COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Mjl

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Mjl »

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:54 pm We don't need it but will likely spend it. Restaurants, Mrs 99 likes to buy clothes. It will get back into the economy and even generate some tax revenue locally.
But will it help with employment? People aren't out of work because people didn't have enough to spend. They're out of work because the virus has sped up changes to the economy too quickly, rendering many out of work. Extra cash, especially so temporary, isn't going to get companies to hire. Why would you hire an FTE in response to a short-term event?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The only thing it helps is that it prevents people on the edge from missing a rent payment.

Which, is why it should be a optional feature.

Although the prediction of 28 million new homeless by September is a not so great forward look.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Related note. The extra $600 a week unemployment benefit (think it expired this week) is a bunch of bogus bullshit. I know people that are purposely sitting at home because theyre making more on unemployment. Despitr multiple job openings and offers.

With the benefit it is possible to make $1300 a week. Not bad for sitting on your ass.
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:00 pm Related note. The extra $600 a week unemployment benefit (think it expired this week) is a bunch of bogus bullshit. I know people that are purposely sitting at home because theyre making more on unemployment. Despitr multiple job openings and offers.

With the benefit it is possible to make $1300 a week. Not bad for sitting on your ass.
Again, this
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ummm how can you stay on unemployment if you're offered a job? I think it depends on the state.

and you can't blame anyone for wanting more money. Rich folks work the gummint to put more cash in their own pockets all the fucking time, yet it's only some scandal when poor folks do it?

I think the fact that it took a pandemic relief package for so many millions of Americans to get paid more than they've ever made is, if anything, some argument for income equality and fairer distribution of wealth.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and let's not forget there is that whole pandemic thing still going on, killing thousands a week, which might give pause to anyone who cares about things like health and life more than money.

meh, fuck it. Get back to work, you freeloading bums!

no, not you, 1 percenters. We're yelling at the ones on the other end of the curve.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Not at all surprised that this is your take ous. "Give us more" "We deserve more, give me money". "Its your fault not mine."

They have waived the requirement that you must be actively seeking a job and must take job offers (requirement waived because pfnthe pandemic).

Secondly, during normal times many many people scam that. I know of a girl that (college educated but qualified for things like accounting etc) would apply for work as a doctor or nurse or lawyer or athletic trainer, magician, anything....she knew she would get turned down and therefore could keep her unemployment.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:20 pm ummm how can you stay on unemployment if you're offered a job? I think it depends on the state.

and you can't blame anyone for wanting more money. Rich folks work the gummint to put more cash in their own pockets all the fucking time, yet it's only some scandal when poor folks do it?

I think the fact that it took a pandemic relief package for so many millions of Americans to get paid more than they've ever made is, if anything, some argument for income equality and fairer distribution of wealth.
you cant be offered a job if you arent looking and there is no easy way for them to accurately track if you are looking for a job like you are suppose to be doing.

My wife got unemployment because she is a social worker and her behavioral hospital furloughed a bunch of their staff including her. The $600 bonus was nice for her because since she is basically paid by apppointment, and had only been back with the hospital for a short time (after working at a school for a year), without it she would have been eligible for $85 a week in regular unemployment....so with the $600 bonus (after taxes and fees) she got $587 every week, until she went back to work recently.

....but now that we have chosen to do remote learning only with our soon to be 1st grade daughter she wont be able to work much. Which is fine. Thankfully i stashed some money from stimulus #1 and her unemployment to float us comfortably (relatively speaking) for this school year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:42 am Not at all surprised that this is your take ous. "Give us more" "We deserve more, give me money". "Its your fault not mine."
who do you think I am, Japhy?!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And like I said, I think the specific terms of unemployment depend on the state.

In CO they initially relaxed the whole “you have to be actively looking for work,” but then tightened it back up.

I’m not allowed to talk about my job here any more, but this guy I know was on unemployment until a few weeks ago when his old job called him back and said, wanna come back to work? Cuz if not, fine, but either way you’re getting kicked off unemployment.

So I, I mean this guy I know, went back to work on the front lines....and by front lines I don’t mean the front lines of health care, just the front lines of y’all’s vacation. The three biggest sources of tourists in CO this summer have been Texas, Arizona, and Florida.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh! And if I may ask again, why do you only get pissed about freeloaders when they’re poor?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I dont like freeloaders that bitch and moan about every single thing related to making a living.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man, I once again am bummed that you have such a negative perception of me.

I’d like to bury the hatchet by offering to buy you a beer at the crooked creek saloon...assuming that’s not another no-no handout too.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:51 am Man, I once again am bummed that you have such a negative perception of me.
Its not your fault. ;)
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I don’t even know what that means.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Those folks need to remember unemployment checks are taxable, so if they are not withholding federal and state taxes, it's going to get them come next April.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:36 am I don’t even know what that means.
It means nothings ever your fault. Its the employer or the texan or the asshole ordering a refill or the dude wanting a late check out
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Is it true that some people are sitting at home because of the increased unemployment benefit? Of course it is. The same way as it's true that some people make decisions they wouldn't make if they had to pay for their own health care, and so on.

But seizing on those examples is missing the point. And falling into a trap.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:55 pm Is it true that some people are sitting at home because of the increased unemployment benefit? Of course it is. The same way as it's true that some people make decisions they wouldn't make if they had to pay for their own health care, and so on.

But seizing on those examples is missing the point. And falling into a trap.
When the feature is being attacked as the bug. Keeping people home is a good thing.

If GOP had better responses in their states, we'd be in a much better place. But instead GOP spent months attacking China or attacking the experts instead of putting in place a smart reaction. They wasted six months attacking various establishments, including our doctors, our experts, and forces outside of our jurisdiction. Nearly everyone could be off that $600 a week if the GOP didn't botch everything so badly.

Also, it's $600 a week, which is $30k a year. Let's stop acting like it's a high amount of money. Going to be a lot cheaper to pay $600 a week in taxable income than non-taxable welfare for the folks who won't be able to eat or pay rent.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

$600 a week isn’t much I guess, though it still was the highest weekly income ever received by...who knows how many millions of Mericans.

Recall, it was initially “here live on $1200 for the next who knows how long...”

Meanwhile, a small portion of 1 percenters earned like $650 billion in the same time.