5.7 earthquake

Coffee talk.
NewtonHawk11

Re: 5.7 earthquake

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

So, Wichita area has had 4 earthquakes in last week and a half. Small in magnitude in grand scheme of things but still a bit jarring. Ranging from 2.6 right around Thanksgiving to 3.3 today.

Result of fracking in Oklahoma and it's worked its way up here
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Yikes. The rink here in Omaha where my wife was teaching gave a good hard shake this morning but it turns out it was from a deadly house explosion about 8 blocks away. Scary.

The only time I have experienced an earthquake was when I lived in Cleveland and felt one from western PA.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There's lots of fun internet reading about the New Madrid fault.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

3.9 in good ole Wichita at 5am. Structural damage starts to happen around 4. Probably have had at least half a dozen earthquakes that have been at least 3.0 over last month. Definitely odd for Kansas.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

that’s fracking crazy
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I chuckled. Apparently, it's not due to oil and gas activity.

Apparently it is wastewater injections that have spread under faults and are disrupting those. Just odd. Some of them aren't a shaking feeling, it feels like something runs into a building type of feel.

colbond

Post by colbond »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:19 am I chuckled. Apparently, it's not due to oil and gas activity.

Apparently it is wastewater injections that have spread under faults and are disrupting those. Just odd. Some of them aren't a shaking feeling, it feels like something runs into a building type of feel.
I've been trying to find some good info on the cause, and coming up empty. Typically when they talk about wastewater injection, that's wastewater from the fracking process i.e. oil and gas activity. I've heard a couple people vehemently claim that it isn't oil and gas related, but no one that I've seen has explained why that's the case. I've heard references to a fault line in south central kansas, but haven't found one on a map.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

colbond wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:19 am I chuckled. Apparently, it's not due to oil and gas activity.

I've been trying to find some good info on the cause, and coming up empty. Typically when they talk about wastewater injection, that's wastewater from the fracking process i.e. oil and gas activity. I've heard a couple people vehemently claim that it isn't oil and gas related, but no one that I've seen has explained why that's the case. I've heard references to a fault line in south central kansas, but haven't found one on a map.
Same way developers in California are pretty goddamn quiet about finding, like, rare butterflies on undeveloped land.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Nobody really know Col. The only one that seems to be close is in El Dorado, about 25 miles or so to the east. The amount of earthquakes over the last 5 years have tripled the amount in the 35 years or so prior to that. It's quite strange and definitely a majority of those have been fracking related. Apparently the fracking has stopped but yet still having these minor quakes. But they've increased in intensity over the last month or so. Went from high 2s to now getting high 3s.

Quite a few people around here have joked that it is the Army digging underground tunnels.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Lived in that area for about 18 years. Don’t recall a single earthquake.

Felt my first one ever 2-3 years ago in KC.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:36 am
colbond wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 am

Same way developers in California are pretty goddamn quiet about finding, like, rare butterflies on undeveloped land.
There’s a bumper sticker certain folks put on their cars here reading, “Save an elk. Shoot a developer.”
colbond

Post by colbond »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:42 am Apparently the fracking has stopped but yet still having these minor quakes.
I've also heard that argument a few times. I'm no geologist, but my understanding is that once that wastewater is injected back into a fracking well, it doesn't just dissipate after a fault slip or whatever is causing the earthquake. That's a long term or permanent change to the geology that could conceivably continue to cause earthquakes after they're done extracting oil or injecting wastewater.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

colbond wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:25 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:42 am Apparently the fracking has stopped but yet still having these minor quakes.
I've also heard that argument a few times. I'm no geologist, but my understanding is that once that wastewater is injected back into a fracking well, it doesn't just dissipate after a fault slip or whatever is causing the earthquake. That's a long term or permanent change to the geology that could conceivably continue to cause earthquakes after they're done extracting oil or injecting wastewater.
Right - it's not so much that the prior fracking will continue to cause earthquakes, it's that the earth will keep quaking to correct for the instability caused by the fracking.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Lived at my parents until college and I never remembered an earthquake or even hearing about one. Definitely strange to hear about big earthquakes back in the 316.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

10 Earthquakes in Wichita-area over the last 27 hours.

Good times!

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Frack!
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

https://saltlaketribune-ut-app.newsmemo ... 0e_1345cb4

a bigger, and more destructive, one is coming
Deleted User 89

8.2 magnitude hit Alaska

sounds like minimal damage
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:36 am 8.2 magnitude hit Alaska

Minimal man made structural damage. My uneducated guess is that an 8.2 would fuck up a major city pretty bad.
Deleted User 89

NotGutterGutter wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:46 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:36 am 8.2 magnitude hit Alaska

Minimal man made structural damage. My uneducated guess is that an 8.2 would fuck up a major city pretty bad.
oh sure, but it didn’t even look like there was “natural” damage either...i’ll have to look into it more, but really surprised there wasn’t a tsunami

the 8 the largest quakes in recorded US history have all been in Alaska...the 1964 one, which was notably centered much closer to Anchorage (80 miles vs 500 miles) resulted in landslides and tsunamis

i realize that the severity scale of quakes is logarithmic, but am still a little surprised...particularly with the epicenter of this one being just off the coast