AOC

Ugh.
Walrus

Re: AOC

Post by Walrus »

We used to be able to pay among the highest wages in the world, even for service jobs. The reason was because we used to produce most of the things we buy. Now, almost everything with consume comes from overseas and we have more debt than everyone else.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

that’s a false narrative

do some research
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Walrus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:45 pm It would be better to let the free market determine the minimum wage. Singapore does this. The real reason why wages are low and will continue to stay low is because we just don't produce very much in America anymore.
Singapore is “free” the same way I have my wife’s permission to run around saying I’m the Master of our household
Deleted User 89

don’t they cane people for walking on the grass?

yeah, seems like that’s the kind of society we should be emulating
Deleted User 89

lol...no wonder lobs likes singapore

https://channelnewsasia.com/news/singap ... s-13193956
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:51 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm Who’s loosing jobs though?

What business model depends so explicitly on paying the lowest wages legally allowed? How is that a sustainable business model either way?

What business couldn’t offset an increase in wages with an increase in consumer prices?

It just seems like hyperbole - that there’s all these business owners who would rather close up shop than just pay employees better. Cut off your nose to spite your face, why dontcha.

It almost sounds like those job creators aren’t shit without employees - who needs whom more, again?
i generally agree with you on the business model aspect

but, there will undoubtedly be some job loss...likely from the smallest of small businesses
This is the problem I have if the proposal is to immediately increase the minimum wage to 15 - it's a gift to large corporations and is a barrier to entry for new businesses. I can't understand the mindset of someone like Ousdahl who hates big corporations yet wants a large minimum wage hike.

Except, that's not exactly the proposal, right? If it's slowly phased in I think it could work.
Deleted User 89

Mjl wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:52 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:51 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm Who’s loosing jobs though?

What business model depends so explicitly on paying the lowest wages legally allowed? How is that a sustainable business model either way?

What business couldn’t offset an increase in wages with an increase in consumer prices?

It just seems like hyperbole - that there’s all these business owners who would rather close up shop than just pay employees better. Cut off your nose to spite your face, why dontcha.

It almost sounds like those job creators aren’t shit without employees - who needs whom more, again?
i generally agree with you on the business model aspect

but, there will undoubtedly be some job loss...likely from the smallest of small businesses
This is the problem I have if the proposal is to immediately increase the minimum wage to 15 - it's a gift to large corporations and is a barrier to entry for new businesses. I can't understand the mindset of someone like Ousdahl who hates big corporations yet wants a large minimum wage hike.

Except, that's not exactly the proposal, right? If it's slowly phased in I think it could work.
i think you’re right about it being slowly phased in

i just think that it’s silly to suggest there’s a magic bullet solution. $15/hr is a decent pay in many rural parts of this country, but barely a drop in the bucket in others

imo, the whole idea needs to be reimagined and retooled to be more practical, both in real time and moving forward to account for things like inflation and local costs of living
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:07 pm We used to be able to pay among the highest wages in the world, even for service jobs. The reason was because we used to produce most of the things we buy. Now, almost everything with consume comes from overseas and we have more debt than everyone else.
I would love to see your sources on where the US wage compared in the world back when we "used to produce stuff".
Deleted User 89

:lol:
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:28 pm Yeah. I guess I can see how raising wages may eliminate certain positions, maybe.

But overall I don’t get how raising wages will be this huge job killer. Couldn’t it also be that giving consumers more buying power will create more jobs in the long run?

Does that mean to suggest that consumers with more money won’t be buying more things? Or won’t be buying more things beyond the basic necessities they’re often already struggling to buy?

And does that mean to suggest that certain jobs exist only because wages are so cheap, irrespective of consumer demand?

Unless jobs really are created not by consumer demand but by tax cuts for the job creators, I guess.
I think you allow for some waivers or exceptions in a very narrow and specific set of circumstances, and you can probably offset the majority of the job losses.

Also, didn't McD's come out recently saying that they would be able to afford the increase in minimum wage?

If so, doesn't that beg the question of why, if you can afford to pay your employees more, don't you do so already?!?!?!?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

:lol:

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) raged after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) rolled back coronavirus restrictions in the state, including the mask mandate, on Tuesday, warning that the move “endangers the entire country and beyond.”

“93.2% of Texans aren’t fully vaccinated. The state just endured one disaster worsened by selfishness + denial of basic science, and now conditions are being set for another,” the far-left Democrat said, expressing outrage over the governor’s decision to roll back the statewide mask mandate, which had been in effect since July.

“Repealing the mask mandate now endangers so many people, especially essential workers & the vulnerable,” she continued, warning that reopening the state “endangers the entire country and beyond.

“We are in a pandemic. We know that COVID spread isn’t neatly contained by state borders, and explosions in COVID cases can increase the likelihood of new COVID variants to develop or spread to new places,” she added. “It’s dangerous”:

This endangers the entire country and beyond. We are in a pandemic. We know that COVID spread isn’t neatly contained by state borders, and explosions in COVID cases can increase the likelihood of new COVID variants to develop or spread to new places. It’s dangerous.

— Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) March 2, 2021
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 89

zing?
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Leawood will appreciate this. Perhaps the best she has to offer. :shock:

Last edited by Walrus on Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

quality post...quality
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Good job. Good effort.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Leawood

Post by Leawood »

She gave her first in-person, maskless interview on Latino USA on NPR. Worth a listen.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Mixed reactions to her "statement" it appears.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:38 am Mixed reactions to her "statement" it appears.
She isn't wrong.