Post by Deleted User 89 »

Deleted User 887

Re: 5.7 earthquake

Post by Deleted User 887 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:06 am
NotGutterGutter wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:46 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:36 am 8.2 magnitude hit Alaska

sounds like minimal damage
Minimal man made structural damage. My uneducated guess is that an 8.2 would fuck up a major city pretty bad.
oh sure, but it didn’t even look like there was “natural” damage either...i’ll have to look into it more, but really surprised there wasn’t a tsunami

the 8 the largest quakes in recorded US history have all been in Alaska...the 1964 one, which was notably centered much closer to Anchorage (80 miles vs 500 miles) resulted in landslides and tsunamis

i realize that the severity scale of quakes is logarithmic, but am still a little surprised...particularly with the epicenter of this one being just off the coast
One of these days I am going to educate myself in regards to earthquakes.
I don't think about it often but when I do, it makes me a bit nervous living in a high rise when I am not all that far away from the New Madrid Seismic Zone. Plus, I'm a block away from a large body of water that is not immune to a meteotsunami.
Deleted User 89

NotGutterGutter wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:20 pm
NotGutterGutter wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:46 am

Minimal man made structural damage. My uneducated guess is that an 8.2 would fuck up a major city pretty bad.
oh sure, but it didn’t even look like there was “natural” damage either...i’ll have to look into it more, but really surprised there wasn’t a tsunami

the 8 the largest quakes in recorded US history have all been in Alaska...the 1964 one, which was notably centered much closer to Anchorage (80 miles vs 500 miles) resulted in landslides and tsunamis

i realize that the severity scale of quakes is logarithmic, but am still a little surprised...particularly with the epicenter of this one being just off the coast
I don't think about it often but when I do, it makes me a bit nervous living in a high rise when I am not all that far away from the New Madrid Seismic Zone. Plus, I'm a block away from a large body of water that is not immune to a meteotsunami.
all of that “macro” geology fascinates the shit out of me, and was a sub-focus if my graduate work (historical biogeography)

it’s so incredibly dynamic and complex

related...imo, one of the coolest things is standing on the Pacific coast and thinking about what/where you’re standing in the grand scheme of things...on the edge of a massive continental shelf that is slowly inching its way westward
Deleted User 887

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:25 pm
NotGutterGutter wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:20 pm

all of that “macro” geology fascinates the shit out of me, and was a sub-focus if my graduate work (historical biogeography)

it’s so incredibly dynamic and complex

related...imo, one of the coolest things is standing on the Pacific coast and thinking about what/where you’re standing in the grand scheme of things...on the edge of a massive continental shelf that is slowly inching its way westward
Sometimes I sit and overthink things that I feel most people never really think about.
Such as the complexity of the human body.
When I start to think about the planet Earth, and question how it has or hasn't existed "forever", and how it's evolved, and many of the intricacies, it blows it me away.

Getting back to earthquakes and "natural disasters", as a child I believed California COULD (not would) "fall in to the ocean" in the next 100 or so years.
I have since read that's basically impossible. Then as an adult I started to believe much of California would be underwater by the next century (2100s). While probably highly doubtful. I don't think it's "basically impossible". If it did happen, my uneducated guess is that it would probably be more due to "man made disaster/s".
Deleted User 89

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Usgs estimates of 10k to 100k dead.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Also hurricane headed there soon

Didnt this just happen there like 6 or 7 years ago with massive casualties?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 887

Forgot to post this the other day......

"You all felt the earthquake, right?" one man asked as he exited his apartment complex. "I wasn't sure if it was just the brownies kicking in."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ear ... 45449.html
Deleted User 89

TDub, you feel any of the recent quakes?

apparently 40+ over the past 24 hrs
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:40 am TDub, you feel any of the recent quakes?

nah, but I'm a long way from the coast
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:43 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:40 am TDub, you feel any of the recent quakes?

nah, but I'm a long way from the coast
i figured
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Earthquake of 4.3 with an epicenter 3.6 miles east of Salina around 8ish this morning.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Forgive me if too pols boredy, but now might be a good time to ease up on the sanctions against Syria
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

there are all sorts of ways that you can donate to the relief effort.

are you going to donate to the relief effort.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

He just did! did you not see his post? His raising awareness and asking important and pointed questions to the 15 of us is more valuable and impactful, long term, than any actual effort.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

for real tho. capitalism. amirite.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

2,500+ now estimated dead

gonna surpass 5k?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

7,800 and climbing

WHO estimates maybe as many as 20k
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?