usa olympics

Other Sports.
TDub
Contributor

Re: usa olympics

Post by TDub »

Ive been assured by the Rhodes scholars here that 9/11 changed nothing.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

yup, that was the exact sentiment

how very mich of you
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Oh boy. Here we go....
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:20 am yup, that was the exact sentiment

how very mich of you
It was. I was specifically told that no ones life changed because of 9/11. The govt can monitor now? So? Im not doing anything....didnt change my life 1 bit. Etc. Theres several paragraphs about it. 2coach, oddly enough, was the voice of reason in that discussion.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:07 am

how very mich of you
It was. I was specifically told that no ones life changed because of 9/11. The govt can monitor now? So? Im not doing anything....didnt change my life 1 bit. Etc. Theres several paragraphs about it. 2coach, oddly enough, was the voice of reason in that discussion.
perhaps i’m wrong then...i’ll have to go trudge through the covid thread (?) to see

i think it’s pretty obvious things changed after 9/11

other than extra security to get on an airplane though, my life hasn’t changed...or rather, i haven’t changed the way i live my life
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:07 am

how very mich of you
It technically doesn't change my life if every Friday at 2pm six police officers are allowed to search through my belongings.

"Does it force me to do anything different" isn't the bar. "[t]he right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

You'd think the Constitution loving patriots would have more of an issue with this being violated. Unless all this nonsense really isn't about the Constitution at all and is instead about "what requires me to behave differently than I want".
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You dont have to convince me, im with you.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

diplomatic boycott

i mean, i get it, but i’m not sure a symbolic gesture does much of substance to address china’s human rights issues
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:39 pm diplomatic boycott

i mean, i get it, but i’m not sure a symbolic gesture does much of substance to address china’s human rights issues
WTA leaving China also a hit. But, not sure what affect that will really have
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

My buddy's son is in the Olympics - again.
Wish I knew if it's the USA Olympic committee and/or the USA ski team, or a different entity that is preventing him from being there until the 9th.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZib1NmOhuk/?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Best wishes for him, but the whole thing is going to exhaust my strategic reserves of “meh”.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a meh from me.
This is what happens when you over saturate an event that has more allure because of absence and anticipation.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I used to enjoy summer way more than winter, but now they are about the same to me--a couple events I will want to watch if they are convenient, but for the most part ignore.

I do get this feeling that the winter athletes are more regular everyday people, which is kinda cool.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I used to love the Olympics but the media coverage is as poor as humanly possible. Completely unwatchable
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:13 am I used to enjoy summer way more than winter, but now they are about the same to me--a couple events I will want to watch if they are convenient, but for the most part ignore.

I do get this feeling that the winter athletes are more regular everyday people, which is kinda cool.
Whoa whoa whoa do not EVER break character like that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:40 am It's a meh from me.
This is what happens when you over saturate an event that has more allure because of absence and anticipation.
I agree. Not these games’ fault, but we just HAD Olympics.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:28 am I used to love the Olympics but the media coverage is as poor as humanly possible. Completely unwatchable
be grateful you don’t live here

not sure if this is the case for other locales that have hosted, but local news has been shoving it down our throats for more than a week
Last edited by KUTradition on Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:31 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:13 am I used to enjoy summer way more than winter, but now they are about the same to me--a couple events I will want to watch if they are convenient, but for the most part ignore.

Whoa whoa whoa do not EVER break character like that.
I know it.

I think the nuance here is when you hear BS from guys like LeBron saying it's about country and pride. Come on, it's about his Q Score. For a downhill skier, curler, figure or speed skater, etc., this is their NBA. And then some of them have to go back and go through the 9-5.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:37 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:28 am I used to love the Olympics but the media coverage is as poor as humanly possible. Completely unwatchable

not sure if this is the case for other locales that have hosted, but local news has been shoving it down our throats for more than a week
I'm 95% sure that I would much rather go to Park City for the winter games over LA for the summer games. Which, I would have vehemently disagreed with that previously.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:40 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:37 am

I'm 95% sure that I would much rather go to Park City for the winter games over LA for the summer games. Which, I would have vehemently disagreed with that previously.
definitely

and it’s a cool thing that we hosted, so i kind of get it. but the coverage is nauseating…if i didn’t know better, i’d think we were hosting again by the way it’s being covered locally
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?