COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
HouseDivided

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:47 pm Johnson is a rarity among global leaders -- someone who is truly literate and truly capable of expressing himself in consistently rational, coherent, and engaging language. He is also self-centered asshole and a moral and ideological chameleon.

The former far outweighs the latter, in current circumstances, which means that he could be the most consequential British PM since Thatcher or even Churchill.

But first he has to live.
One has to be something of a narcissist and a self-promoter to succeed in politics. Nice people don’t wind up on Capitol Hill, in Parliament, or as CEO. It’s the world we live in.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:47 pm Johnson is a rarity among global leaders -- someone who is truly literate and truly capable of expressing himself in consistently rational, coherent, and engaging language. He is also self-centered asshole and a moral and ideological chameleon.

The former far outweighs the latter, in current circumstances, which means that he could be the most consequential British PM since Thatcher or even Churchill.

But first he has to live.
Is this satire?
Don't inject Lysol.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

In difficult times such as these, the nation turns its attention to real leaders.

https://twitter.com/steak_umm/status/12 ... 0475490304
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

iS thiS SATirE?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:39 amiS thiS SATirE?
Steak-Ummm ftw?

Honestly, I didn't even realize Steak-Umm was still a thing.

It's like finding out Vitalis is sponsoring a New Year's Day Bowl game.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

We're all eating steak-umm now
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so my parents decided now's a good time to road trip up to Michigan. Planning to leave this weekend. Their stubbornness is exhausting.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Are you coming through lawri?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

who, me?

no, I intend to actually shelter in place. I feel guilty enough just going to the other end of the county to fish. Otherwise I haven't been more than a mile from my house.

My parents are in Georgia. My fam has a house on a lake down there where my uncle used to live, and my parents spend a few weeks down there every winter. Now that the Masters is about to be over but not cuz it's not even happening, my parents are doing their bored geriatric toddler thing and hitting the road.

It's almost like the dogs are seeing us in our masks and thinking, they must all have to wear muzzles now cuz they were too dumb to listen when told to "sit" and "stay."
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 am It's almost like the dogs are seeing us in our masks and thinking, they must all have to wear muzzles now cuz they were too dumb to listen when told to "sit" and "stay."
awesomeness
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Delta not selling the middle seat on its flights through May.

Almost makes me want to travel.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Not sure where to put this. But it’s good. Gutter and Chikn (and other Chicago folks) May particularly find it moving if unseen previously.

https://youtu.be/-VH0l5fuKUc
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

I think I'm just opening myself up to ridicule by bringing this up, but perhaps we are unintentionally saving (or at least delaying the destruction of) our planet.

Skyline views are returning and, in some cases, unobstructed by smog for the first time in a generation (or more). Fish are visible in the canals of Venice. As I walk down the street or go through a store, I don't see wrappers being blown down the streets like tumbleweeds.

But are we learning anything? When this is over, will anything be really different or better?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

maybe, but doubtful to be prolonged imo
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Gqcolorado wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:00 pm Not sure where to put this. But it’s good. Gutter and Chikn (and other Chicago folks) May particularly find it moving if unseen previously.

https://youtu.be/-VH0l5fuKUc
Indeed a moving video.
There is a Facebook group - Pictures of Chicago.
People have been posting a lot of great recent photos.
Some I find happy and some I find depressing and often I can't figure out why I feel the way I do about them.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

chiknbut wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:15 pm I think I'm just opening myself up to ridicule by bringing this up, but perhaps we are unintentionally saving (or at least delaying the destruction of) our planet.

Skyline views are returning and, in some cases, unobstructed by smog for the first time in a generation (or more). Fish are visible in the canals of Venice. As I walk down the street or go through a store, I don't see wrappers being blown down the streets like tumbleweeds.

But are we learning anything? When this is over, will anything be really different or better?
https://twitter.com/walangpasokfile/sta ... tfw">April
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

