Satellite Question

You Love It.
ChalkRocker

Re: Satellite Question

Post by ChalkRocker »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:12 am In a hospital bed all day today so lots of college football I guess. 7k to watch football.
Sorry to learn this, but glad you're salty enough to gripe about [it]. Get well soon
Last edited by ChalkRocker on Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:18 am Went to the hospital last night bc the nurse lady thought I should over the phone. From everything I was reading i self diagnosed it was a pulled muscle causing tightness and problems breathing along with a viral infection. But still go. Apparently had juuuuuust over the treponin levels that the cardiologist at a nearby larger hospital wanted me to go there. Of course I couldn’t go with BUD in her car. Got be ambulance. Then cardio here suggests a catheter to inspect heart that has a 1 in 500 chance of heart failure or death. Naw dog. I’m good. Rest a while, blood pressure back to great levels, treponin at normal levels, new cardio says a couple more tests and mild levels of elevated treponin might not have to deal with a direct heart issue at all but my guess is a severe viral infection with a significant pulled chest muscle.

So a. I was very likely right and now we gotta pay this deductible because US healthcare costs are the worst in the modern world to confirm webMD searching
B. This other cardio wanted me to do a 16k procedure with a significant chance of death without waiting to see if maybe it wasn’t a heart attack? Wut?
Very sorry to hear about this Pdub. Hopefully, most likely, it will turn out not to be cardiac-related, and you can go home and get back to your regularly scheduled life, very soon. Hopefully you have your devices, (One of my greatest fears is being hospitalized without mine, and a charger.), and internet access?

I hope they rule your heart out and you can go home later today. Please let us know, if you don't mind.

"Chest pain with shortness of breath", especially in a male, is your heart, until proven otherwise. An initial "slightly elevated troponin level", while not in an of itself "diagnostic", only adds to the likelihood it's cardiac. (Is this an increasing or decreasing troponin level? Nobody knows...)

I've never had a reason to think about your age, but my impression is that you're close but not yet 40, non-smoker... Good, very good, but not exclusionary, whatsoever.

The art of medicine is being able to, with some degree of accuracy, "know" the difference between cardiac and non-cardiac chest pain. Many people, especially women, don't have either. "Heartburn, nausea, jaw/shoulder/back pain, etc.

+So, Mr. ER physician, you didn't "think" it was his heart? What do the terms "chest pain, shortness of breath and an elevated troponin level" make you think of, if not someone's heart?" Your wife's attorney asks, as s/he demonstrably takes his eyes off the doctor sitting in the witness stand, slowly turns his head, and gazes out into the front row of the courtroom at the newly-widowed, single-parent young woman, and her now fatherless child sit...

"Doctor, have you ever heard the term: 'Time is heart muscle?' (Every doctor knows that.) But still, knowing that, you thought it was OK to wait for the next troponin level, 3 hours, instead of doing a test with only a 1 in 500 chance of morbidity/mortality, and risk letting the occlusion in pdub's coronary artery propagate and more and more cardiac tissue die, while you did nothing? Was saving $16,000 worth the life of the widow pdub, and her now fatherless child?

But, you didn't care enough to do anything? Anything? What kind of animal are you?

I could go on.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Stress test tomorrow.
Fingers crossed it all goes well and they can shrug their shoulders and say, “virus complications but nothing to worry about.”
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:18 am Went to the hospital last night bc the nurse lady thought I should over the phone. From everything I was reading i self diagnosed it was a pulled muscle causing tightness and problems breathing along with a viral infection. But still go. Apparently had juuuuuust over the treponin levels that the cardiologist at a nearby larger hospital wanted me to go there. Of course I couldn’t go with BUD in her car. Got be ambulance. Then cardio here suggests a catheter to inspect heart that has a 1 in 500 chance of heart failure or death. Naw dog. I’m good. Rest a while, blood pressure back to great levels, treponin at normal levels, new cardio says a couple more tests and mild levels of elevated treponin might not have to deal with a direct heart issue at all but my guess is a severe viral infection with a significant pulled chest muscle.

