COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 141

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Not sure I said the mask issue is being politicized by ‘the left’. I don’t think that particular issue is, although it is by Trump, as I mentioned in the dumbfuck thread.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What does the left politicize?

Like make an issue less about the substance of the issue, and more about petty political bullshit...that’s what we mean when we say politicize, right?

I genuinely have to ask, cuz I perceive the left - or maybe just democrats - as not particularly good at getting anything at all done. To suggest they’re suddenly so savvy they’re politicizing things is giving an awful lot of credit.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and re: gq’s comment that congress might not have even played along, man, that’s a thought.

Maybe it woulda happened that way - if potus, in the midst of an impeachment trial, suddenly raised a fuss about an imminent pandemic threat, perhaps congress would have hesitated.

But man, if only...I would gladly blame congress at this point if it went down that way, cuz at least that woulda meant potus was trying to do something, anything, sooner than later?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:47 pm Gq says it well I think in his first two point five 'paragraphs'.
The messy middle is in his the 2nd half of his third, fourth paragraphs.
The last sentence does just fine.

And ous, i'm not tying to point you out individually/directly, you're my boi, but I do think you are part of a group that just leans, imo, in that non-progressive section who at least at face value, is quick to point out the LOLz of the other sides opinions when it comes to "poli-topics" because they seem dumb to you.

As much as I think phD is the worst poster on the bored, and I can't believe I'm saying this but also DC, I think they are closer to a reasonable wavelength when it comes to this kinda stuff.

And DC left the boreds b/c of me.
Fuck you. I'm not reasonable.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:41 pm What does the left politicize?
Serious?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

you mean to suggest dems actually get anything done?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There are good people ( on both sides lol trump ) on both sides up and down our government at different levels.

Unfortunately, from what I gather, it takes a lot of money and deals to get to the level of high command and the best people who are probably more fit for uniting the folks ( just to get PhD mad ) probably never make it that far.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

First time I have ever seen reasonable and DC in the same sentence.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I remember the good ol’ days when he was just here to help.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:01 pm We can't plan for every situation or accommodate everyone.
I think what i've done is responsible, others don't.

Being so overwhelmed with what someone else has decided for themselves if you do not agree with it and then ( not saying you have gone to this length ) making it a mission to let more people know about it and make sure they personally know that YOU and other people don't agree with and try to attempt to let it personally affect them ( professionally ) is a scary and uncomfortable future.

There needs to be a middle ground - it's what MICH annoyingly refers to as folks - he's a bit off here in my opinion, but he's right in that there are people that look at two sides of this current political climate:

A. A freedom and even protection to express oneself, even if it hurts peoples feelings, which shouldn't ever be considered as a protected right ( and i'm adamant against this, if you bring feelings into a protected right, we are all fucked )

B. A clear disregard for other humans lives

The turning point for me here is the frightening power of the collective public with the state of technology.
It is an updated version of Tocqueville -- the masses can press an agenda and force a person living in this environment who disagrees with them to immediately suffer -- and it may not be correct.
It's crowd thought and it doesn't belong in the USA.
( of course, all opinion )
Great post.

Most importantly, you are free to live your life as you choose.
I have always been a conflicted person. In terms of what you said in regards to your feeling you have been responsible (and others don't), how's this? I don't think you AND I don't others are wrong.
Who is the ultimate decider of what is "responsible" or not? It has to be you. Right or wrong.

I feel it's ok to be "overwhelmed" with what someone else has decided for themselves if..... It directly affects you or you care about that person and it can negatively affect that person.
Thing with the virus is we don't know if we are going to get it and/or spread it. Some people don't worry about nor fear the unknown, others do worry about "what ifs".

Speaking of "middle ground", I agree there needs to be a middle ground. I would be foolish not to.

The last thing you commented on was well thought out and it's more than frightening to me.
In terms of both Network "news" and social media.
Anyone can say anything and INSTANTLY people run with it and run with it and run with it.
Came home from dinner tonight and the first thing I read on Facebook was two of my friends shared the same "meme". It was in regards to an "incident" in Portland. Peaked my curiosity so I did a 5 second Google search and was able to read about it.
Of course a simple search proved part of it to be wrong and the other part was in terms of finding the suspect - well the suspect has been found and arrested.
This happens ALL THE TIME. People post shit without knowing the source or without even knowing if it's true. Of course it's not exclusive to Liberals/Democrats or Conservative/Republicans.

Then we have the "news" - completely manipulating their followers.
We live in a country of gullible easily brainwashed people.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Social Media is the root of all evil.....and money too
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:27 pm you mean to suggest dems actually get anything done?
The left (and the right) politicize every single thing.

The dems dont get stuff done because you absolutely cannot please everyone and they are very concerned with not hurting anyones feelings. Which is fine, but will slow down the process considerably.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think categorizing dems/libs v pubs/trumpists as teams/us vs them is problematic.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For sure.

We needs leaders who unite.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And I hesitate to come right out and suggest one party in particular uses more “us v. them” rhetoric, but if Dems can be faulted for not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings and loosing cuz they don’t know they can’t please everyone, then does that make republicans comparatively divisive?

Sorry that might be too pols boredy
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:51 pm And I hesitate to come right out and suggest one party in particular uses more “us v. them” rhetoric, but if Dems can be faulted for not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings and loosing cuz they don’t know they can’t please everyone, then does that make republicans comparatively divisive?

Read Newton's third law of motion.

Isaac Newton...not the guy who posts here and has a nurse wife.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I thought that dude quit the team after boot camp?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and trying to be progressive, and stay on topic: so how do we get Merica to buy into some collective effort for the sake of the nation’s health? Stop arguing about common sense precautions and focus on beating a pandemic?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:51 pm And I hesitate to come right out and suggest one party in particular uses more “us v. them” rhetoric, but if Dems can be faulted for not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings and loosing cuz they don’t know they can’t please everyone, then does that make republicans comparatively divisive?

You can want to please everyone in your circle and still be vicious to those outside of it. Or to those you dont think are deserving.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m still not convinced it’s an equal and opposite thing but the discussion belongs on the other bored.