COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jfish26 »

Popped positive today. Not surprising after having a 102.8 fever last night. Didn’t lose my taste and smell this time around.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Get better soon! My wife just got over it, lasted almost two weeks.

I took First Defence when the first signs of a sore throat started - not sure if it was that or luck, but it never progressed past that.

Younger daughter got it from her - it was her first time. Was like a cold for her.

Older daughter got it to. It's her third time. It manifests strangely in her. She pukes, and has symptoms for a day, then that's it. Would think it was just food poisoning if not for the positive tests and the fact that others in the family have it.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Thoughts and prayers, Fish.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sorry to hear that jfish, I hope it's mild and uneventful. Keep us posted, if you don't mind.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Hope you're better soon fish. I got something, more than two weeks now. Daughter had a sinus infection. Prolly that.
Defense. Rebounds.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

My client has been battling walking pneumonia and I received a text from her the night before we left for two weeks in Colorado. I just tested positive for Covid, the message read. It's been four days and I have zero symptoms. 🤞
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm not even sure there's a real good point to even test anymore. Unless it's ugly the treatment doesn't change. I dunno, I could be wrong. The new school rules are 24 hrs without a fever and good to go, ao, basically the same as any other illness.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:19 pm I'm not even sure there's a real good point to even test anymore. Unless it's ugly the treatment doesn't change. I dunno, I could be wrong. The new school rules are 24 hrs without a fever and good to go, ao, basically the same as any other illness.
I tested because I have an underlying condition that makes me eligible to be prescribed Paxlovid (which also requires a positive test).

Turns out I have Covid and Group C strep.

Thanks for all of this, guppies.

But, I'm much better today than I've been in a week.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

on the mend is always good to hear
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:47 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:19 pm I'm not even sure there's a real good point to even test anymore. Unless it's ugly the treatment doesn't change. I dunno, I could be wrong. The new school rules are 24 hrs without a fever and good to go, ao, basically the same as any other illness.
I tested because I have an underlying condition that makes me eligible to be prescribed Paxlovid (which also requires a positive test).

Glad to hear you're better!
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

fair enough, wasn't trying to dismiss the idea of testing, just was curious as to the necessity of it as covid sort of melds itself into our standard fall array of illnesses.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:20 am

fair enough, wasn't trying to dismiss the idea of testing, just was curious as to the necessity of it as covid sort of melds itself into our standard fall array of illnesses.
Took no offense! I probably wouldn't have tested if we didn't have a dozen or more of them sitting in the medicine drawers.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:10 am

Glad to hear you're better!
Me too! Now I'm really hopeful this awful acidic, bitter taste that's just sort of there, isn't there permanently.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

What we call "long covid", is referred to as "PCC-Post Covid Condition", in this article.

SUMMARY AND COMMENT | INFECTIOUS DISEASES HOSPITAL MEDICINE
INFORMING PRACTICE
December 15, 2023

How Well Do COVID-19 Vaccines Work to Prevent Post–COVID-19 Condition?

Hana M. El Sahly, MD, reviewing Lundberg-Morris L et al. BMJ 2023 Nov 22 Sivan M et al. BMJ 2023 Nov 22

In a Swedish population-based study, receipt of at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine had 58% effectiveness at preventing PCC-Post Covid Condition.

The effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines at preventing post–COVID-19 condition (PCC) has been estimated to vary from 13% to 52% due to heterogeneous study methodologies and case definitions. Now, in a population-based observational study in Sweden (where a PCC diagnosis code has been in use since October 2020), investigators analyzed data on PCC, vaccination history, preexisting comorbidities, COVID-19 severity, and sociodemographic variables in patients with COVID-19 diagnoses between December 2020 and February 2022. In adjusted analysis of vaccination prior to SARS-CoV-2 infection, the authors assessed the effectiveness of such vaccination at preventing PCC.

The cohort consisted of 589,722 patients with COVID-19, of whom 49% had not been vaccinated before infection (median follow-up beginning 28 days after the COVID-19 index date, 129 days). Unvaccinated individuals were primarily infected during the Alpha variant period (60.2%), while vaccinated persons were mostly infected during Omicron's predominance (74.9%). Effectiveness at preventing PCC of at least one dose of vaccine was 58% and rose with the number of doses (21% [1 dose], 59% [2 doses], and 73% [≥3 doses]).

COMMENT

In addition to lessening the degree of morbidity and mortality linked to COVID-19, vaccines are proving effective at preventing PCC. This study's strengths lie in its population-based approach and clinician-based PCC assessment.
PCC's etiology has been hypothesized to be a function of viral persistence, aberrant immune responses, and/or organ damage. As the editorialists point out, elucidating these mechanisms — as well as the modulating effects of vaccination on residual PCC symptoms — could also advance our understanding of other postviral syndromes.
Anand Giridharadas
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

I’ve had 5 or 6 COVID shots I think, lost track. Not sick yet, stopped with the masks.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

So many different threads I could have put this on.

I will refrain from comment to other than to say I read the tweet Jamari responded to and what Jamari said, and concluded, JFC.

https://twitter.com/MagnaMari_/status/1 ... 6160263484
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

What happened to Jamari's aunt?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:15 am What happened to Jamari's aunt?
In his words "It gave her complications. I mean she was already overweight and unhealthy but that was the cherry on top."

So yeah... apparently you can't blame COVID for killing overweight, unhealthy people but you can blame the COVID vaccine.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

So is he saying she had an adverse reaction to the vaccine and died?

If true, it's very rare, but it happens. He's entitled to feel however he wants about it I suppose.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:54 am So is he saying she had an adverse reaction to the vaccine and died?

If true, it's very rare, but it happens. He's entitled to feel however he wants about it I suppose.
Posting "He helped kill my auntie" on social media is a bit more than "feel however he wants".