chiknbut wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:15 pm As I walk down the street or go through a store, I don't see wrappers being blown down the streets like tumbleweeds.
However, we always return to the "we can't have anything nice" place. I was out getting some groceries today and the parking lot I was in (the giant parking lot shared by Costco, Trader Joe's and a few small produce shops and restaurants) had more than its share of used nitrile gloves and dentist-masks.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Dilemma last night...... I'm posting it on this thread only because there are nurses involved.
There is someone who lives down the hall from me. He basically behaves like he lives in a college dorm. No smoking building - he and/or his guest/s occasionally smoke/s (cigs & weed). Comes in and out of his apartment at all hours of the day and night and when he does as such - I am convinced he SLAMS his door on purpose. I have caught him leaving garbage strewn in the "garbage room" where the garbage chute is. You get the picture.
About every 3 weeks he has guests in his apartment and they make A LOT of noise. Usually late evening early morning. He's been called out on it by building management and they actually sent a letter to ALL the residents on my floor stating that they know there have been a lot of noise complaints, they have addressed it with the tenant, and the tenant has been made aware that if it continues - it's a violation of the lease agreement and the tenant is gone.
So...... Last night I'm hearing his door slamming (I'm assuming people going in and out of his apartment), I'm hearing what could be considered yelling, at times I am hearing people out in the hallway, and it's going on for literally hours.
I have three neighbors on my floor who are nurses. One next door to me and two who live together just a couple apartments down the hall. I am concerned that there are people congregating in the hallway and I am concerned that even if the nurses aren't exposed to them - the nurses may be trying to sleep.
I opened up my door and saw no-one in the hallway. I waited a few minutes for the guy to come out of his apartment. He didn't but someone came off the elevator and walked towards his apartment.
I said, "Buddy (don't know why I used that moniker - obviously he's not my buddy) will you please tell the guy in that apartment to please keep it down. Not for my sake but out of respect to the nurses who live on this floor and may be trying to get some sleep". The guy just looked at me and that was that. Less than 30 seconds later I hear someone yell - "FUCK YOU" and it sounded like the guy who lives in the apartment. I assumed it was directed at me and I was this/close to knocking on his door and having a few words with him. Instead I thought better of it and I just chilled out.
About 15 minutes later it seems the noise stopped for the evening but soon after I fell asleep so I can't be sure.
Here is my dilemma. Obviously the guy is an asshole. Obviously he's been warned by management.
Obviously he's still on my floor. My dilemma is that if I go to management and complain about the guy, as much as they may try and convince me that they don't tell residents who it is that narced on them, I can't be 100% sure that's true. If the guy was to be ousted, my concern is he knows where I live and I do believe he's capable of doing something stupid. So.... Do I just suck it up and deal with it or do I go to management and take the risk of this asshole possibly retaliating?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:44 am Dilemma last night...... I'm posting it on this thread only because there are nurses involved.
There is someone who lives down the hall from me. He basically behaves like he lives in a college dorm. No smoking building - he and/or his guest/s occasionally smoke/s (cigs & weed). Comes in and out of his apartment at all hours of the day and night and when he does as such - I am convinced he SLAMS his door on purpose. I have caught him leaving garbage strewn in the "garbage room" where the garbage chute is. You get the picture.
About every 3 weeks he has guests in his apartment and they make A LOT of noise. Usually late evening early morning. He's been called out on it by building management and they actually sent a letter to ALL the residents on my floor stating that they know there have been a lot of noise complaints, they have addressed it with the tenant, and the tenant has been made aware that if it continues - it's a violation of the lease agreement and the tenant is gone.
So...... Last night I'm hearing his door slamming (I'm assuming people going in and out of his apartment), I'm hearing what could be considered yelling, at times I am hearing people out in the hallway, and it's going on for literally hours.
I have three neighbors on my floor who are nurses. One next door to me and two who live together just a couple apartments down the hall. I am concerned that there are people congregating in the hallway and I am concerned that even if the nurses aren't exposed to them - the nurses may be trying to sleep.
I opened up my door and saw no-one in the hallway. I waited a few minutes for the guy to come out of his apartment. He didn't but someone came off the elevator and walked towards his apartment.
I said, "Buddy (don't know why I used that moniker - obviously he's not my buddy) will you please tell the guy in that apartment to please keep it down. Not for my sake but out of respect to the nurses who live on this floor and may be trying to get some sleep". The guy just looked at me and that was that. Less than 30 seconds later I hear someone yell - "FUCK YOU" and it sounded like the guy who lives in the apartment. I assumed it was directed at me and I was this/close to knocking on his door and having a few words with him. Instead I thought better of it and I just chilled out.
About 15 minutes later it seems the noise stopped for the evening but soon after I fell asleep so I can't be sure.
Here is my dilemma. Obviously the guy is an asshole. Obviously he's been warned by management.
Obviously he's still on my floor. My dilemma is that if I go to management and complain about the guy, as much as they may try and convince me that they don't tell residents who it is that narced on them, I can't be 100% sure that's true. If the guy was to be ousted, my concern is he knows where I live and I do believe he's capable of doing something stupid. So.... Do I just suck it up and deal with it or do I go to management and take the risk of this asshole possibly retaliating?
Dude needs to go. Report him to management. I can’t stand people like that.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:44 am Dilemma last night...... I'm posting it on this thread only because there are nurses involved.
Everyone in the building agreed to a set of rules when they signed the lease. Report him. Odds are that he is more bluster than badass and won't do anything dumb that would get him arrested but take extra precautions for both you and your property he could get at such as a vehicle.