why the greatest economy ever...

Ugh.
Walrus

Re: why the greatest economy ever...

Post by Walrus »

I don't "fail to recognize the past", but what does that have to do with now? There comes a point when you have to stop making excuses for your lack of progress in life. It's hard, I know, but there is no other way. The fact of the matter is, there is nothing holding blacks back in 2020, other than their own attitudes. Sorry, this isn't like the past when they really were held back.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Also, if what you're saying is true, the Asians that immigrated to America should have failed too. Why are they succeeding much more than blacks? Perhaps it's not just "racism" as you want to believe.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so it was George Floyd’s own attitude that choked him to death?
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Well, he had several dangerous drugs in his system, and he once pointed a gun at a pregnant woman's belly to get money. I would say there were some serious issues with his attitude in the past. Not saying he deserved what he got, but that was because of police brutality.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:42 pm I don't "fail to recognize the past", but what does that have to do with now? There comes a point when you have to stop making excuses for your lack of progress in life. It's hard, I know, but there is no other way. The fact of the matter is, there is nothing holding blacks back in 2020, other than their own attitudes. Sorry, this isn't like the past when they really were held back.
You are so out of touch with reality. I challenge you to educate yourself. If you really care/d.
Deleted User 289

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm Well, he had several dangerous drugs in his system, and he once pointed a gun at a pregnant woman's belly to get money. I would say there were some serious issues with his attitude in the past. Not saying he deserved what he got, but that was because of police brutality.
Interesting, you felt the need to say he had drugs in his system and "once pointed a gun at a pregnant woman's belly to get money" but you didn't feel the need to mention how he had dedicated his life to Christ, was a community leader in the 3rd Ward, and was supposedly a pretty darn good father to his 6-year-old daughter.

Of course he had shameful things in his past and he did shameful things in the "present".
Doesn't mean he didn't do good things either. Does it?
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Grandma wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:18 pm
Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:42 pm I don't "fail to recognize the past", but what does that have to do with now? There comes a point when you have to stop making excuses for your lack of progress in life. It's hard, I know, but there is no other way. The fact of the matter is, there is nothing holding blacks back in 2020, other than their own attitudes. Sorry, this isn't like the past when they really were held back.
You are so out of touch with reality. I challenge you to educate yourself. If you really care/d.
Despite the fact we have more government programs to helps blacks than ever before, it isn't fixing the problem. You could even argue it's making things worse. I look forward to you "educating" me. :D
Deleted User 289

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:33 pm
Grandma wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:18 pm
Despite the fact we have more government programs to helps blacks than ever before, it isn't fixing the problem. You could even argue it's making things worse. I look forward to you "educating" me. :D
I'm not an educator. I'm a student.
I learn more when I read and listen than I do when I speak.
I'm well aware of "government programs" - federal and local.
I would bet my left testicle to your $10 that I have met and spoken with a hell of a lot more people than you have on the topic of systemic racism and understand the repercussions more than you do.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

That's all well and good, and it's possible you could have spoken with more people than I. But that doesn't necessarily mean your arguments are correct. There's very little evidence if any that racism is holding anyone back in America in 2020. It's just a lot easier to blame our own problems on a boogeyman. And if systemic racism does exist, what should we do about it? Pay everyone who's black $40,000 like one government person suggested? That's not going to solve anything.

Are you sure you wanted me back, Gutter? ;)
Deleted User 289

There are arguments based on fact and there arguments based on opinions. I could be wrong but I don't think either of us are going to convince each other based on our opinions. We may not even be on the same page here. I'm talking about systemic racism. I assure you it exists in 2020 and it is holding people back. What should "WE" do about it is a great question. I know one answer. "WE" should not pretend it doesn't exist. One thing we (you and I) are in agreement on is that there is a lot more that can and needs to be done other than throwing money at the issue.

As far as your being back, it's all good to me.
I may not agree with you and you may annoy me at times but hey- the same could be said of my mother - and I love her more than anyone else on the planet.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Grandma wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:39 pm As far as your being back, it's all good to me.
I may not agree with you and you may annoy me at times but hey- the same could be said of my mother - and I love her more than anyone else on the planet.
I'm glad to hear it.

Yes, I'm thinking we might not argue about this issue, because I don't think it will likely change either of us based on what we have experienced.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Save your breath
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

I wonder if Lobster could tell us how many Asian girls of my generation were blown up while attending Sunday church because their parents dared to try for the right to vote.
Don't inject Lysol.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Chuck E Cheese bites the dust. The latest company that looks like it will go bankrupt. :(
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Chuck E. Cheese. A great American company. An institution. An icon.

So much so that they use the name Pasqually’s on delivery services to hide it’s actually Chuck E. Cheese. (They actually use both names, to try to get some people that would never order CEC to unknowingly order under the different name.)
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm Well, he had several dangerous drugs in his system, and he once pointed a gun at a pregnant woman's belly to get money. I would say there were some serious issues with his attitude in the past. Not saying he deserved what he got, but that was because of police brutality.
So, everyone should be tried over and over for crimes that they committed in the past?
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

seahawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:24 pm I wonder if Lobster could tell us how many Asian girls of my generation were blown up while attending Sunday church because their parents dared to try for the right to vote.
What America did to Asians over the years was indeed horrible.

Comparing that to what we have done to blacks over the past 250 years is like comparing pulling a band aid off of a wound to civil war field surgery.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:56 pm Chuck E Cheese bites the dust. The latest company that looks like it will go bankrupt. :(
Glad to not have to ever hear the soles of my shoes sticking to their disgusting floors while my child climbs around on equipment that may not have ever been cleaned. Havent been to one in more than a decade. So gross.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I am not a big fan of them either, and their pizza was pretty underwhelming. But it still saddens me to hear another business is heading towards bankruptcy.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:15 am
So, everyone should be tried over and over for crimes that they committed in the past?
That's not what I was implying. I was pointing out that Mr. Floyd appeared to be on a path that would eventually lead him on a collision. I mean, he had fentanyl in his system, and he had a heart condition, possibly from past cocaine use. I'm not saying he was a "bad" person, I'm just saying he made some not good choices.