Triple option

Kansas Football.
kubandalum

Triple option

Post by kubandalum »

“When you think of the good old days, think one word: dentistry.” — P.J. O’Rourke
noosh

Re: Triple option

Post by noosh »

cool
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Far be it from me to be a contrarian here, but this wasn't/isn't a triple option. It's much closer to a traditional Run/Pass Option.

A true triple option, as they run at Army, involves a fullback. The first option is always a full-back dive and the quarterback watches to see if a linebacker bites on the dive. If so, the play is to go far outside or a cut around end.

From there's it's essentially what Vince Lombardi describes as creating a seal at the line and at receiver for an alley.

There's multiple variations out of the triple option as well. The biggest being a trap playing involving possibly a tight end cutting back the opposite way and through the middle.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

chiknbut wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:11 pm Far be it from me to be a contrarian here, but this wasn't/isn't a triple option. It's much closer to a traditional Run/Pass Option.

A true triple option, as they run at Army, involves a fullback. The first option is always a full-back dive and the quarterback watches to see if a linebacker bites on the dive. If so, the play is to go far outside or a cut around end.

From there's it's essentially what Vince Lombardi describes as creating a seal at the line and at receiver for an alley.

There's multiple variations out of the triple option as well. The biggest being a trap playing involving possibly a tight end cutting back the opposite way and through the middle.

Get off my lawn
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

With both Herbert and Pooka in the backfield, KU runs a MHB option. Multi-Headed Beast.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 pm
chiknbut wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:11 pm Far be it from me to be a contrarian here, but this wasn't/isn't a triple option. It's much closer to a traditional Run/Pass Option.

Get off my lawn
LOL.