The Roof, The Roof

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: The Roof, The Roof

Post by jhawks99 »

That sucks. Hoping for the best to get you to Spring.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Fortunately the roof guy was gone by 11 AM and the snow didn't start til 7 PM...so my roof was dry.
Able to get up on the roof by noon and down and packed up by 1:30 - just in time to watch TCU score with ease and us nicely give the ball to them so they could do that more.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

$1500 to tarp a roof? damn I need to adjust my pricing haha
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Also, though it may be tempting....assuming you're using shingles. Resist the urge to have them installed early, they need the heat for the tar strips to properly adhere each shingle to th next. Ive seen lots of roofs fail because they were put on at 40 degrees (technically ok for some shingle products). Ideally you want it 70 with good sun. At least in the 50s minimum.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We have to do rubber on about 60% of the house due to low pitch ( his app said 2 at it's lowest but not sure if that's degrees or not -- i'm gathering not bc it's definitely over 2 degrees - most of the rest of the roof read at 4 ).
Roof guy said that still takes warm days to properly put in.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

2 degree pitch oof thats flat. 4 degree pitch is....flat, that cant be right foe the main roof. even a standard 4/12 pitch is 18.5 degrees.

at 2 degrees I'm hoping they add some crickets to get drainage to flow. I'd say the same for 4 degree but I'm not s roofing expert.

The nice part about the rubber is they typically (epdm etc) can be installed in colder weather because they have heat welded/torch down seams that aren't dependent on outside temp to seal correctly.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

anyway, I'm just rambling, if you have a roofing guy I assume he knows more about roofing than I do and you'll be just fine.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think it's degrees.
I think his app showed something like this:

https://endureed.com/blog/what-is-a-sta ... oof-pitch/

If I were to guess it's like a 10 degree pitch at it's lowest.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Anyone here ever used something like this to frost a glass door or window?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum- ... /307244906

Would certainly rather invest in some tape, some plastic sheeting and a few cans of this than pay for new panels. Interior door, so no weather concerns (or, if there are weather concerns, I'll have much bigger problems on my hands).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

never used it, I've used a applied film. It.....works. It's not a great long term option tho and it looks, like a film that's been applied.
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I was once told by a sage to never use a product with oleum in its name. He walked everywhere
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

The films are incredibly varied and easy to apply. Having paid more for front entry doors than my car, only to be disappointed with the wonky glass design, I wish I had just gotten a film. The office has films on interior and exterior glass and they look great. I have used a variety of designs at home (bathroom window; a sunroom converted to a guest room with a zillion window pans on french doors to add privacy). Unless you go up and inspect it from 5 inches away, it looks good. The films are temporary, so you can always pull it off if you don't like it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:52 pm The films are incredibly varied and easy to apply. Having paid more for front entry doors than my car, only to be disappointed with the wonky glass design, I wish I had just gotten a film. The office has films on interior and exterior glass and they look great. I have used a variety of designs at home (bathroom window; a sunroom converted to a guest room with a zillion window pans on french doors to add privacy). Unless you go up and inspect it from 5 inches away, it looks good. The films are temporary, so you can always pull it off if you don't like it.
This is very helpful. Application is a spare room that served as an office during Covid, but which now needs repurposing as a playroom for a kid…so there’s zero hope of maintaining any sort of order, but nor do we want to close it in entirely.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Finally the weather is good enough to stop worrying about my tarp job ( which held up through a lot of rain and ice so it did its job ) and for our new roof to be installed tomorrow.

Low 60s. They'll be installing rubber for 1/5th of the house that is around 5-6 degrees of slope and shingles for the rest which is minimum 15 degrees.

I've never had a new roof.
Anything I need to be prepped for/ask before/after they do the business?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I've got to replace my roof this spring/summer too. I gotta put new soffit boards up, wrap my rafters tails and outlooks in cedar and put up new cedar fascia board all the way around....all before I can put on drip edge and even get to the roofing part.

lot of work by myself, not looking forward to it.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If they install a roof and say their work leads to a gutter getting fucked up or something - would they be liable for that? Probably not right?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

gutter should be pulled off and then reinstalled after roof work. Can't replace the roof with the gutter on. Need new drip edge at a minimum.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

They didn't take the gutters off.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:55 am They didn't take the gutters off.
they must have a process that works for them.

I've said before I'm no roofer...but I've roofed more than I want to.

I'm not sure how you access the edge of the roof to replace the drip edge and fascia flashing if you have gutters in the way. But, maybe they've got a system.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'd like to know though, so next time I don't have to take them off if there is a better way

typically were replacing fascia boards at the same time too tho, and definetely can't do that with gutters hanging on them.
Just Ledoux it