COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jfish26 »

There is great discussion ongoing in the Petri Dish thread, but it is - as it very much should be - full of policy debate, etc.

I thought it would be good to split our personal experiences into a separate thread, since whatever's coming (or here) is coming to us regardless of side.

As for me, I live in the KC Metro. I know of no cases or suspected cases in my personal network.

Mrs. Fish and me are fortunate to have jobs we can do from home, jobs that are also reasonably likely to still be here in a year.

We sent my 75-year-old, smoked-for-35-years mother home on Thursday. Until we at least understand the shape of this thing, I can tolerate the hassle of sharing three-kid watching duties with Mrs. Fish a lot more than I can bear jeopardizing my mother's generally-good health.

Now, if this ends up being a many-months sort of thing, we may revisit. But I just want to make decisions now that I can live with later, if this ends up very badly.
Geezer

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This is a good thread. I’d whine about all my encounters with ignorant tourists, but I’ve already done that in other threads, once or twice.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Happy to learn that Hy-Vee is having old people hour from 7 am to 8 am every day.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But I thought those folks are early birds...why so late in the day?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The children work at Hy-Vee
colbond

Post by colbond »

I work in Boulder, CO in an office of about 250 people. We closed the office about a week ago. Since then two people have tested positive and we don't know if they were contagious while in the office.
Traffic in north Denver is pretty much nonexistent. It's kind of surreal.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Confirmed cases in my county. 4 of the dirt guys we are using just returned from a trip to vegas via Seattle. We got the word from the powers that be that we are not shutting down until required to by the government and any absences will be considered unexcused without a doctor's note. Vacation time has been suspended without a minimum 1 month lead time and approval. We were told if we take time off now dont expect to have a job when its over.

Groceries stores are empty. Its a weird time. If it werent for insurance needs i would consider saying fuck you and riding this out at home, the last thing i want to do is bring this home to my little kids.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 am Confirmed cases in my county. 4 of the dirt guys we are using just returned from a trip to vegas via Seattle. We got the word from the powers that be that we are not shutting down until required to by the government and any absences will be considered unexcused without a doctor's note. Vacation time has been suspended without a minimum 1 month lead time and approval. We were told if we take time off now dont expect to have a job when its over.

Groceries stores are empty. Its a weird time. If it werent for insurance needs i would consider saying fuck you and riding this out at home, the last thing i want to do is bring this home to my little kids.
What a terrible situation. I hope when the dust settles, you find something better.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

2 cases in my county and 2 in the neighboring county. Yesterday was the first positive test due to community spread. Financial institutions, except the one I work at and maybe 1 or 2 others, have gone to closed lobby and drive up lanes only. Last night was the first wave of restaurants and bars fully closing after a few days of only carry-out.

Luckily the 2nd season of All-American just got put on Netflix, so I'll at least have something to do for a few hours this weekend.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I've been working from home this week and I'm guessing next week...wait and see what Corporate Communications states. Not my favorite thing to do. I prefer to work in the office, just feel more motivated and whatnot. Try to keep up like I'm going to work (set alarm, shower, eat breakfast), then log in to work.
It's just me and my dog, so it get pretty lonely being home all day. I took my boxer to doggy day this morning at 7 am (just so he could out and play) and then stopped at Price Chopper in Brookside...already out of TP. This is crazy. I have 5 or 6 rolls left, but I'm getting frustrated by all the fvcking hoarders. As I was walking out a guy had 2 10 packs of TP in his arm and nothing else. These imbeciles are just hoarding shit.

Oh well, be safe all.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:01 am
TDub wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 am Confirmed cases in my county. 4 of the dirt guys we are using just returned from a trip to vegas via Seattle. We got the word from the powers that be that we are not shutting down until required to by the government and any absences will be considered unexcused without a doctor's note. Vacation time has been suspended without a minimum 1 month lead time and approval. We were told if we take time off now dont expect to have a job when its over.

What a terrible situation. I hope when the dust settles, you find something better.
Its the way life goes man. Complaining wont do me any good. If this gets worse im prepared to bail on my job and live at home for extended time. No insurance will be an issue however, but what do ya do?

I was about 6 months to 12 months away from starting my own business with 3 or 4 employees, not sure if that wouldve been better or worse though.

My situation is better than many many americans so I wont hang my head. The decision becomes do we say fuck it and go into homesteading mode? The conversation my wife and I had last night was interesting. If I bail and this doesnt get better I wont have a job and we could lose everything (one extreme). If I continue working and I get sick and my kids get sick I will never forgive myself and we could still lose everything (another extreme). This thing has forced all of us to make decisions based on extremes and I dont know the right thing to do yet. It will become more clear over the next month or two.

The report today that suggested that wven those who recover are looking at a potential 20-30% reduced lung function is downright terrifying. I would like to punch people who tell me its no big deal, were all overracting and they hope they get it so we can just get over this and move on. Fuck that thought process.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The other option is to find work in a capacity that will help the community. My area is desperate for firefighters and emts. They sre offering salaries of 5300-7500 a month. If i didnt have kids to worry about I'd join the fire department. Or, take that rancher up on his offer to be a range rider. My wife did not approve of me considering either of those options.
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

Dang TDub, that's a tough one...makes me feel guilty for complaining about TP...lol.

I think I'm pretty safe with my job. Been there for 14 years, so even if I got laid off, I would get a nice severance package (3 weeks of pay for each year of service). Just trying to keep motivated with all the chaos and stock market downfall. I feel like just hibernating for the next month.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The doctor's note thing just fucking kills me.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yep. Its a little comedy relief in a dark time. Haha.

Seriously tho, I'll be ok. I've said my piece and i'm done complaining. We all have choices to make and we live with those choices. I'd say we save our sympathy for the healthcare industry and those who are out of choices. We will move through it and recover asa nation (world) eventually......
Just Ledoux it
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

In the current world we are living in a range rider doesn't sound half bad.

Checking in from South OP. Mrs. Holiday already worked from home so now she has a full time guest. Yay! Can't complain. Could be far worse so I am counting my blessings!
Holidaysmore - 2005
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mrs 99 works at a hospital where there are virus patients. She doesn't seem to be worried. They are all in negative pressure rooms with lots of precautions. One death so far in the next county.

I'm more worried about my Mom in JoCo. She turns 90 this year and has enough issues, including respiratory.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I've been pretty directly impacted by this pandemic. I should have paid more attention to the news and what people were saying. You think to yourself, "it won't happen to me", you think you're invincible and that those rules only apply to other people. And now here I am, down to one roll of paper towels in the house and all the stores are completely out. Please, don't let this happen to you. I just feel lucky that I still have toilet paper.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

I may have.

From March 9 to March 13, there was an asymptomatic person working in my office, but different floor. This week it was confirmed that they have tested positive.

My wife's company sent five folks that work closely with her to a conference around that same week. There was a break out in that conference, and several have tested positive. No one has been tested in her office.

Starting after I deleted my previous account (as a joke, I was going to make a real account anyway) I started showing flu-like symptoms. Hot, not quite feverish, feels like fluid in my lungs the last four to five days, and I can't stop coughing. Also, I have trouble laying on my back, as that fluid-like feeling pools up, and I just cough. On Monday, I could hardly move, like I had a severe flu. Been taking OTC meds for relief, but am feeling better. My wife started showing similar symptoms last two days or so. We both have flu shots, and have been holed up in our apartment since Tuesday last week anyway (my office moved full remote last Tuesday, she moved this week).

Just happy I'm young and healthy, because I could see where, if this is indeed the Rona,where the complications would occur. Stay safe out there.
Last edited by Deleted User 307 on Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.