Best Fried Chicken

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Best Fried Chicken

Post by ousdahl »

Not really. More than anything the filet just got smaller?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And more than anything Wendy’s quality is just a matter of whether it’s been fried recently, or has been sitting under a heat lamp all day.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:30 pm And more than anything Wendy’s quality is just a matter of whether it’s been fried recently, or has been sitting under a heat lamp all day.
Huge issue for them, especially with fries. When they're hot, they're very good. When they've sat too long, they're flavored cardboard.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I've had the 'new' McD's chicken sandwich. Same taste and texture as the Wendy's premium chicken sandwich. They all pale in comparison to Chik and Popeyes.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What about buns?

I recall Popeyes being more of a brioche or something? At least a little thought to it.

Wendy’s is the same potato bun they have on every sammich that seems like it was designed more than anything to just not bring attention to the bun.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Chicken Shack from Shake Shack is the best.

I fear that by the time it gets to Kansas, it's going to be one of those chains that blew up to quick and the quality suffered.

But it blows everything else out of the water.

The McDs tasted like McDs attempt at coping chik-fil-a, which I say as both an insult and a compliment.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Has anything ever maintained its quality after it “blew up?”

Any product gets to the point it could blow up, with quality.

But the whole idea of “blowing up” suggests placing the emphasis on quantity?

Now who cares about whether shake shack’s chicken sammich is even good any more, the shareholders are fussing.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:59 pm Chicken Shack from Shake Shack is the best.

I fear that by the time it gets to Kansas, it's going to be one of those chains that blew up to quick and the quality suffered.

The McDs tasted like McDs attempt at coping chik-fil-a, which I say as both an insult and a compliment.
Shake Shack has been out here for about 2-3 years. I always opt for the burger, though. Don't want to start another battle, but I prefer Shake Shack to any other fast food burger.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:03 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:59 pm Chicken Shack from Shake Shack is the best.

Shake Shack has been out here for about 2-3 years. I always opt for the burger, though. Don't want to start another battle, but I prefer Shake Shack to any other fast food burger.
When I was in New Haven, all my friends would compare the shake shack burger to the artisanal foodie burgers at the hipster micro-brewerie joints, where you get a bacon compote and a fried egg on your burger with a bun made baked that morning by an old woman who only bakes hamburger buns....and it would fall short, I mean, they don't even offer truffel oil for the fries.

But when you compare it to fast food burgers...which is the lane its in...I agree that I think it might be the best.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I've had a mean burger at Five Guys that's been up there with Shake Shack.
Whataburger is in this convo - but it also may because you get to make it to order ( jalapenos! ).

In N Out reminded me of a slightly better McDonalds.
Wendy's is probably the best of the big 3 ( Wendys, BK, McDonalds ).
There is something nostalgic about a double quarter pounder from McDonald's.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:08 pm

When I was in New Haven, all my friends would compare the shake shack burger to the artisanal foodie burgers at the hipster micro-brewerie joints, where you get a bacon compote and a fried egg on your burger with a bun made baked that morning by an old woman who only bakes hamburger buns....and it would fall short, I mean, they don't even offer truffel oil for the fries.

But when you compare it to fast food burgers...which is the lane its in...I agree that I think it might be the best.
Yep. And, it's why In-N-Out always deserves a mention. At its price point, its comparisons are really McD's, Bk, Wendy's, etc. I do like Shake Shack, whataburger, and 5 guys better, but I don't think twice as better as the price indicates.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:59 pm
Its 100% ripoff down to the exact same packaging as chic filet. The only thing they changed, was some shitty sauce.

Side note... McDs spicy nugget sauce is terrific.
I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:24 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:08 pm

Yep. And, it's why In-N-Out always deserves a mention. At its price point, its comparisons are really McD's, Bk, Wendy's, etc. I do like Shake Shack, whataburger, and 5 guys better, but I don't think twice as better as the price indicates.
Everyone comes at this differently. Having grown up in LA, the nostalgia factor of In-N-Out is enough to push it into the top spot. Five Guys is aggressively bad.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

White Castle

/thread

(lol)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the Harold to my Kumar
Deleted User 89

have a buddy from Omaha that would always have his pops bring some when he’d visit Lawrence

i don’t care how good you think they are, they definitely aren’t good enough to eat 3+ hours after being made and sitting in the car on the trip down
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Gross.

My dad is the same way about Jack in the box “dog meat” tacos.

With no locations in our home town, if we came across one on a road trip, we’d fill a cooler and eat them for days.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:20 pm have a buddy from Omaha that would always have his pops bring some when he’d visit Lawrence

i don’t care how good you think they are, they definitely aren’t good enough to eat 3+ hours after being made and sitting in the car on the trip down

Bros and I drive to the Lou, Columbia, or St Charles to ride the crave.

Both Chicken Rings or Chicken Sandwiches from the Castle. By the case.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 89

never been for me, even when fresh

i don’t know if they’re any good these days, but there’s a burger chain in the southwest called Blake’s Lotaburger

fantastic, and made-to-order with green chili
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Luvmesum Green Chile Cheeseburgers
Defense. Rebounds.