2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
PhDhawk

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:23 am Hard to bet on Daniels Surviving for 4 more seasons.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CnB's right.
Great get and exciting - but I would put the under/over on his stay here at 1.5 seasons.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:36 am The best thing about freshman are they become sophomores.

Verdict is still out on Daniels. Looked good and bad but it so hard to judge a guy who was thrown into the fire and got zero help from his offensive line. The spring and summer periods are going to be CRUCIAL for this team and what little chance we have of winning any games next year.
Daniels was so bad at times, I had to go against my default "play him every snap no matter what" mantra.

But, obviously, Daniels/Dearmon for 5 years straight was the plan. I'm much less than 100% sure that Daniels works out now that half of the equation left for the land of hot chicken.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:19 am
holidaysmore wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:17 am

Adding Davis is huge. Won't rain on the parade at all but, damnit with KU football there is always a 'but' if we don't have a QB or an 0-line it really doesn't matter what kind of skill guys we have. See Parchment, Andrew as an example.
We're good at getting RBs and WRs...but it's like having frosting with no cake if you don't have an OL or QB.

What a waste.
I have beat this dead horse many times, but it's hard to find FBS schools that don't have quality RB's and WR's.

I suppose give the KU staffs credit for getting them the ball in good spots, but recruiting strikeouts at OL and a complete lack of QB development means it just doesn't matter.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah it's all reliant upon the QB. Stanley was a step in the right direction in 2019. But even then, if we were looking at some breaks that went KUs way, it's a 5-7 season at best.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

You have to wonder what might have been if Beaty, for whatever reason, didn't absolutely hate Carter Stanley.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:17 am You have to wonder what might have been if Beaty, for whatever reason, didn't absolutely hate Carter Stanley.
Considering how freaking hard they went at him right after Beaty was hired. Him and Kevin Kane hit him up right away.

But man, he clearly seemed like the best option. He wasn't flashy, he couldn't throw that far, he couldn't run like Cozart, but he was a gamer and that is what this program needs!
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I guess maybe Beaty could have been right about Cozart if the kid could have stayed healthy.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Anyway, back to the signing day thing.

Like this is massive. Considering the program was kind of on a downward trend after the Dearmon news, this brings fans right back in. This guy had many plays where he caught a slant or a quick stop screen and he does the rest. He's not a speed deep threat, so I don't think the line needs to hold for more than a few seconds with this guy.

And back to DeBord too. I looked a little more yesterday. His offenses at Tennessee were 24th and 29th and then fell to 118th after he left. That means something, in my eyes. Maybe he's not THAT bad.

Just get the ball to guys like Davis, Arnold and Gardner and let them work. That's where I think Dearmon struggled last year. Too many runs up the middle with guys who weren't up the middle backs. Like he endlessly ran Pooka up the middle. I would like to see some creativity and get the ball to these guys in space and not just rely on a system.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:25 amAnd back to DeBord too. I looked a little more yesterday. His offenses at Tennessee were 24th and 29th and then fell to 118th after he left. That means something, in my eyes. Maybe he's not THAT bad.
Counter: how much of it was Butch Jones?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:28 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:25 amAnd back to DeBord too. I looked a little more yesterday. His offenses at Tennessee were 24th and 29th and then fell to 118th after he left. That means something, in my eyes. Maybe he's not THAT bad.
Not sure but Butch Jones was there after DeBord left and they scored 19 ppg in 2017 with Butch Jones still HC until he was fired.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:32 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:28 am
Not sure but Butch Jones was there after DeBord left and they scored 19 ppg in 2017 with Butch Jones still HC until he was fired.
Interesting. I just seem to remember Butch lighting it up at WM and, just looked and saw that Ark State put up nearly 500/game this season.

But, that could also mean DeBord picked up some good stuff from him.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

As far as DeBord goes I believe all of us wanted the flashy name or the new up and comer. Fact is none of those candidates wanted anything to do with KU and rightfully so. That is why our last OC started out as a freaking analyst and last OC job was with Bethel. He will be fine as long as Les lets him do what he needs to do. If not we maybe in this same situation, again, next year.

Kid is a difference maker but you gotta wonder why in the world did he pick KU out of all of those other schools he could have picked. Mind blowing.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Everyone should be very happy with the work they put in. Not easy jobs.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:46 am Kid is a difference maker but you gotta wonder why in the world did he pick KU out of all of those other schools he could have picked. Mind blowing.
All about the Benjamins baby!

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

big fish
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It is promising to hit that number.
9th most 3 star recruits in the country.
Will take.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Believe this class will end in high 30s after some schools below Kansas got surprise signings and moved above them. After an 0-9 season, some staffing turnover and a middling program, that is a top notch class.

The OL has experience now, Have 2 young but promising QBs, some decent running backs. Defensive secondary was young but improved as year went along. DL had freshmen play meaningful snaps. The arrow although not at a steep angle, is going up.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

2 wins next year?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Um, maybe? They'll win against FCS team. But then play non-con games on the road. Coastal and Duke. But they have the favorable home schedule. kstate, Baylor, Tech and West Va at home. A game or two could be won there.

This offseason is going to be so key. Can they do everything needed to help get all the young guys still acquainted with P5 football? I sure hope so because they need it more than most.