Khalil Herbert

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: Khalil Herbert

Post by holidaysmore »

The more you think about this the more it just doesn't make sense. Why go through all of spring and summer workouts and play three games just to quit. If winning was an issue he should have transferred years ago.

I can see the case for Dom but Les was going to keep feeding Juice and you have to believe that Les has great connections with NFL personnel and scouts.

I hope someone is sitting down with him and having a very frank conversation about the potential consequences of this decision.
Holidaysmore - 2005
noosh

Post by noosh »

It makes complete sense. He knows he sucks and without prolonging career he has no shot of getting his brain mashed in for a paycheck. He can make this about playing for Kansas but it's really about him sucking.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:15 am The more you think about this the more it just doesn't make sense. Why go through all of spring and summer workouts and play three games just to quit. If winning was an issue he should have transferred years ago.

I can see the case for Dom but Les was going to keep feeding Juice and you have to believe that Les has great connections with NFL personnel and scouts.

I hope someone is sitting down with him and having a very frank conversation about the potential consequences of this decision.
Sit down with him? Maybe for his sake, sure, but the damage has been done and you can’t allow him back on this team.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

noosh wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:40 am It makes complete sense. He knows he sucks and without prolonging career he has no shot of getting his brain mashed in for a paycheck. He can make this about playing for Kansas but it's really about him sucking.
He may not be an NFL back but he doesn't suck. And it's not like he wasn't aware that Kansas sucks when he chose to come here.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

imo, Khalil really shafted his teammates.

He's WAS a Captain. He's bailing.

Does he regret how the prgm. has changed? I'll bet. Does he want what's best for himself and his fam? No doubt.

Is he free to make his choice as he deems fit? No argument. He is.

But he really shafted his teammates.

All of these things can be true at the same time, and (again) imo, they are.

Deeply disappointed.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He’s a quitter.
It’s a bad use of the 4 game redshirt rule.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Once a jayhawk always a jayhawk, right?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The man earned his money playing here.
Good luck with whatever is next.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

So everyone ripping on him know exactly why he "quit"?
Can someone please share with me what that reason is?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Well I’ll say this..

If it was something family related or health wise, we’d likely know by now.

Considering Les didn’t say much, the players didn’t know until right before the game and many other factors, this seems, key word seems, to be him quitting on the season and then redshirting to transfer somewhere else.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Likely being the key word.
I'm not saying he didn't quit on his teammates and coaches (and fans) and if he did, he very well may deserve ridicule for it. Until I know for sure what happened, it's just not clear to me if I should be overly critical of him. Usually I am too quick to judge, now I am probably being too slow to judge. I'll wait and see what if anything comes out - and see if I actually believe what will probably be a properly scripted statement by someone/s.
The Chicago Bears have a guy (Roquan Smith) in a similar situation right now and it's interesting that it seems about 75/25 in terms of support (75%) and ridicule (25%). He hasn't "quit" per se but it's unclear what exactly is going on.
ThroughThePhog

Post by ThroughThePhog »

4 things that are more likely than Kansas beating OU this Saturday:

https://throughthephog.com/2019/10/02/f ... -oklahoma/
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Paul1 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:30 am So everyone ripping on him know exactly why he "quit"?
Can someone please share with me what that reason is?
1.) Reason #1 - He's a kid, and kids make selfish decisions that they (hopefully) won't make when they get older
2.) Reason #2 - The transfer portal provides a (nearly) penalty-free way to make a selfish decision without permanently impacting one's college career prospects
3.) Reason #3 - Kids that play at the Division 1 level have spent their lives up to that point being the best on their team, their school, their league, etc. and having everyone tell them how great they are.

Combine that with #1 and #2, and add in not getting as many carries as one feels they deserve, and you have a kid who quits on his team four games in and walks away in a huff. In the old days, the school would have held his eligibility over his head and he would either disappear down the depth chart, amend his attitude, or drop out and go work at Wal-Mart. It's a brave new world.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If he is having some personal issues with himself/family, then that's another story.
You afford him his reasons.
If he sits out this year and then transfers to another school to play a full season next year, well, he's a quitter, along the lines of Grimes ( but as a senior - oof ).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Officially gone from the program. Too bad.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
surly

Post by surly »

Too much attention on Pooka.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I read Herbert's response. I'm still confused...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"As many of you know by now, I made the decision to redshirt before the last game," Herbert wrote. "I am aware that things have been misinterpreted, but my intentions were not harmful. I intended to come back for my redshirt senior year, not to transfer or leave my teammates.

"Redshirting had many unforeseen consequences that my family and I did not know would result from this decision. Although things did not work out the way either side intended, I want you to know my intention was to not hurt the university, Jayhawk Nation, or my teammates."

Huh?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

pdub wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:46 am "As many of you know by now, I made the decision to redshirt before the last game," Herbert wrote. "I am aware that things have been misinterpreted, but my intentions were not harmful. I intended to come back for my redshirt senior year, not to transfer or leave my teammates.

"Redshirting had many unforeseen consequences that my family and I did not know would result from this decision. Although things did not work out the way either side intended, I want you to know my intention was to not hurt the university, Jayhawk Nation, or my teammates."

Huh?
Translation: "So, my family and I met with Coach Miles before the TCU game and gave him an ultimatum: either make me the focus of the offense or I will redshirt this year - you can choose Option A or Option B. Coach Miles chose Option C - You don't tell me how to run my program. You can play how I tell you to or leave. So I left."
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
noosh

Post by noosh »

This guy used the reasoning tactics I get from my 10 year old.

I WAS GOING TO DO THIS, BUT YOU MADE ME MAD SO NOW I'M DOING THAT.

I mean good luck in the XFL dude.