2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:57 am i know most of that was a joke, but why not the ft. hays states and emporias?

b-ball does it as an exhibition/tune-up, so why not football?
Wait, you're not serious are you?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:03 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:57 am i know most of that was a joke, but why not the ft. hays states and emporias?

I hope not. He's really overestimating KU football if he thinks we could hang with those teams.

Does Topeka YMCA have helmets?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:03 pm

actually, yes

why not, at least for a single game at the start of the season? call it an exhibition or a scrimmage, or whatever.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It would go against NCAA rules, for one.

But really, it's easy to make fun of KU football, but neither team would get anything from that other than a 10+ TD "win" for KU, some potentially bad injuries, and maybe even lawsuits.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Old Balls had a good plan.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:40 pm It would go against NCAA rules, for one.
even as an exhibition/scrimmage?

different rules for b-ball and football?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I can't believe I'm really about to prove this point... Because you truly are serious..

1. The football exhaustion from playing just a scrimmage is insane. Could you imagine a starting QB getting hurt because the pocket collapsed around him in a scrimmage against Emporia State. And because of that, point number 2 is below.
2. KU would literally get nothing from it. They'd win an exhibition by 50 points over the best D2 team out there. And I don't think I'm exaggerating that number one bit. A team of KU walk-ons would be competitive against a D2 school.
3. FCS (1AA) in football is like the D2 equivalent in basketball. Scholarship numbers and amounts are different. Budgets are different. There's one step difference in games between FBS and FCS. There would be a two step difference in FBS to D2. The bball equivalent would be KU playing the Ottawa Braves of the NAIA right down the road.
4. There are some realllllly bad FCS football teams out there. KU and even kstate just always seem to stick with the best FCS conference in the Missouri Valley for their opponents. They have the North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Illinois States, Northern Iowa and others that have all won games against FBS and P5 schools. If KU plays the Southern Jaguars or the Grambling State Tigers (They have a good band) they would win by at least 30. And the game would be considered a nice warmup.

So here's the thing. If KU schedules different schools in the FCS, this is all a moot point. But because they've lost a few of these games in the last decade, it's a bigger deal.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 89

thanks for the honest reply

i obviously don’t follow college football much

i didn’t realize the disparity was so much greater in football than it is in b-ball
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:02 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:40 pm It would go against NCAA rules, for one.
even as an exhibition/scrimmage?

different rules for b-ball and football?
Yes, different rules. If it were allowed, the south schools would play football year round.

The logistics are also really bad for a program like KU and then D-II and below schools.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:40 pm Old Balls had a good plan.
Unfortunately those days of scheduling are gone. But they worked the schedule to where they had a guaranteed 4 wins every year and then won a range of 2-5 in addition to that and it was a great year for them.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Where are we with putting icy hot in the opponent's pants or maybe putting something in their hotel bedding that makes them break out in a rash, or really anything that might force an opponent to forfeit.

I think forfeits are our best shot at wins. Any insider info on how that's coming along? Did Debord say anything in his presser about crank calling opponents late at night before a game?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So I missed that DeBord is going to make $600k a year. Yowza.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Considering they aren't making Dearmon (Mid Tennessee St) pay $500K.

That's a massive payday.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Don't know where to put this. But Clint Bowen is back in Lawerence.

As a Head Coach for the Lawrence High School Chesty Lions

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Feel like it’s a small miracle that KU didn’t hire him ins one capacity after being fired.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:41 am Don't know where to put this. But Clint Bowen is back in Lawerence.

As a Head Coach for the Lawrence High School Chesty Lions
247 is about to or is already having a field day with that. Great guy by all accounts loves KU but he was a part of an awful, awful era of KU football. Is Zinger is LB coach?
Holidaysmore - 2005
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Just looking at this stuff lets you see how bad its been and its not looking to good

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/5171772/
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

KU 2021 Schedule
Sept. 4 South Dakota - Unknown.
Sept. 11 at Coastal Carolina - Ugh.
Sept. 18 Baylor - Have to capitalize on a team with a still unknown QB situation.
Sept. 25 at Duke - Sure....
Oct. 2 at Iowa State - Glad it won't be -30 for that game like it has been every year.
Oct. 16 Texas Tech - Chance at a win.
Oct. 23 Oklahoma - LOL at least weather should be nice
Oct. 30 at Oklahoma State - Whatever.
Nov. 6 Kansas State - Big game
Nov. 13 at Texas - Who will their QB be?
Nov. 20 at TCU - Yeah, this game is never fun.
Nov. 27 West Virginia - They don't like playing here.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Over under set at 1.5 wins.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

It's probably going to be 2-10. That's my guess.

South Dakota and then Texas Tech. West Virginia isn't out of the realm, and neither is kstate. Duke was kind of poo-poo last year too. They'll still lose, but it shouldn't be a blowout.