2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I've long said 2022 is the year. That's when the most tangible notice of progress should be made.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The Miles vs. Klieman hires could very look the polar opposite after year 3 than what they looked like after a few games into year 1. Can't see Klieman lasting if he doesn't recruit. Kansas State has made one good hire in its history--job takes magic.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:32 pm The Miles vs. Klieman hires could very look the polar opposite after year 3 than what they looked like after a few games into year 1. Can't see Klieman lasting if he doesn't recruit. Kansas State has made one good hire in its history--job takes magic.
One thing has been fairly prevalent. Miles has done much better in recruiting than Klieman has considering the on field success. kstate did get themselves a possibly pretty good 4 star QB. But that's about it.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Another note on that. KU had some guys leave, and that's been well documented. But everyone who left was a guy who was a senior and the staff probably told them to get out and go elsewhere because they need the scholarships to go towards the guys they are bringing in. In normal situations, those guys would be gone, but because of Covid and their abilities to stay if they wanted, it's more noticed because they all said transfer portal. Which makes it sound way worse.

kstate lost even more guys and they were not graduating seniors. That part is something that has worried a lot of taters. You go from a coach who was a complete hardass but also really good in Snyder, and compared him with another hardass put not as good of a coach in Klieman.

Something to watch for sure.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I would have loved to keep AP and Robinson. The rest of them are addition by subtraction. That is why most of those guys don't have a home yet or they dropped to a level lower than P5. Miles, is clearly trying to accomplish things his way and if you aren't in that line you are being asked to leave.

Listened to DeBord's press conference. Not to bad. He doesn't sound like he is 64. Sharp, pretty fired up. Loved how he wants to involved in the details. Looked at the team and thought they were lacking in details and scheme....hmmm...seems like something most all of us said last year. I liked what I heard so far. I'm starting to not hate the hire. Its clear he has experience something Dearmon lacked and I believe that was becoming an issue to Les.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

His presser was a good thing to see. Mentioned he doesn't care about schemes, he'll do what fits his players best. Already spoke with Daniels last night. Has been wanting to be with Les for a while, just never worked out with timing.

He was energetic, he was on top of things, and you are right, he is definitely focused on details.

Said the offense is not that far off.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:54 am Davis is going to sign with Kansas or USC. We'll know in a few hours as he will sign this morning. His recruitment has been super quiet for the entirety of it. He's not really on social media, he doesn't have people talking for him, everyone in the dark. The Kansas commitment was a bit of a surprise. That is Emmett Jones' guy though, and you best believe that has been THE GUY that Jones is talking to daily.

There is a good feeling that Grays will not be at Kansas. Dearmon was one of his main recruiters, so that is going to hurt. Think I saw he is looking at Florida State, maybe?

So of the two, Davis is the most likely Jayhawk.

But that's the only 2 that are unsigned. Quite a few that signed in December already on campus.
Grays followed Dearmon to Middle Tennessee State. Jayhawk Slant predicted he wouldn't sign with Kansas earlier today.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We should schedule Middle Tennessee State.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Nah we already got some oddly scheduled non P5 games in the future like at Coastal, LaTech, Fresno St, Houston and others.

Kind of had forgotten we had scheduled series with Washington State, Virginia, Illinois and Duke before I looked. I remember the spread out Missouri series, but forgot about all the others.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Which ones did Jeff Long make?

I'd be fine getting rid of all of them except mizzou and Illinois. Mostly just want to keep mizzou but want to make the Champaign trip.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Um think he did Virginia, La Tech and mizzou.

Illinois was set up when Weis was at Kansas, I think.
Think Washingon State was set up right before Long was hired.

Don't know about any others. Those 2 just stuck out because it was against P5 teams, which I remember saying is something Kansas SHOULD NOT do right now, but I think the conference is forcing all of that. I think they are allowing 1 FCS team, 1 G5 team and 1 P5 team.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We'd probably be better off if the conference was still 12 teams. Or if it was 9 teams. 4 non-con games. Tough conference.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

12 teams would be perfect. 4 non-con games, play 5 games with a division and then cross-division for 3. You get your 12 games.

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I'm just going to keep saying this until it happens:

BUY OUT THOSE FUCKING @ Coastal and @ Duke games next season. Schedule two of the weakest teams you can find. Even if they are FCS teams.

Program needs wins.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

And just looking at our upcoming commitments. We should never play games like

@Louisiana Tech
@Fresno St
@Houston

WTF?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I'm fine with Houston. Fresno and LaTech can GTFO.

But here's the thing. G5 schools have more leverage than ever right now.. They won't play you in their stadium unless they get at least one game at their place in return.

I mean, some Big 12 teams have gone to weird places. Oklahoma State has played at South Alabama and Central Michigan. Tech has played at SMU and UTEP. OU has a game scheduled at Temple. kstate is going to Tulane. Iowa State is going to Ohio and Arkansas State.

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:02 am I'm fine with Houston. Fresno and LaTech can GTFO.

But here's the thing. G5 schools have more leverage than ever right now.. They won't play you in their stadium unless they get at least one game at their place in return.

I mean, some Big 12 teams have gone to weird places. Oklahoma State has played at South Alabama and Central Michigan. Tech has played at SMU and UTEP. OU has a game scheduled at Temple. kstate is going to Tulane. Iowa State is going to Ohio and Arkansas State.
I don't disagree, but it is all about money. We just really need to buy home games for the next two seasons.

David Booth, write the check.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

KU Athletics had better be careful about going to the well one to many times. People are starting to get annoyed with Williams Fund.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:02 am I'm fine with Houston. Fresno and LaTech can GTFO.

We shouldn't be thinking G5. Let's look at FCS. Let's look into Division II, Division III, why aren't we scheduling NAIA teams?....those are at least coin flip games. What about schools that don't have a football team? Have we looked into that, that's a possible win?...Are there intramural teams, is there a powder puff team that's closer to our level of play? What about HS and middle school teams? I think there are options out there that we could be more competitive with.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i know most of that was a joke, but why not the ft. hays states and emporias?

b-ball does it as an exhibition/tune-up, so why not football?