So a. I was very likely right and now we gotta pay this deductible because US healthcare costs are the worst in the modern world to confirm webMD searching
B. This other cardio wanted me to do a 16k procedure with a significant chance of death without waiting to see if maybe it wasn’t a heart attack? Wut?
Sorry to read this but glad you seem to be ok!

Semi related note. My cousin's niece is a Cardio Nurse at Northwestern. Told us she has a guy who is 30 something years old who had been in jail for committing a murder when he was 18. Dude needs a heart transplant. He's currently in the hospital cuffed to his hospital bed.
Guess who pays for his transplant - if he gets one? Perhaps the bigger moral question is does he deserve one?
I'm asking as someone who's father died at Loyola Hospital in 1988 while awaiting a heart transplant.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:08 pm Stress test tomorrow.
Fingers crossed it all goes well and they can shrug their shoulders and say, “virus complications but nothing to worry about.”
That's great news, pdub! Very glad to hear it.

After your stress test comes back normal, you'll not only get to go home, but you'll have some piece of mind, too.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:12 pm

Sorry to read this but glad you seem to be ok!

Semi related note. My cousin's niece is a Cardio Nurse at Northwestern. Told us she has a guy who is 30 something years old who had been in jail for committing a murder when he was 18. Dude needs a heart transplant. He's currently in the hospital cuffed to his hospital bed.
Guess who pays for his transplant - if he gets one? Perhaps the bigger moral question is does he deserve one?
I'm asking as someone who's father died at Loyola Hospital in 1988 while awaiting a heart transplant.
Sorry to hear that about your father Gutter.

How aggravating is it that something in such short supply, a healthy heart for a transplant, for a murderer, is one less heart available for someone who didn't commit murder?
Anand Giridharadas
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:08 pm Stress test tomorrow.
Fingers crosssd here, too, bro. When it goes well, let yourself do a big exhale.

Bask in it.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Absolutely let out the biggest sigh you ever have.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“practicing” medicine

(no offense, Shirley)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

No offense taken, because it's true.

People are, and therefore medicine is, complicated.

Humbling on many days.
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I want to do the treadmill stress test.
Rumor is they’ll just shoot me up with a drug?
Seems like cheating.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:17 pm I want to do the treadmill stress test.
Rumor is they’ll just shoot me up with a drug?
Seems like cheating.
Yeah, they can simulate what your heart would do by injecting a drug that will increase the rate of your heart like it would if you were exercising. When your heart beats faster due to the exercise/increased rate, the muscles need increased blood flow thru the coronary arteries that supply the blood, and if an artery is blocked or partially blocked and the blood flow can't increase in response to the "stress" your heart muscle is under, they can see it, and identify where the blockage or narrowing is.

I'm sure you'll do fine, and if not, they'll fix the blockage/narrowing, and you'll have a new lease on life.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ugh, I gotta stay out if this thread. It gives me anxiety.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Hope all is well pdub, go kill that test and give it the bird on the way out the door.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:02 pm ugh, I gotta stay out if this thread. It gives me anxiety.
Me too.

Hoping for the best for you pdub.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sorry to stress you all out.
I’ll start talking more about buckets of coors and rum runners on the beach.

I got to do the stress test on the treadmill so it didn’t feel like cheating.

There was nothing wrong with my heart.
Lotta money and tests to find out though.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

pdub wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:04 pm There was nothing wrong with my heart.
Great news. Oh, and chalk the time and $$ up to "market-price, one large exhale".

Hey, I said "chalk"!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Very, very glad and relieved to hear that, pdub.

You can have more confidence in your state of health now than you did before, and that's worth something.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

buckets on pdub!
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:04 pm Sorry to stress you all out.
I’ll start talking more about buckets of coors and rum runners on the beach.

I got to do the stress test on the treadmill so it didn’t feel like cheating.

There was nothing wrong with my heart.
Didn't see this until just now.
Very happy to read it!

Was discussing health insurance with 2 other employees today. As an employee, the company covers (pays for) our insurance (and immediate family members) 100%.
One of the employe's sons snapped his Tibia playing football.
Had to have surgery. Hospital billed the insurance company close to $20,000 for the 24 hours AFTER the surgery. Both of the employees I was with are single mothers.
I told them majority of our 20 something year old single employees have no fucking idea just how valuable our company's health insurance policy and plan is.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.