Other Sports.
Deleted User 89

Re: usa olympics

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i thought George Carlin died?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

TraditionKU wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:42 am i thought George Carlin died?
💀 😂
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Japan takes down USA 2-0 in the gold medal baseball game.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

Women's hoops. All the rightful glory.
Women's volleyball. No one cares?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Great accomplishment for women’s volleyball and head coach Karch Kiraly. Kiraly is a volleyball legend.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dominated the total medal count but just barely beat out China for total golds.

No American man won gold in track - first time in modern Olympic history.
Deleted User 89

i’m sure it’s because they’re too woke
Deleted User 89

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:24 am speaking of...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nbc-olymp ... e-protests
So dumb. I heard about two US "protests" but I never actually saw any of them. And I didn't see or here announcers talking about controversial things at all. I just didn't thing there were many compelling "must watch" US athletes in this Olympics. The fact that we already knew the results of just about every event before it was shown in prime time also reduced the need to tune in.

On second thought, I wouldn't doubt if there really are a big bunch of people out there who simply refused to watch the Olympics because they were full of US athlete's who dared to take a knee, support BLM or speak out against their beloved leader. But that says more about them. Will it result in companies gaining the upper hand and being able to pay less for ads during the Olympics in the future? Maybe and that would probably be great for me. So I guess I should thank them because maybe them choosing not to watch the Olympics, while I still got to enjoy them, will result in me saving a few bucks on some products that didn't have to cost so much because their advertising campaign cost less.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

It was difficult to get into this olympics and i didnt know about a single protest. NBC did a poor job with coverage, no fans, didnt seem all that interesting. The most discussed thing that happened was about Biles because she didnt compete.

Used to love the Olympics....this year just was off for whatever reason.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I tried to watch as much as I could but didn’t end up watching much at all. I was trying to catch sports that we don’t commonly see like handball, table tennis, badminton, field hockey and water polo. NBC was really bad, as they had a great opportunity to show many events live, especially west coast time. Granted they were hampered by the time difference but they just exacerbated it with very unimaginative programming.
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

sdoyel wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:24 am Great accomplishment for women’s volleyball and head coach Karch Kiraly. Kiraly is a volleyball legend.
My old amigo (who I have mentioned is the CEO of USA Volleyball) and Karch.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:59 pm I tried to watch as much as I could but didn’t end up watching much at all. I was trying to catch sports that we don’t commonly see like handball, table tennis, badminton, field hockey and water polo. NBC was really bad, as they had a great opportunity to show many events live, especially west coast time. Granted they were hampered by the time difference but they just exacerbated it with very unimaginative programming.
I probably watched more of the Olympics than the average person, and I saw no diving. That's one of my favorite Olympic events!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

i saw a ton of diving for some reason. Also saw a ton of beach volleyball. Im not particularly enthralled with either. Im pretty sure NBC tailored each persons viewing experience to most closely coincide with what they didnt want to watch.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

one third to one half of the summer olympic sports are unwatchable for the average watcher.

no fans + huge time difference = meh for most casual watchers.

i'm glad it is over.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:21 pm
zsn wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:59 pm I tried to watch as much as I could but didn’t end up watching much at all. I was trying to catch sports that we don’t commonly see like handball, table tennis, badminton, field hockey and water polo. NBC was really bad, as they had a great opportunity to show many events live, especially west coast time. Granted they were hampered by the time difference but they just exacerbated it with very unimaginative programming.
I probably watched more of the Olympics than the average person, and I saw no diving. That's one of my favorite Olympic events!
I only saw a little bit of diving. Lots of gymnastics, swimming, basketball, volleyball, water polo, handball, track & field. I wish I would have saw more diving and canoeing. The white water stuff is really fun to watch, it just never seemed to be on the channel I watched when I tuned in.
Deleted User 89

i’d imagine that this year is arbiter if things to come

i’d be shocked if tv ratings improve for upcoming games, regardless of time zone (lol)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:53 am i’d imagine that this year is arbiter if things to come

i’d be shocked if tv ratings improve for upcoming games, regardless of time zone (lol)
The ratings for the Winter Olympics (starting in...checking...seven months) are going to be dismal. Winter always draws less, and there will not be anything new or fresh about there being Olympics.

And, the time zone thing is just a killer.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:53 am i’d imagine that this year is arbiter if things to come

It may not ever be what it used to be, but I think the year delay and COVID in general had a negative effect.

Sports ratings are down across the board.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:15 pm

It may not ever be what it used to be, but I think the year delay and COVID in general had a negative effect.

Sports ratings are down across the board.
absolutely

covid has caused an enormous increase in cost for such things...and the olympics was a loosing financial proposition prior

post-9/11 security measures, and now covid-linked health measures have only exacerbated the cost/revenue issue associated with the games