Tacos v Enchiladas

You Love It.
ChalkRocker

Re: Tacos v Enchiladas

Post by ChalkRocker »

TDub wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:58 am Not a huge fan of duck...Never had it at a restaurant, maybe thats the issue.
You are correct.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't like duck in a taco or enchilada but do like duck.
I had a good duck breast in KC a bit ago at Rye.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 am Cabeza is good.
Lengua, as Tdub said, is good.
Tripe is one of my favs

All beef, all good and none of it boring.
i would agree

when someone just says beef, without specifying special preparation, i assume it’s basic ground or shredded...which are boring when there are so many better options
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:02 am
TDub wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:58 am Not a huge fan of duck. Perhaps ive never had it prepared properly. Always seems overly greasy and a little chewy to me. I dunno, i hear people say its a fantastic red meat. Never had it at a restaurant, maybe thats the issue.

With duck, the fat is the thing. Duck breast should be medium rare and and is almost beefy tasting. Score the skin, sear skin side down until brown and then finish in a hot oven. Use the rendered fat for roasted new potatoes.

Legs need to be roasted well done or done confit. I have had dry, chewy duck and it ain't good.
Good to know. Perhaps ill give it another try.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think just because a lot of people eat it doesn't make it not good ( but it can make it boring ).
Ground beef can be delicious.
I don't care if a hard shell taco with beef is a 'gringo' deal -- often ( depending on my mood ) I prefer it to a street taco with cow tongue.

Sometimes at a 'fancy' restaurant with a bunch of non boring options, i'll order the burger because a. a burger can be delicious and b. i'm in the mood for a burger.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I have had duck jerky that was delicious. But, then again, jerky is good out of almost anything.

Any tips on bear? Bear sausage is delicious. I just cant find a good way to make bear meat taste good except for in sausage mixed with a little beef and beef fat.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:50 am I think just because a lot of people eat it doesn't make it not good ( but it can make it boring ).
Ground beef can be delicious.
I don't care if a hard shell taco with beef is a 'gringo' deal -- often ( depending on my mood ) I prefer it to a street taco with cow tongue.

Sometimes at a 'fancy' restaurant with a bunch of non boring options, i'll order the burger because a. a burger can be delicious and b. i'm in the mood for a burger.
This is all true.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That also doesn't mean that I won't try almost every single food on the planet once.
Sometimes I just want 3 hardshell tacos with ground beef and shredded cheese.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 am I have had duck jerky that was delicious. But, then again, jerky is good out of almost anything.

Any tips on bear? Bear sausage is delicious. I just cant find a good way to make bear meat taste good except for in sausage mixed with a little beef and beef fat.
I had bear a really long time ago. One of the regulars at the restaurant I cooked at shot it in Montana. I didn't care for it, but it's been so long I can't remember. I've had no desire to try it again.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Its very grissly and greasy. Ive heard rumors it can be very good. But, as i said, sausage is the only solution ive tasted so far that wasnt awful.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

pdub wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am That also doesn't mean that I won't try almost every single food on the planet once.
Sometimes I just want 3 hardshell tacos with ground beef and shredded cheese.
taco bell
Deleted User 89

the only terrestrial carnivores i've tasted that are worth a damn are gator and monitor lizard
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Never had lizard, gator is....odd.

I hear great things about the backstrap of cougar. Havent tried it yet but have been told its phenomenal.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There are places that make hard shell tacos with ground beef and shredded cheese way better than taco bell. I would just go there.
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

This thread has sealed the deal....kids and I are going out for Mexican tonight since the wife works late...tacos and enchiladas for me (beef....yes, boring ground beef).... chicken tenders and fries for the kids (don't ask....but in their defense this Mexican place has pretty dang good kids menu tenders and fries)...I know, I'm raising these kids wrong. They like tacos and stuff at home, but don't like them out for some reason because they are too stubborn to believe me when I say they're better at the restaurant. But not worth the battle if they'll just sit politely and let me eat my enchiladas.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Picadillo is usually made from ground beef and is anything but boring.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

Anyone else's kids do the thing where they pretend to try a food but already know they're going to say yuck? Even if they've literally eaten that thing before unknowingly. Talk about wanting to slam your head onto the table. They don't even give it a fair chance. Took my until just recently for my son to give peanut butter and jelly a fair chance and now he wants it multiple times a week.

Fucking kids I tell ya.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My oldest daughter used to love broccoli when she was young. Then she found out that her friends hated it and didn't eat it again until high school. She swore she hated guacamole until her friend's dad made it. She eventually learned to seek out new foods and try anything despite what her friends thought. She's become a pretty good cook.

My youngest is exactly the opposite. Will not try anything new. Mostly lives off fast food unless I'm cooking one of her favorites.

Keep being excited for new and interesting food and hope they come around. You can't force tastes on 'em.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

whoa whoa whoa. Beef is fucking amazing. What are we doing here?

Prime Rib, Beef Tenderloin, the versatility of sirloin, The majesty of a T-bone steak, a pot roast on a cold day, Fajitas made with flank steak or skirt steak, a fucking juicy hamburger (sorry, but with cheese).
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm with ya except for maybe the tenderloin. That is boring.
Defense. Rebounds.