Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 62

NCAA to add a year of eligibility

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Good response
NewtonHawk11

Re: NCAA to add a year of eligibility

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I saw that's for spring, winter sports still getting worked out.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

DOKE one more year :)
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Isiah Moss?
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I'm not a fan of this. Sure, it would be nice for Dok (if he even wants to instead of going pro) and Moss to be back. This is a knee-jerk reaction, much like everyone screaming to retire Kobe's number league wide. Spring sports I can get on board with since they were, at most, a quarter into their seasons.

There's, what, 360 Division 1 basketball teams? 250+ affected in absolutely no way by the decision to cancel the tourney and conference tourneys because they were either already done or eliminated. Kennesaw State finished 1-28, last game on February 29th. Seniors accepted their career was done. Now people think they should be allowed another year, because guys like Cassius Winston weren't able to finish their careers by competing for a national championship??

Plus, how does this affect everyone else on the team? They can waive all the scholarship limit rules they want, but only 5 guys can still be on the floor. Say Doke can and does come back. Lightfoot wasted a year redshirting only for the next season to be the same exact situation, with even another big in there.

You have underclassmen who have waited and now it's their time to step into the rotation along with incoming freshman. But they are robbed of that opportunity because the NCAA decided to give a free 5th year to guys who have already had that opportunity 3 times. Would they deem this a non year and everyone comes back the same year (Sophomore Dotson, Freshman Braun etc)? That still doesn't factor in the incoming freshman.

Allowing seniors to come back, even with scholarship exceptions, is a mess the NCAA will never get out from underneath. The season is over. It sucks donkey balls, but it is what it is. Sorry Dok. Sorry Winston. Sorry Powell. Sorry seniors.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Because of this I agree there shouldn't be another year of eligibility:

"Plus, how does this affect everyone else on the team? They can waive all the scholarship limit rules they want, but only 5 guys can still be on the floor.
You have underclassmen who have waited and now it's their time to step into the rotation along with incoming freshman. That still doesn't factor in the incoming freshman."

But at the same time you have seniors robbed at the shot of a title.
I think the NCAA should have pieced together some sort of tournament instead of cancelling - 4 teams, 8 teams, 16 teams - something.
Then you could have been at somewhat peace with knowing your team had a chance but didn't do enough to make it.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I'm not buying the seniors lose a shot at the title argument. They are seniors. They already had 3 shots at the title.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Devil's Advocate: There are probably a fair number of D-1 players that would not have played D-1 in 2019-20 if they knew there'd be no tourney.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Devon Dotson one of them. I know he's not a senior for this exact argument. But he came back because in his 1 year at KU, he hadn't won any trophies. He wanted that chance.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I think it's only for Spring sports.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

It’s a good idea from our heart strings, but if you step back and think about it, it’s really a bad bad precedent (hopefully never to be needed to cite).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Final from NCAA:

Spring sports get another year of eligibility. Winter sports do not.

I definitely understand the logic behind that. But, the winter sports missing their championship tournaments is not something to be taken lightly at all.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Glad they decided against winter sports. As a Mitch fan, I would have been pissed had they given another year of eligibility to winter sports. Spring sports are as important to me as women's BB.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Schools are pushing back on this. The Ivy Leagues. And now, Wiscy.

My initial reaction is to disagree. But, it's a tough and shitty situation all around.

NCAA probably needs to do more here.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Hasn't the Ivy always had a 4 years and the door policy?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:54 pm Hasn't the Ivy always had a 4 years and the door policy?
Correct. They do not redshirt or anything along those lines.