This week in feminism...

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: This week in feminism...

Post by Mjl »

Umm... You were the one that brought up the new star wars..
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm
lobster wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:09 pm A female lead is not = to a feminist agenda in a film. Alien's Ripley, Star Wars Princess Leia, the original Terminator were all good films. They all had a female lead, but they didn't have a silly agenda. Also, feminism is not the same thing as feminine. Some of you need help with this, so there you go.
You failed to answer the question. Please explain what this alleged agenda was in the most recent Terminator movie that led to its demise at the box office.
That's why I provide links.

Rise of the Skywalker will be popular, but can it save the disaster of The Last Jedi? TLJ was the most disappointing Star Wars film of all time. The last spin-off SW film was also a huge bust, losing millions of dollars because of the failure of TLJ. I don't expect that will happen, but I do expect that it will be disappointing. I've got insider info on this film and they shot at least 3-5 different endings because they are so worried. Not a good sign, right? I'm still going to see it of course, but I have very low expectations. It's too late to develop Rey, and too late to make sense of too many things.
Deleted User 104

Or if you prefer a Youtube link, here's basically it in a nutshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79u1lnJMw24
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

phantom menace was the worst star wars film of all time, and it’s not even close
Deleted User 104

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:36 pm phantom menace was the worst star wars film of all time, and it’s not even close
It's tough one. You're right that it was horrible, but it at least didn't have an agenda. That racing scene ruined the whole movie for me.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:36 pm phantom menace was the worst star wars film of all time, and it’s not even close
I'm torn. The Qui-Gon and Padme characters were great, as was Ewan's Obiwan. Makes up for that awful child actor and Jar Jar to an extent. I think I like it better than Solo.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jar jar

/thread

(i actually liked the pod races, anakin notwithstanding)
Deleted User 104

I could never buy a 7-year old kid flying a space ship like that. I also didn't like the actor.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

lobster wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:15 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm
lobster wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:09 pm A female lead is not = to a feminist agenda in a film. Alien's Ripley, Star Wars Princess Leia, the original Terminator were all good films. They all had a female lead, but they didn't have a silly agenda. Also, feminism is not the same thing as feminine. Some of you need help with this, so there you go.
You failed to answer the question. Please explain what this alleged agenda was in the most recent Terminator movie that led to its demise at the box office.
That's why I provide links.

Rise of the Skywalker will be popular, but can it save the disaster of The Last Jedi? TLJ was the most disappointing Star Wars film of all time. The last spin-off SW film was also a huge bust, losing millions of dollars because of the failure of TLJ. I don't expect that will happen, but I do expect that it will be disappointing. I've got insider info on this film and they shot at least 3-5 different endings because they are so worried. Not a good sign, right? I'm still going to see it of course, but I have very low expectations. It's too late to develop Rey, and too late to make sense of too many things.
Your link basically explains how it is not a feminist movie, from the all male writers to the blah blah blah. Whoever wrote that hot mess of an article seemed determined to announce that the movie was supposed to be a feminist movie and failed to accomplish it, even though I have never seen anything marketed about the movie to make it feel that was the intention at all.

Yet another case of people creating alternative facts and then complaining about them.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

lobster wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:18 pm Or if you prefer a Youtube link, here's basically it in a nutshell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79u1lnJMw24
There is an exactly zero percent chance that I would ever click on a link th o a YouTube video you provide. Save the effort, I do not trust them to not launch who knows what onto my phone.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

The Last Jedi, followed closely by Attack of the Clones.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
Deleted User 104

KU76erfan wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 pm
The Last Jedi, followed closely by Attack of the Clones.
AOTC seemed like a wasted opportunity. So much useless stuff in that film and then they had to cram all the unfinished business into ROTS.

I'm curious, what is it that you didn't like about TLJ? I could give you a huge list, but I'm more interested in your opinions.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I guess that new Frozen movie is a flop too.
Defense. Rebounds.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

"I've got insider info on this film and they shot at least 3-5 different endings because they are so worried. Not a good sign, right?"

Everyone's just going to leave this alone? Really? No offense to my man Gutter, but it appears he's got competition.

And I know it's low-hanging fruit, but "The Last Jedi" is the 12th highest grossing film of all time at $1.3 Billion. Or, to put it another way, the 2nd most successful film in the Star Wars saga behind "The Force Awakens" - $2.1 Billion.

In other words, a failure.
Deleted User 104

It's because everyone assumed it would be good. The reviews are mostly negative.
Deleted User 104

I do actually have ties to the film business, but I'm sure you didn't know that. Rise of Skywalker has been filmed with multiple endings and Disney is really worried about how the film is going to be judged.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

lobster wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:59 pm It's because everyone assumed it would be good. The reviews are mostly negative.
Just depends on your definition of successful. I doubt the studio that produces it gives a crap about how it is critically reviewed if it sells more than a billion in ticket sales.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

lobster wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:02 pm I do actually have ties to the film business, but I'm sure you didn't know that. Rise of Skywalker has been filmed with multiple endings and Disney is really worried about how the film is going to be judged.
It is all over the internet that 8 different endings were tested for Rise of Skywalker. And I didnt feel the need to claim any insider info to do that google search.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:33 am I guess that new Frozen movie is a flop too.
My 6 year old liked it but not as much as the first one. Still, Disney took our money regardless of our opinion of the movie.
Deleted User 104

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:11 pm
lobster wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:59 pm It's because everyone assumed it would be good. The reviews are mostly negative.
Just depends on your definition of successful. I doubt the studio that produces it gives a crap about how it is critically reviewed if it sells more than a billion in ticket sales.
For some films, making money is all that matters (Fast and Furious garbage, for example). But for Star Wars, it's really important that it's good, or people are going to lose interest in future films. It sells less toys, has less repeat customers, less home video sales, etc if the film is not good. The Han Solo film was a bust by Star Wars standards because people were so disappointed with Last Jedi.