Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by TDub »

Of course you arent. Ita tough for you to see through the fog of bias
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:20 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:51 pm And I hesitate to come right out and suggest one party in particular uses more “us v. them” rhetoric, but if Dems can be faulted for not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings and loosing cuz they don’t know they can’t please everyone, then does that make republicans comparatively divisive?

Sorry that might be too pols boredy
You can want to please everyone in your circle and still be vicious to those outside of it. Or to those you dont think are deserving.
Did you happen to attend Trump University?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

...coming from the same guy who in the same thread just said the fault of the other side is trying to be TOO inclusive...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You guys struggle with reading comprehension
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Masks mandatory in KY beginning tomorrow. Gonna set off the constitooshun crowd.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

lol good spelling.

It’s almost inspiring, really, that so many folks are so committed to their careers as constitutional law scholars that they never even bothered to learn grade school grammar first.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ugh, I just got too close to a tourist. Though it was outdoors, neither of us were wearing masks. I know it was too close because of the worst part: I was overwhelmed by her thick sweet perfume, and now I can’t get the smell out of my nose. Ugh ugh ugh.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

If hospitals fill, this would be worth way way more than a fast pass.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Work for a company that normally has between 300 and 350 people in the Chicago office. Last week on Monday and Tuesday there were 5 or 6 of us in the office. Received an email today stating that someone I worked with last week thinks they have the virus, got tested, and is awaiting the results. It's been a cluster fuck for the past hour because the people (3) who sent the email have responded differently to the emails those of us who were "exposed" have sent them. If I didn't need my job I would strongly consider telling them how incompetent I feel they are. The inconsistencies in terms of how overly anal to extremely lackadaisical that they have handled the virus have been astonishing.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

It had been increasingly hard to find really good young engineers over the course of the last decade. Although work has slowed, we are going to interview good candidates that the economy has tossed into the chaos and who get washed up on our doorstep. Two such early career hotshots have sent in resumes. It was decided that they should come in for interviews. Then an email comes yesterday saying one of the candidate's wife just tested positive for covid and now he has been tested and he is awaiting the test results.

Question; do we wait for his results or do we proceed with the other candidate's interview and maybe hire them without opportunity to compare the two? Do we now conduct all interviews via Skype?

The two partners involved in this hire now have a different take on holding "in person" interviews, they were slapped in the face with the obvious risk. Neither of them wears a mask to work and they do not wear them to meetings with employees in the office. All of their employees work in the office now and none of them wear a mask in the office. They all wear masks when they go to the grocery, but somehow it doesn't seem to matter to them in the office because.....?

In the meantime a fourth partner here has been working in the office without a mask as well. His grandkids live with him and he was notified that the father who had just visited, tested positive for covid. He has stayed home this week and just found out today that all of the kids living with him just tested positive and he is waiting for his turn to get tested. The threat is circling and keeps getting closer.

I am opting out of all in person interviews and have kept the door to my office closed and anyone wanting to talk to me has to put a mask on and stand in the doorway. My two key people are both working remotely because I can't afford to lose either of them right now due to an extended illness. Everyone keeps looking at me like I am a freak, but fuck them. The last freak standing wins.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Freak power!

and yea, just Skype that shit
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Everyone in my office wears a mask when they move about. We are still at about 50% normal capacity....3 or 4 people here most days compared to 7 or 8 during normal times. I am mostly home, but do come in for 1-4hrs many days just to get some stuff done that is easier to do here...the opposite side of our building that is a small insurance company (15ish employees) do not wear masks at all....we only share bathrooms and a kitchen, but i dont go in either right now. If i have to pee i drive home (i live like 2min from the office a few neighborhoods over).

I do not understand why people hate masks so much when in enclosed spaces.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

It's pretty simple.
Anyone who refuses to wear a mask in public is one of 3 things:

1) A complete fucking asshole
2) A complete fucking idiot
3) Both
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't like wearing a mask when I don't have to - i.e. i'm in the parking lot walking to the grocery store.
This would also apply if I was working at a desk in an office if no one was around me.
I would understand putting a mask on when going to a common area.

And currently my state is not increasing in cases so it would be fair to think state to state would have different regulations -- so when I see someone go into a gas station or grocery store without a mask, I may be a bit bothered b/c they aren't following posted signs that suggest them, but i'm certainly not as angry as some of you seem ( and maybe i'm misreading the room ).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Didn't anyone learn from last time around? If it's not bad in your particular area, it's not because you've won. Now's not the time to let up.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Am very pessimistic about ever getting this under control.
Last edited by seahawk on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't inject Lysol.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

seahawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:01 pm Am very pessimistic about ever getting this under control after dealing with my local politicos yesterday, who were asked to put in a mask ordinance. This is in Florida, where we are beset with tourists who feel they're on vacation and don't need to follow those rules from wherever they've left. Some of our posters' beloved illiterate, stupid, idiotic Bubbas were out in force to repeat all the reasons that Psych used to offer for why this is all ridiculous.

Like,1. The only people dying are old people in nursing homes and they're not dying of COVID, the authorities just wrote that down.

2. Masks don't work at all to prevent the virus spreading and there's no research that says so.

3. The doctors and scientists disagree about mask effectiveness with about 50% on one side and 50% on the other.

4. Just as many people die from the flu as from COVID, are we going to require them to wear masks during flu season?

5. All old people should just stay completely at home for however many years until this is under control. This was stated by someone well in the group that he was talking about.

6. It's not legal and people won't obey it. Seatbelts are legal, no-smoking ordinances are legal, you can tell people when to take their dogs on the beach, but trying to save lives--no way. MY FREEDOMS.

Our local Bubba commissioners agreed that there was no agreement among scientists, that the research is 50-50, that they had received an equal amount of requests yay and nay about an ordinance (which was a lie). They all stood shoulder to shoulder to each other and didn't wear masks to the meeting (which they did at the last meeting) and participated in a photo op with cupcakes to celebrate something.

The Bubbas believe all the stuff that Trump and crew are saying. The commissioners are all terrified of Trump and De Santis and will do nothing. It was unbelievable.
See, I thought it was climate change that was going to come for Florida.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Mjl wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:28 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:01 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:51 am
so leave academia

not much different than propping up the steel or coal industries...if the model is no longer sustainable, change course (or you could whine and cry about it)
I should learn to code, huh?
Yes
Hey Psych, Ivanka agrees with me.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... thing-new/

(FWIW - I completely agree with her and Yang never took heat for saying basically the same thing)
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

When I was 8 to 13 I went to sleep away camp for 8 weeks every summer. I'm sure my parents were thrilled to get rid of me.
Surprisingly, the camp I went to is having 7 weeks of camp this summer. They made kids quarantine for two weeks before camp and now the kids are in a "bubble" and have been tested frequently.
Anyways, I looked on Instagram tonight and the camp shared a funny post. When I was at camp most of us had parents who "smuggled" treats through the mail despite the camp insisting parents don't do as such. Well, 40+ years later nothing has changed in that regard.
As you can see in the post below, a parent was creative - and they got busted.
At first I smiled - as I am sure most people did. Then I thought since it appears the parent doesn't care about rules, I wonder if the parent who sent that didn't have their kid quarantine before leaving for camp - unless we are going to blame Grandma for this.
So.... If you were the camp director would you just laugh it off and tell the parent to please not do it again or would you be more harsh considering the circumstances. I have no idea what the director could/can do but I would be pretty ticked off - being that the director expressed to the parents how imperative it is that they follow ALL the rules. Clearly this parent didn't give a damn.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCt8LFUlQwI/?