COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:16 am
TDub wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:48 pm https://www.newsweek.com/nancy-pelosi-c ... ew-1519539

Classy. Lord dont call it the china virus though....(its not and you shouldn't but this is the same idoicy). I hate our politicians.
It's not the same, that's a false equivalence. The collateral damage of one compared to the other is not even close to the same.

Not to mention, the buck stops with the President and the policies put and/or not put into place since the virus hit the states.
I dont think its a false equivalence...both are intentional, politically driven,and meant to divide (and "whip up their base") theyre both wrong and theyre both stupid
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sorry, probably too politicky, i should've put it on the other board. Pdub, move it if youd like.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

They are both wrong and both stupid is true.

So is CnB’s point about collateral damage done by Trump’s usage. In same way his change in stance about masks will lead to more people wearing masks.

Bottom line, it’s an attempt to deflect responsibility of his actions.

And, although I guess it’s debatable if him using the term is ‘racist’, the results of him using the term is damaging to Chinese-Americans, and because, well, ‘Murica, also all those who may ‘look’ Chinese.

Again, both are dumb. Trump’s is way way more dumber (intentional misuse). Probably, in fact, it’s the biggest dumb of them all in this argument. Trump would like that. He likes being the superlative.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

“Both are dumb” is like saying murder and jaywalking are both crimes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:08 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:16 am
TDub wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:48 pm https://www.newsweek.com/nancy-pelosi-c ... ew-1519539

Classy. Lord dont call it the china virus though....(its not and you shouldn't but this is the same idoicy). I hate our politicians.
It's not the same, that's a false equivalence. The collateral damage of one compared to the other is not even close to the same.

Not to mention, the buck stops with the President and the policies put and/or not put into place since the virus hit the states.
I dont think its a false equivalence...both are intentional, politically driven,and meant to divide (and "whip up their base") theyre both wrong and theyre both stupid
I get it and don't condone the childish political games, two wrongs don't make a right yada yada. It's only half the story, though. There's intent and there's resulting harm. The "both sides do it" movement tends to wash away everything as the same when it's often not.

And, again, the President can take it. They sign up for the criticism and the target. Innocent citizens do not. The fallout is just way different.
Deleted User 141

Many Chinese restaurants here have signs up saying it’s dangerous to use terms like China Virus, and to please still be their customer.

My stomach drops every time I read one of the signs.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

China ( as a country/administration ) made a number of poor ( selfish ) decisions early when the virus was just spreading. One could reason that they ( and not all Chinese people - but the powers that be ) could have prevented half a million deaths with different decisions.

So yes, Trump using the term is political and dangerous - just because of who he is and why he is using that language - however the virus is from China and China ( again, as a country ) may be largely to blame for the spread - just as Trump may be largely to blame for the spread here in the US.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Trump is more responsible for the deaths of many Americans than China. So there’s that.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Can't have one without the other.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Regardless of where the blame starts/how the blame is divided, don't stoop to stuff like that Pelosi.
Be the better person.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:23 am Regardless of where the blame starts/how the blame is divided, don't stoop to stuff like that Pelosi.
Be the better person.
I mean - why? What faith should the Democrats have that there remain any bonus points for "being the better person."
Deleted User 141

To break the cycle is the answer. But yes, that’s naivety.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:32 am
pdub wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:23 am Regardless of where the blame starts/how the blame is divided, don't stoop to stuff like that Pelosi.
Be the better person.
I mean - why? What faith should the Democrats have that there remain any bonus points for "being the better person."
Because as soon as you resort to the same petty BS, it results in people immediately dismissing any vaid points you make afterwards. It was childish, petty and unnecessary. She thought it was a witty zinger but it's just petty.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's petty and really pretty lame, but everyone should place the blame for this debacle at the feet of their governance.

Not at those short, funny looking immigrants.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Gqcolorado wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:32 pm To break the cycle is the answer. But yes, that’s naivety.
Yes. It is naive. This is like the ref calling a foul on the guy who pushes away the defender who’s been elbowing him the entire game. Stand up to the bully. It’s too bad that the pearl-clutchers are not used to it, especially from a powerful woman
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

All the US could control is how we handled it. And there are Extremely poor districts surrounding Mumbai that handled the pandemic far better than Trump’s executive branch. I now know six people who have caught it and three have died. “Statistically insignificant” a right wing co-worker called it in April. It is a shocking return to Bronze Age pandemic management.
Deleted User 141

So we are all pretty much numb to the ‘numbers’ at this point?

Critical cases up ~20% last two days.

I’m actually curious where hospital numbers are in ‘hot spots’.

Also very happy mortality rate is much much less than it was during initial phase. Skeptical if that is bc of what demographic is being infected, or how the numbers are being reported.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Gqcolorado wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:53 am So we are all pretty much numb to the ‘numbers’ at this point?

Critical cases up ~20% last two days.

I’m actually curious where hospital numbers are in ‘hot spots’.

Also very happy mortality rate is much much less than it was during initial phase. Skeptical if that is bc of what demographic is being infected, or how the numbers are being reported.
I think the biggest factor is increased testing. A lot more asymptomatic people or with mild symptoms getting tested than before pushes the mortality rate down. I also think that it might be somewhat attenuated now compared to before, but I haven't seen any data for that, just a hunch based on the data I'm seeing and how pathogens tend to evolve. I also wonder about infectious dose. It's possible that because of social distancing, masks, etc. The average inoculum for an infected person is lower and as a result symptoms may be less severe. There was a lot of talk early about healthcare workers having higher mortality rates was because the viral load they were exposed to was likely so high. Haven't heard any follow ups on that.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:33 pm All the US could control is how we handled it. And there are Extremely poor districts surrounding Mumbai that handled the pandemic far better than Trump’s executive branch. I now know six people who have caught it and three have died. “Statistically insignificant” a right wing co-worker called it in April. It is a shocking return to Bronze Age pandemic management.
But even that's not true. This administration gutted DEEP STATE functions that would have alerted us much sooner to the virus, and put US boots on the ground in China to contain it there.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Or heck.

Even without sending US boots to China, I think so much of this mess could have been avoided if we had an administration that - wait for it - control of the borders.

Like for real how hard would it have been to, back in January, just say “any international traveler entering the country has to quarantine until they pass a test.”

Okay maybe that would be hard, but still not as hard as six figure death numbers and tens of millions out of work.