usa olympics

Other Sports.
Deleted User 863

Re: usa olympics

Post by Deleted User 863 »

And definitely not trying to be unfair to her or pile on. I am a Simone Biles fan. Glad to see others are showing support. They still won Silver in the team comp and that's amazing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR1zLq6H-3Q ... =copy_link
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

My worthless 2 cents but I truly believe this.
She shouldn't have gone to Tokyo.
She did to appease her teammates, her fans, and her country, more than herself. Very admirable. Until she quit on them.
Deleted User 863

NotGutterGutter wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:47 pm My worthless 2 cents but I truly believe this.
She shouldn't have gone to Tokyo.
She did to appease her teammates, her fans, and her country, more than herself. Very admirable.
Agreed. She has even said she participated for others.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

One question I've seen a few times on twitter when it comes to showing support for Biles and her "mental health"...

Would you show the same support if Kevin Durant announced he wasn't going to play anymore after the loss to France? Or if the USWNT decided to pack it up after being shut out by Sweden?
Deleted User 863

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:14 pm One question I've seen a few times on twitter when it comes to showing support for Biles and her "mental health"...

Would you show the same support if Kevin Durant announced he wasn't going to play anymore after the loss to France? Or if the USWNT decided to pack it up after being shut out by Sweden?
It'd have been more like if he pulled himself from the game after Fournier hit the 3 to take the lead.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:16 pm
NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:14 pm One question I've seen a few times on twitter when it comes to showing support for Biles and her "mental health"...

It'd have been more like if he pulled himself from the game after Fournier hit the 3 to take the lead.
Exactly. I'm all for not messing around when it comes to mental health, but you know well before you take the floor/field/stage/ice/whatever if your mentals are there or not. I believe you have to take care of yourself first. I also believe her mentals would have been just fine if she stuck that landing.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Again, I just think that is all apples to oranges.

For some reason, this one just feels really weird to be sitting on an internet message board telling it like it is to an Olympic athlete and one that has already proven to be a medalist and all-time great.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i just want to add that nobody here knows what she’s dealing with...could be depression or anxiety, but could also be any number of other things
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:43 pm Again, I just think that is all apples to oranges.

For some reason, this one just feels really weird to be sitting on an internet message board telling it like it is to an Olympic athlete and one that has already proven to be a medalist and all-time great.
I'm not sure what to make of the whole thing. I'm glad people are generally more willing to talk about mental health, and that the slow work of undoing stigma is being done.

But, there's a part of me that feels also like what happened is that she choked. That she succumbed to the pressure of the moment.

Which is something that happens! It's just not supposed to happen to her; indeed, one of the many things that makes her arguably the greatest Olympian of all time is that she does not choke.

So I guess, I'm good with not calling her a quitter, etc. - she knew she was going to hurt her team, so she pulled the ripcord. There's something noble in that. But I'm a bit uncomfortable with the lionizing that's going on.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I just said I believe it to be that way. Never pretended to say this is the way it is. From the outside looking in, it's just odd that these mental issues came up during the first time in her athletic career she faced some adversity.

If she truly does have mental issues, I hope she gets the help she needs and can overcome them. It's just hard to, again, from the outside looking in, not look at a lot of athletes using "mental health" as a cop out, especially when it comes immediately after failing for one of the very few times in their life.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:06 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:43 pm Again, I just think that is all apples to oranges.

I'm not sure what to make of the whole thing. I'm glad people are generally more willing to talk about mental health, and that the slow work of undoing stigma is being done.

But, there's a part of me that feels also like what happened is that she choked. That she succumbed to the pressure of the moment.

Which is something that happens! It's just not supposed to happen to her; indeed, one of the many things that makes her arguably the greatest Olympian of all time is that she does not choke.

So I guess, I'm good with not calling her a quitter, etc. - she knew she was going to hurt her team, so she pulled the ripcord. There's something noble in that. But I'm a bit uncomfortable with the lionizing that's going on.
Oh I did not know that was occurring--I would agree with that.

