Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Post by ousdahl »

Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:59 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:26 pm I mean yea I think you could say the U.S. housing policies in general have resulted in a housing crisis. The numbers suggested are usually something like 600k homeless and 15 million vacant homes.

I dunno about this numbers for sure tho. Cuz it almost seems like there’s 600k homeless in Denver alone.

But yes, the crisis is even more pronounced in resort areas. The local community struggles to find housing and ends up settling for whatever they can get, while the vast majority of housing sits vacant for like 51 weeks a year.
Which "US policies" are you referring to?
Whichever policies have created this much housing insecurity in the otherwise wealthiest and most resource-abundant nation in the history of history?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:45 am
ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:26 pm I mean yea I think you could say the U.S. housing policies in general have resulted in a housing crisis. The numbers suggested are usually something like 600k homeless and 15 million vacant homes.

I dunno about this numbers for sure tho. Cuz it almost seems like there’s 600k homeless in Denver alone.

But yes, the crisis is even more pronounced in resort areas. The local community struggles to find housing and ends up settling for whatever they can get, while the vast majority of housing sits vacant for like 51 weeks a year.
Whichever policies have created this much housing insecurity in the otherwise wealthiest and most resource-abundant nation in the history of history?
OK, yeah, those "policies". Got it.

Thanks. Learning something new is good.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s a systematic thing.

We systemically value Evil Rich People’s opportunity to hoard housing inventory so they can have a spot to vacation for 6 days a year, more than we value the locals serving their chicken tenders’s opportunity to live somewhere better than a parking lot.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i love it when people just speak out of their ass

it’s like Ace Ventura in real life!! (but not funny)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

and round and round we go until people get fed up with your whiny bullshit and complete lack of actual effort towards anything at all.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And yet, if I did post here about any “effort” toward anything, tdub would whine about that too.

It’s also pretty cynical or something to imply I need to point to some specific “policies” to convince you guys that maybe the housing situation and homelessness in this country is a little fucked up.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Shirley wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:01 am

OK, yeah, those "policies". Got it.

Thanks. Learning something new is good.
LOL

i waited all night for that answer.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:44 am Trying to decide how much systemic change can really happen without revolution.
Your level of dedication and effort is admirable Che-sdahl.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:35 am And yet, if I did post here about any “effort” toward anything, tdub would whine about that too.

It’s also pretty cynical or something to imply I need to point to some specific “policies” to convince you guys that maybe the housing situation and homelessness in this country is a little fucked up.
Then don't say the word policies if you aren’t aware of actual policies you want to discuss. Just say "homelessness sucks or makes you sad" or that you're pissed other people have vacation homes and you don't.

Also, what on earth do rich people's vacation homes have to do with homelessness?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

japhy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:08 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:44 am Trying to decide how much systemic change can really happen without revolution.
Does Q have the balls to revolt and forcibly overthrow the system?

Me thinks not.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:12 am
japhy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:08 am
Does Q have the balls to revolt and forcibly overthrow the system?

Me thinks not.
https://youtu.be/WeYsTmIzjkw?si=cXAQv6fBrU7s08y4
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Whining about injustice is the work he wants. Get that pile of lumber off the lot.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:06 am It’s a systematic thing.

We systemically value Evil Rich People’s opportunity to hoard housing inventory so they can have a spot to vacation for 6 days a year, more than we value the locals serving their chicken tenders’s opportunity to live somewhere better than a parking lot.
So we are talking about policies like, The Fair Housing Act which says if I have money and want to buy a house or two or three I damn well can.

So you're thinking the comrades working at Arby's should buy the $4M estate with frontage on the Frasier and turn it into a commune....sweet.

What other investments do you think Evil Rich People should not be able to put money into because the comrades are entitled to a better life?

Or is it just real estate?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it’s a whole lot easier to complain than it is to actually attempt to affect change
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sparko wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:15 am Whining about injustice is the work he wants. Get that pile of lumber off the lot.
careful, Q says you're slipping into Tdub territory with Comments like that
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:35 am And yet, if I did post here about any “effort” toward anything, tdub would whine about that too.

There's that word again, "effort".

I have given you examples of what has been done in Pagosa Springs, in Salida and now we are working towards something in the Tartarian Empire. Explain to me why those models don't apply to the Frasier valley? What efforts have you and the comrades made to try and copy proven models for bringing affordable housing to Colorado?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It is hard trying to hold two thoughts at once. Like having an election in the political season. Golf talented trophy theft.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Like many other things, "housing" tends to cycle, some people think on an ~ 18 year basis. (You can look it up!)

The cycle is a combination of market forces and government policies. You put the blame on "US policies", but apparently have no idea what "policies" you mean, other than "government bad!*". That's intellectually lazy.

*Who knew you were a deeply closeted Reaganite?

(Although that does explain a number of things...)
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

In the last 30 years or so I can think of more policies enacted to help with affordable and fair housing practices than I can think of that hurt housing.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

One thought, a lot of homes are built by small businesses, folks like comrade Defix. For a small business there is less risk in building one $2.5M home under contract than there is building 25 spec homes for $100k each. There are 25X as many things that can get fucked up and cost them money. It's the same calculus that makes me prefer working on a $175M project for Zygi Wilf than a housing project for the KCMO Housing Authority. I have comrades who depend on the paycheck I sign every two weeks to feed their families and pay their mortgages.

And as pointed out, most housing policy changes in the last decade or two have been geared towards reducing the cost and risk for the lower end of the market.