics. Which, I gather, he views similarly. Go team!
Seriously?

I like sparko too, but as for objective, well…the dood can’t even look at Russia on a map without shitting his britches
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

*alert* sarcasm meter broken
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh, yeah, sure, sarcasm.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:29 pm Sparko is nothing if not objective in his viewpoints of all things sports and politics. Which, I gather, he views similarly. Go team!
Not a lot of sympathy for Missouri or Russia. Ready to fight tonight. And honestly both sides are not equal in the slightest, be it basketball or politics. Republicans have taken a dangerous turn
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:01 pm
Not a lot of sympathy for Missouri or Russia. Ready to fight tonight. And honestly both sides are not equal in the slightest, be it basketball or politics. Republicans have taken a dangerous turn
To accept your premise, wouldn't that require us to, oh, I don't know, for example, consider people like Hitler, Putin, and Kim Jong Un deplorable, and not role models?

That might be a bridge too far.
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

There is a reason that divided government generally produces greater prosperity and economic gains than unified government.

Blessed gridlock.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:52 pm
Shirley wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:24 pm Explaining to you how our government works and how legislation gets passed is above my pay grade, Randi.
So often, legislation gets passed by way of partisan politicians making bipartisan deals…right?
Down-stairs we came out through the first-floor dining-room to the street. A waiter went for a taxi. It was hot and bright. Up the street was a little square with trees and grass where there were taxis parked. A taxi came up the street, the waiter hanging out at the side. I tipped him and told the driver where to drive, and got in beside Brett. The driver started up the street. I settled back. Brett moved close to me. We sat close against each other. I put my arm around her and she rested against me comfortably. It was very hot and bright, and the houses looked sharply white. We turned out onto the Gran Via.

"Oh, Jake," Brett said, "we could have had such a damned good time together."

Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.

"Yes," I said. "Isn't it pretty to think so?"
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:54 am There is a reason that divided government generally produces greater prosperity and economic gains than unified government.

Blessed gridlock.
I hate when Reagan is tangentially right.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:58 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:52 pm
Down-stairs we came out through the first-floor dining-room to the street. A waiter went for a taxi. It was hot and bright. Up the street was a little square with trees and grass where there were taxis parked. A taxi came up the street, the waiter hanging out at the side. I tipped him and told the driver where to drive, and got in beside Brett. The driver started up the street. I settled back. Brett moved close to me. We sat close against each other. I put my arm around her and she rested against me comfortably. It was very hot and bright, and the houses looked sharply white. We turned out onto the Gran Via.

"Oh, Jake," Brett said, "we could have had such a damned good time together."

Ahead was a mounted policeman in khaki directing traffic. He raised his baton. The car slowed suddenly pressing Brett against me.

"Yes," I said. "Isn't it pretty to think so?"
Good post, tho I hope it didn’t take 55 hearings to create it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The only good thing about gridlock this year is that there wasn't gridlock last year and the administration and Congress was able to do enough to counter the coming absolute abyss of republican House leadership. Prosperity doesn't come thru nihilism. Ever. Infrastructure projects, support for allies and Ukraine, green projects, and stabilizing the ridiculous policies of the Yam Yeti. The Fed hit Biden hard with rate rises in interest rates--something they were afraid to do under TFG. I thought they were too tough, but they might have been just the thing in retrospect.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Housing is now unaffordable for a record half of all U.S. renters, study finds

https://www.npr.org/2024/01/25/12259578 ... tudy-finds
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

More proof that Colorado is going to shit.
U.S. News and World Report recently conducted a data analysis with the goal of determining which housing markets around the country are the 'hottest' based on the publication's 'housing market index,' which incorporates a wide range of data points into a final overall score. Multiple places in Colorado scored very well in terms of how hot the local market is.

The highest ranking metro area nationwide in terms of 'market hotness' was the Denver-Aurora-Lakewood metro area, with an overall score in December of 2023 of 74.8. Meanwhile, Fort Collins ranked 12th nationwide with a score of 69.2, Greeley ranked 15th nationwide with a score of 68.6, and Colorado Springs ranked 19th nationwide with a score of 67.8.

In terms of Denver's high score, this score was boosted by low local unemployment rates, few mortgage delinquencies, low rental vacancy rates for investors, and a positive ratio of building permits to job growth. The city's 'housing market index' score rose by 7.4 points year-over-year, and while 'supply' metrics were scored relatively low, 'financial' and 'demand' metrics scored high.

The median sales price by December 2023 in the Denver metro area was reported to be $550,000, above a national median of $404,000. Denver's median sales price dropped in recent months from a high of $595,000 in June of 2023.

Meanwhile, rent in Denver continued to climb, despite higher vacancy rates. Data from Zillow indicated that it rose 3.1 percent year-over-year to $1,992, just above the national median of $1,957.

Elsewhere in Colorado, Fort Collins ranked 9th on the U.S News and World Report 'Markets to Watch' ranking, with the local 'housing market index' score increasing by 2.7 points between June and December, indicating that this market has heated up in recent months.

Greeley, Denver, and Fort Collins metros all ranked among the 'most resilient markets' in the nation – 1st, 8th, and 10th, respectively. Greeley's leading resiliency was captured in a year-over-year 'home market index' score increase of 13.2 percent.

When it came to demand-related metrics, Denver ranked 2nd nationwide, Colorado Springs ranked 7th, and Greeley ranked 8th.
This might explain why I get multiple calls every week from realtors wanting to know if I am thinking about listing my Springs house this summer.....because no one wants to live there.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

Colorado is where people go when they couldn't make it California.