COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 am I work with a guy that used to be the facility manager for the local hospital. The current staff has contactes him about possibly producing parts and pieces for ventilators (he has 3d printer, CNC machine etc) they also inquired about his thoughts on using non medical grade vents (ie welding supply hoods for underwater welding/enclosed welding) and are investigating the ability to outfit thoae with a hepa filter. They told him they have 4 ventilators.....for the entire 4 county region they serve.
I think to Apollo 13 a lot when thinking about crisis management and response. For instance, a couple weeks ago, I thought of this scene:
CONTROL - WHITE
- Whoa, whoa, guys! The power's everything. Power is
everything.

GENE KRANTZ (FLIGHT DIRECTOR - WHITE)
- What you mean?

CONTROL - WHITE
- Without it they don't talk to us, they don't correct their
trajectory, they don't turn the heatshield around... we
gotta turn everything off. Now. They're not gonna make it to
re-entry.

- What do you mean everything?

CONTROL - WHITE
- With everything on the LM draws 60 amps. At that rate in
sixteen hours the batteries are dead, not 45. And so is the
crew. We gotta get them down to 12 amps.

MOCR ENGINEER
- Whoa. 12 amps!
- How many?
- You can't run a vacuum cleaner on 12 amps, John.

CONTROL - WHITE
- We have to turn off the radars, cabin heater, instrument
displays, the guidance computer, the whole smash.

JERRY (FIDO - WHITE)
- Whoa. Guidance computer. What... what if they need to do
another burn? Gene, they won't even know which way they're
pointed
CONTROL - WHITE
- The more time we talk down here, the more juice they waste
up there. I've been looking at the data for the past hour.

- That's the deal?

CONTROL - WHITE
- That's the deal.
Your story makes me think of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry55--J4_VQ
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 am Bordering on “take it to the Petri Dish thread” territory :)

Mrs. Fish is sick. She has a history of sinus infections, and this one looks like a sinus infection and quacks like a sinus infection.

Still, with everything going on, we’re closely monitoring temperature, pulse O2 and the emergence of symptoms suggesting greater concern.

We’ve also been texting her PCP on a regular basis, first for a prescription for the infection, and more generally to establish a record if needbe.

What a time to be alive.
wife has been having some symptoms...chest tightness, fatigue, dizziness

called her personal physician yesterday and was able to get in within a couple hours (kinda surprising, but they questioned her heavily about symptoms before allowing her in the office)

diagnosed as panic attack (not surprising, given the exacerbated situation in SLC over the past couple days) coupled with severe seasonal allergies
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:56 am
TDub wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:44 am I work with a guy that used to be the facility manager for the local hospital. The current staff has contactes him about possibly producing parts and pieces for ventilators (he has 3d printer, CNC machine etc) they also inquired about his thoughts on using non medical grade vents (ie welding supply hoods for underwater welding/enclosed welding) and are investigating the ability to outfit thoae with a hepa filter. They told him they have 4 ventilators.....for the entire 4 county region they serve.
I think to Apollo 13 a lot when thinking about crisis management and response. For instance, a couple weeks ago, I thought of this scene:
CONTROL - WHITE
- Whoa, whoa, guys! The power's everything. Power is
everything.

- What you mean?

CONTROL - WHITE
- Without it they don't talk to us, they don't correct their
trajectory, they don't turn the heatshield around... we
gotta turn everything off. Now. They're not gonna make it to
re-entry.

- What do you mean everything?

CONTROL - WHITE
- With everything on the LM draws 60 amps. At that rate in
sixteen hours the batteries are dead, not 45. And so is the
crew. We gotta get them down to 12 amps.

MOCR ENGINEER
- Whoa. 12 amps!
- How many?
- You can't run a vacuum cleaner on 12 amps, John.

CONTROL - WHITE
- We have to turn off the radars, cabin heater, instrument
displays, the guidance computer, the whole smash.

JERRY (FIDO - WHITE)
- Whoa. Guidance computer. What... what if they need to do
another burn? Gene, they won't even know which way they're
pointed
CONTROL - WHITE
- The more time we talk down here, the more juice they waste
up there. I've been looking at the data for the past hour.

- That's the deal?

CONTROL - WHITE
- That's the deal.
Your story makes me think of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry55--J4_VQ
Ha, yea thats pretty spot on. I feel like were all in some movie plot in some alternate universe. The whole thing is surreal.

