This week in feminism...

Ugh.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: This week in feminism...

Post by DCHawk1 »

chiknbut wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:49 am
It is, indeed, amazing. Sadly, there are still so many obstacles, thanks mostly to our dear friend Social Fucking Media.

My daughter's friend just got back from a 40-day trip in recovery. Her biggest obstacle is her mother, an ultra-religious, Ukranian immigrant who believes her "daughter" is "mentally unstable." She sadly turned to Xanax and alcohol to cope. Just like a lot of kids these days.
That sucks. Poor kid.

When my daughter was in 5th grade, she told my wife she wanted to transition -- to a dragon.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

I'm on the LSC at my daughter's high school and the principal's son has recently transitioned. Such an impressive young man. Recently spoke on the same stage as Lori Lightfoot and J.B. Pritzker - and blew both of them away.

Still, I can't imagine how difficult life was at times for this young man. He's very fortunate he has a pretty amazing Mom and Dad.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

That's always what I imagined would be the hardest thing as a parent, coming to grips with the amount of suffering your kid will go through, IN ADDITION to all the suffering he/she has already been through.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:43 am
chiknbut wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:25 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:32 am Word of the year:

They

lulz

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... f-the-year
Was having a discussion with my soon-to-be 18-year-old daughter about this very thing a few days ago. She has a very good friend who prefers the personal pronoun "them." Born a woman, she wants to identify as a male but, as of now, does not wish to transition.

Needless to say it makes for a very difficult conversation.

My soon-to-be 18-year-old daughter has had "non-conforming" friends since at least middle school. One of her best friends, Tom, started Middle School as Mary (not his real name(s))), and has been referred to as "he/him" for five years now. She has two friends who identify as "non-binary," and use they/them. She has another friend who has a twin brother and thinks that she too would prefer to be male. And the list goes on.

I think a big part of it is that being an adolescent/teen-ager/young adult is fucking hard and you grab onto anything you think will provide some stability. I imagine most of my daughter's friends will figure their stuff out and will conclude that they're girls/women, but it doesn't matter. It's kind of amazing how kids today just roll with it.
Another big part of it is that their constant phone usage now means that 99% of the information and advice they receive is from fellow teenagers who are also trying to figure out WTF is going on.

Parents used to be the primary voices heard by kids. Now, that is nearly impossible.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:15 am That's always what I imagined would be the hardest thing as a parent, coming to grips with the amount of suffering your kid will go through, IN ADDITION to all the suffering he/she has already been through.
We've all suffered, especially during the awkward teen years. Suffering is certainly different as an adult, but I don't envy anyone going through that teenage shit again, especially a young woman.

But it's comforting to hear my daughters talk to each other and mention how so-and-so is gay or transitioning as if they are talking about someone's hair color. There's hope for this world.

Or not.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

chiknbut wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:23 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:15 am That's always what I imagined would be the hardest thing as a parent, coming to grips with the amount of suffering your kid will go through, IN ADDITION to all the suffering he/she has already been through.
We've all suffered, especially during the awkward teen years. Suffering is certainly different as an adult, but I don't envy anyone going through that teenage shit again, especially a young woman.

But it's comforting to hear my daughters talk to each other and mention how so-and-so is gay or transitioning as if they are talking about someone's hair color. There's hope for this world.

Or not.
Our community is similar. My 16 year old and her friends talk about these things like anything else and all support one another.

But she leaves this little insulated fish tank community in less than 2 years and get dropped into the ocean where she will see and hear a lot of different points of view. It will be interesting.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Most of my youngest daughter's identify as LBGT or Q. Two that come to mind are both kids of strict fundamentalist families. One set of parents essentially locked the kid up and refused to let them see any friends or leave their small appartment. This kid is not in school and has had problems with drugs and alcohol.

The other family initially reacted the same way. They eventually realized that is just the way their kid is and no one can change that. He is male in every way except plumbing and due to graduate college soon with honors.

The kids, at least the ones I know, are accepting and this isn't even a big deal. I can only imagine the pain of someone like this in the homophobic, all male. Catholic high school I attended.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:49 am Most of my youngest daughter's identify as LBGT or Q. Two that come to mind are both kids of strict fundamentalist families. One set of parents essentially locked the kid up and refused to let them see any friends or leave their small appartment. This kid is not in school and has had problems with drugs and alcohol.

The other family initially reacted the same way. They eventually realized that is just the way their kid is and no one can change that. He is male in every way except plumbing and due to graduate college soon with honors.

The kids, at least the ones I know, are accepting and this isn't even a big deal. I can only imagine the pain of someone like this in the homophobic, all male. Catholic high school I attended.
You seem so, (relatively), normal, to be catholic.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shit.

So...he's a vile person and a sexist pig?

No way he wins in 2016 now.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:32 am Shit.

Or 2020.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:32 am Shit.

This is probably one of the easiest elections for the left to win, yet they are blowing it by focusing on this stupid impeachment rubbish rather than focusing their attention on a better alternative to Trump.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

So, we should just take the Russian candidate, Tulsi Gabbard?
Don't inject Lysol.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Just in case this thread wasn’t already headed for the hall...

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/16/78854951 ... of-the-way

"If you look at the world and look at the problems, it's usually old people, usually old men, not getting out of the way," Obama said, according to a BBC report about the event.

"They cling to power, they are insecure, they have outdated ideas and the energy and fresh vision and new approaches are squashed," he added, Today reports.

"Now women, I just want you to know, you are not perfect, but what I can say pretty indisputably is that you're better than us [men]," Obama said, according to the BBC.

"Part of the challenge we have as humans is that when things get complicated and confusing we tend to want to block it out and look for simple answers," Obama was quoted as saying by the Straits Times. "So we are, oftentimes, getting a leadership that reflects our own insecurities and problems."

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Kiss ass.

But seriously. Why didn't he let Hillary win in 2008?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ummm

ummmmmmm....

...cuz she didn’t build that?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:28 pm Kiss ass.

Didn't Comey have a little bigger hand in her defeat?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

defixione wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:05 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:28 pm Kiss ass.

Didn't Comey have a little bigger hand in her defeat?
Not in 2008
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh yeah...WTF was Comey thinking?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The Lawfare Podcast: Danielle Citron on Feminism and National Security

Live from the #NatSecGirlSquad Conference in Washington, DC, on December 12, 2019, Benjamin Wittes sat down with Danielle Citron, professor of law at Boston University, VP of the Cyber Civil Rights Initiative, and MacArthur Genius Grant Fellow. Ben and Danielle talked about technology, sexual privacy, sextortion, and the previously unexplored intersections of feminism and cybersecurity...
Anand Giridharadas