Best Fried Chicken

Coffee talk.
MICHHAWK

Re: Best Fried Chicken

Post by MICHHAWK »

Lettuce is added after the cooking process.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i ordered my first chicken and waffles after having seen it delivered to the table next to me on a previous visit...it just looked too good not to try

i've had it on two subsequent visits and have been pleased both times. as a kid, though, i was one who would try to sop up my syrup with the bacon slices, so i guess it kinda makes sense that i'd go for the sweet/salty mix
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Been waiting for the perfect moment to jump in this thread...

I’m with 99 in that I’m not big on sweets. I can appreciate real maple syrup but I don’t want more than a little. Fake maple syrup is awful. Isn’t it called like “table syrup” or some shit? Gross.

One joint in my neck had a 4-cheese pizza that they would top with arugula after it came out the oven. Really good, but kinda weird. But in the spirit of the thread, I’ve made chicken parm pizza at home, with chopped fried chicken from the grocery store deli as a topping. Good, but I still prefer pepperoni.

Regarding good fried chicken, I’m surprised no one had mentioned the tenders off the kid’s menu at Olive Garden.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If I was gonna start a restaurant, at least in a mountain resort town, I would do a soul food type chicken joint, similar to strouds.

All family style dining, with big sharing-size portions of fried chicken platters, green beans, corn, taters, stuff like that. Plus delicious biscuits and rolls. Who knows, maybe they would be throwed.

I imagine the margins would be better than your average menu. If there’s an advantage to the resort market, it’s that it might be easier to get away with a “serves 6-8” size bowl of green beans for like $21.95. And how much unit cost could there be to cracking a big can of beans and heating them up with a little (lot of) butter?

Families are the cash cow in a ski town, and there’s really no family style joint like that. Or like a soul food type joint. Or for that matter, any good fried chicken.

Actually, there’s one little roadside dive out in the sticks that has all you can eat fried chicken on Wednesdays. I’ll check it out and report back.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

If you're serving green beans out of a can I'm not eating there. Why not use fresh beans? They arent that much more expensive.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I agree TDub, but they're a pain to prep in the kind of quantities that you need. I'd hate to be the guy who has to top and tail 3 crates of green beans every day.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 pm If you're serving green beans out of a can I'm not eating there. Why not use fresh beans? They arent that much more expensive.
^^^^^^^^^
ousie already striking out

next thing we know, he’ll be microwaving mac & cheese out of a vacuum-sealed bag
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This thread inspired me to break my Popeyes chicken sandwich cherry.

Best fast food chicken sandwich I’ve had in the states by a long shot. Incredible.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I may have to get one.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You guys, if I was gonna do fresh green beans, I’d move to a bigger market on the west coast and do all that hippie farm to table shit.

I’m being a businessman. It’s a resort market. Fresh ingredients are tougher to come by, more expensive, and more prep time. Canned is better margins, easier logistics, and y’all tourists tend to be so hungry from traveling and recreating that no one will complain once they’re swimming in butter.

I mean what’s next, stop cooking the pulled pork in a crock pot?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:50 pm You guys, if I was gonna do fresh green beans, I’d move to a bigger market on the west coast and do all that hippie farm to table shit.

I’m being a businessman. It’s a resort market. Fresh ingredients are tougher to come by, more expensive, and more prep time. Canned is better margins, easier logistics, and y’all tourists tend to be so hungry from traveling and recreating that no one will complain once they’re swimming in bacon fat.

You owe me royalties on the recipe.
Defense. Rebounds.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:39 am Fried chicken is my thing.

You.

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/stat ... 25792?s=21
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think 99 could confirm: you either have freshly prepared green beans, or you have a restaurant.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soklous wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:59 pm

You.

Laugh all you want, I’m going viral and quitting my job to open up ousdahl’s canned food restaurant.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:58 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:50 pm You guys, if I was gonna do fresh green beans, I’d move to a bigger market on the west coast and do all that hippie farm to table shit.

I’m being a businessman. It’s a resort market. Fresh ingredients are tougher to come by, more expensive, and more prep time. Canned is better margins, easier logistics, and y’all tourists tend to be so hungry from traveling and recreating that no one will complain once they’re swimming in bacon fat.

You owe me royalties on the recipe.
Actually, that prompts another question: to what degree should a restaurant offer veggie/vegan dish options?
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Last edited by Trustee on Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:02 pm
Soklous wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:59 pm

You.

Laugh all you want, I’m going viral and quitting my job to open up ousdahl’s canned food restaurant.
And to think, when I suggested it in the funemployment thread, you just called me drunk.

How times have changed!

btw bro imma need you to look into that liquor license. I’d do it but I’m too busy heating up a fresh bag of mac and cheese for tk...
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:59 pm I think 99 could confirm: you either have freshly prepared green beans, or you have a restaurant.
I was in the biz from the mid 70's to the mid 90's. Only a couple of the restaurants I worked had even had green beans on the menu. Those that did used canned. Gussied up with bacon, onions, black pepper and wooooshtersire.

Today, I suspect that higher end, farm to table use fresh. Most of those give you like 5 beans so prepping isn't that big of a deal. I also think most still use canned.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s a bummer my target market is families.

Cuz otherwise I would embrace the canned food angle, and also have voluptuous waitresses in skimpy uniforms, and call it “Cans”

On that note, thank you to cnb for your faithful legal service, but given the new direction of the business model, I think it’s best to get leawood on retainer going forward.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:06 pm Actually, that prompts another question: to what degree should a restaurant offer veggie/vegan dish options?
Methinks this one is up my alley (if you don't believe it click back a couple of pages :) ). These days one should offer at least a couple of items in each course - appies are much easier than mains. Desserts are essentially all veggie (as long as you don't put lard or gelatin) but quite difficult to do vegan, maybe a sorbet or some pie types made with margarine. Even if you don't have dishes that are explicitly veggie/vegan at least have a couple that can be adapted to be veggie/vegan. An example would be having veggie patties (not fake meat!!) to substitute for animal-based protein, or whole beans for ground meats in a Mexican style restaurant. Perhaps a few soups which don't use animal-based stock. It's really not that difficult.

Most restaurants in the SF Bay Area will have several veggie/vegan friendly dishes. It's not because there are that many veggie/vegans but because that there is a sufficient critical mass it is always a consideration when a group decides where to go - the need to accommodate two/three people will make a group go next door to someone who can accommodate everyone.