Maybe, just maybe, this is the most elaborate and massive april fools jokw in the history of the world. Ha, if only i believed that perhaps i would be less anxious as i stand here waiting for the concrete truck with a crew of workers. Doh!
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:00 am diagnosed as panic attack (not surprising, given the exacerbated situation in SLC over the past couple days) coupled with severe seasonal allergies
Completely understandable in these times, where we have no leadership, more questions than answers, and it feels like no one around us (my family not in NYC) are actually taking this thing seriously when we all knew that this would come to a head.
Deleted User 89

Vega wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:11 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:00 am diagnosed as panic attack (not surprising, given the exacerbated situation in SLC over the past couple days) coupled with severe seasonal allergies
Completely understandable in these times, where we have no leadership, more questions than answers, and it feels like no one around us (my family not in NYC) are actually taking this thing seriously when we all knew that this would come to a head.
she wouldn’t admit it, but i’m convinced the earthquake put her over the top

we experienced one in Lawrence a few years ago, but it was quite mild comparatively
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think people are misinterpreting what "underlying conditions" means. As well as thw fact that many people have underlying conditions that are relatively benign until something like this exposes them
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

new normal:

was supposed to have a global town hall to update all company employees on covid-19 (company operates in 16 different countries)

canceled due to provider not being able to provide sufficient bandwidth
Deleted User 307

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:51 am
Vega wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:11 am
she wouldn’t admit it, but i’m convinced the earthquake put her over the top

we experienced one in Lawrence a few years ago, but it was quite mild comparatively
I'm blessed to be in a stable position, job that cannot afford to lose me, with some sort of savings to get me through however long this whole thing takes to recover from, and I still feel the stress. I couldn't imagine have any other additional variable thrown at me. Having the fucking ground shake under me as I'm trying to cope with this new and fast changing world would absolutely set me off.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I just heard from a friend who has a friend in the National Guard that they have been put on alert and are expecting to be sent out to control the containment that Kelly will be putting on Kansas.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

defixione wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 am I just heard from a friend who has a friend in the National Guard that they have been put on alert and are expecting to be sent out to control the containment that Kelly will be putting on Kansas.
Or they could be used to distribute supplies like the National Guard in other States is doing.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I can work from home and have done so for most of the last 3 weeks.
My one big excursion out was to pick up my new pup last Saturday(5hrs away). I packed my own food and used two pairs of nitrile gloves to get in and out of public bathrooms at mom & pop stores not near an interstate highway. Pumping gas can be done with one glove.
I’ve been going thru the church directory and calling in on the old folks. I’m shocked how many elderly are still going out to the bank and such.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

"hi yall, we're one of the last guests still in house. We're obviously not buying into the hysteria, and are hell bent on spring break. Since the resorts and restaurants and everything up here is closed, I've been all pushy the last few days trying to leverage yall's management into giving me a discounted rate. Why haven't yall followed up?"

I'm sorry, ma'am, this is the first I've heard of this. I just checked with the manager who said, he sent you an email detailing your discussion to the address we have on file, per your request.

well what address do yall got on file?

this one, ma'am, it's the one you provided to us.

oh, well there's the problem. I didn't think yall would send it to that address, I never check that one.

ok ma'am, what email address would you prefer?

send it to my work email, it's so-and-so@CDC.GOV...
Deleted User 307

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:46 am "hi yall, we're one of the last guests still in house. We're obviously not buying into the hysteria, and are hell bent on spring break. Since the resorts and restaurants and everything up here is closed, I've been all pushy the last few days trying to leverage yall's management into giving me a discounted rate. Why haven't yall followed up?"

I'm sorry, ma'am, this is the first I've heard of this. I just checked with the manager who said, he sent you an email detailing your discussion to the address we have on file, per your request.

well what address do yall got on file?

this one, ma'am, it's the one you provided to us.

oh, well there's the problem. I didn't think yall would send it to that address, I never check that one.

ok ma'am, what email address would you prefer?

send it to my work email, it's so-and-so@CDC.GOV...
This is satire, right?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

nope.

like for real actually happened.

maybe the biggest spit take of my service industry career.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:54 am I wish you well Vega.
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:53 am nope.

like for real actually happened.

maybe the biggest spit take of my service industry career.
You said you were unemployed yesterday. I cant keep up
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it happened yesterday, right before I got one of them John Deere letters.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I'm just glad I'm employed and can work from home, although it is getting old being home all the time. Some mornings I just don't want to get up...anxiety, the unknown, etc., can wreak havoc on your mind and sleep.

But hopefully things settle down the next few weeks. I'll be working from home again next week and then we will see what Corporate suggests.

I did buy a second monitor from Dell that I got a few days ago. So nice to have dual monitors, especially when using Skype or Teams.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

We did get half of the organization I work for up and running on Slack. Email has significantly dropped off.
Holidaysmore - 2005