I personally don't think ridicule or praise is particularly appropriate here.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:09 pm I just said I believe it to be that way. Never pretended to say this is the way it is. From the outside looking in, it's just odd that these mental issues came up during the first time in her athletic career she faced some adversity.

If she truly does have mental issues, I hope she gets the help she needs and can overcome them. It's just hard to, again, from the outside looking in, not look at a lot of athletes using "mental health" as a cop out, especially when it comes immediately after failing for one of the very few times in their life.
I just think the "next play/next down" mentality is probably not applicable here. I have never participated in the sport but know enough that millisecond changes can mean broken bones.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:12 pm I personally don't think ridicule or praise is particularly appropriate here.
Agree 100% even though i have been critical of her.

My guess is she doesn't read this messageboard so it seemed more okay to be critical or speculate since it won't hurt anyone in the grand scheme of things (if that makes sense). In real life it would be inappropriate and disrepectful to question or speculate about her mental health and the causes of her issues last night.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:12 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:06 pm

Oh I did not know that was occurring--I would agree with that.

I personally don't think ridicule or praise is particularly appropriate here.
Again, this feels callous, but...if we're supposed to treat mental health issues the way we treat physical injuries, then...it sort of is what it is. She broke her leg, is in a lot of pain, and we're robbed of the chance to see her excel. That sucks for everyone.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I'll just play devil's advocate here as I haven't been following this.

But within the realm of physical injuries we still hash things out. So, if mental illness follows the same rules, how do we know when it's the equivalent of a broken leg vs. a jammed finger?

Is that left completely up to the athlete. (Obviously the decision to play or not should be, but I mean, you just take them at their word and leave it at that?)

This of course works the other way too. There's probably been several athletes who've had a Kerry Strug moment where they perservered through a mental issue to still prevail in an athletic competition. And they probably have not been properly celebrated.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

We all have "mental issues" to differing degrees.
Whatever she is currently going through just happened to happen with "the world's eyes" upon her.
Worst possible time.
I truly sympathize but as someone who has gone through group and individual therapy for many issues, fair or not, the truth is she let down others. I know how horrible that feels. This is someone who spoke of the weight SHE was feeling before she bowed out. My guess is she now feels an added weight because of her letting others down. When it rains it pours.
Hopefully she does what is best for her (either retire or get the help she needs to get back in to a mental state in which she can compete - if she truly wants to) and can move on from this and live a healthy and happy life.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I just can't compare physical issues with mental.
There are physical issues to where it is literally impossible to compete. And then physical issues where it makes it very difficult to compete.
Severe stress and anxiety is very different than that for me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NDballer13 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:14 pm Would you show the same support if Kevin Durant announced he wasn't going to play anymore after the loss to France?
This.
He would have been shred to pieces.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

...Biles’ stunning decision comes after a tumultuous five years that she and USAG have undergone since 2016. Biles is the only survivor of a sexual abuse scandal that has upturned USAG in the past five years who is still competing. In an interview with TIME before the Olympics began, Biles admitted that the postponement of the Games from last year weighed on her, as it would mean another year of dealing with the USAG and what the survivors feel is the organization’s lack of transparency and accountability...

https://time.com/6084384/why-simone-bil ... nt-silver/
Deleted User 863

Olympic golf starts tomorrow!

Not sure if i give a shit or not.

JT Xander and Morikawa could go 1 2 3 if they all play well. That'd be cool.

PReed is going to "want" it more than any Americans is my guess because he's got a whole lot of "fuck you" in his blood.

Hideki has incredible pressure on him. I am a sucker for a good story and him winning in JAPAN would be so cool to witness. He's who i am cheering for to win.

Cam Smith has some insane hair (Australia) and he's a cool dude.

For the draftkings players....i have a lineup for each of the favorites. But will be heavy on Hideki. Henrik Norlander is my low priced target. And then any low priced Euro Tour or PGA player. Mixing it up and not too committed to any guys (won't have anyone in over 35ish% of my lineups, probably do 15 lineups or so).

Have a weird feeling about Paul Casey. Never won a major. Maybe this will be his career highlight? Iirc Justin Rose won it last time. Maybe England can retain the gold again?