COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
Geezer

COVID-19 numbers

Post by Geezer »

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Good source and constantly updated.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by jfish26 »

Not looking forward to the freakout over what will be several days of skyrocketing U.S. figures - that's anticipated exponential growth, supercharged by normalization of testing.
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

Italy with a new death on average every 2 minutes.
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:00 pm Not looking forward to the freakout over what will be several days of skyrocketing U.S. figures - that's anticipated exponential growth, supercharged by normalization of testing.
I wonder if the US would ever release the suspected numbers. Many think there are 10x the actual infections out there, but without testing, we will never know.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Geezer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:56 pm https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Good source and constantly updated.

Good source. Thanks for posting
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

"numbers"?

Although data are limited early in the COVID-19 outbreak, presentations of the illness have ranged from asymptomatic/mild symptoms to severe illness and mortality. Symptoms may include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Other symptoms, such as malaise and respiratory distress, have also been described.

Symptoms may develop 2 days to 2 weeks following exposure to the virus. A pooled analysis of 181 confirmed cases of COVID-19 outside Wuhan, China, found the mean incubation period to be 5.1 days and that 97.5% of individuals who developed symptoms did so within 11.5 days of infection.

Wu et al reported that, among 72,314 COVID-19 cases reported to the Chinese Center for disease Control and Prevention (CCDC), 81% were mild (absent or mild pneumonia), 14% were severe (hypoxia, dyspnea, >50% lung involvement within 24-48 hours), 5% were critical (shock, respiratory failure, multiorgan dysfunction), and 2.3% were fatal.

In China, the case-fatality rate was found to range from 5.8% in Wuhan to 0.7% in the rest of China. In most cases, fatality occurs in patients who are older or who have underlying health conditions (eg, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, chronic pulmonary disease, cancer, hypertension).
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Vega wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:03 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:00 pm Not looking forward to the freakout over what will be several days of skyrocketing U.S. figures - that's anticipated exponential growth, supercharged by normalization of testing.
I wonder if the US would ever release the suspected numbers. Many think there are 10x the actual infections out there, but without testing, we will never know.
This. But it's not really a thing of would they release the numbers, but more a question of could they. There is no way to guess how many people are infected that haven't been tested. In Bismarck here, they aren't testing unless you're actually experiencing symptoms or have come in direct contact with someone who has tested positive. Even then, the most severe symptoms get the test. If you've come in contact, and aren't showing symptoms, they won't even test you and just tell you to isolate for 7 days.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Kansas has 100 tests left. None for Johnson Co. unless you are admitted and the attending physician requests it.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Only 6000 cases behind China.
USA USA
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:24 am Only 6000 cases behind China.
USA USA
You getting paid?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

Look at the shape of the US curve in the first graph compared to the rest. We're the only ones where the curve is tending left instead of maintaining the trajectory of curving right. In fact we were doing quite well until the first 12-13 days after the first 10 deaths.......then something (did not) happen(ed). Scroll down and look at the shape of NY, CA and WA curves. Scary!

Or, it's all a hoax :(
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

zsn wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:26 pm https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

Look at the shape of the US curve in the first graph compared to the rest. We're the only ones where the curve is tending left instead of maintaining the trajectory of curving right. In fact we were doing quite well until the first 12-13 days after the first 10 deaths.......then something (did not) happen(ed). Scroll down and look at the shape of NY, CA and WA curves. Scary!

I think this has more to do with testing.

There weren't enough tests in those first 12 days, and then there was increased testing. I don't think that reflects the actual spread. I think our curve is probably the same, it's just we weren't testing, and then we were, while everyone else was testing the whole time.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:37 pm

There weren't enough tests in those first 12 days, and then there was increased testing. I don't think that reflects the actual spread. I think our curve is probably the same, it's just we weren't testing, and then we were, while everyone else was testing the whole time.
The graph I am talking about is the first one on the page - it's cumulative deaths plotted vs. time since 10th death. Testing got nothing to do with number of deaths...it's about as objective a number as one can find. The US death rate changed for the worse, while Japan and S. Korea got much better. Others are either staying the same or getting (slightly) better.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

zsn wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:44 pm

The graph I am talking about is the first one on the page - it's cumulative deaths plotted vs. time since 10th death. Testing got nothing to do with number of deaths...it's about as objective a number as one can find. The US death rate changed for the worse, while Japan and S. Korea got much better. Others are either staying the same or getting (slightly) better.
ah, sorry, misread.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:44 pm

That's only true if you believe that we have cataloged all deaths from the virus since spread began in January. And that's manifestly NOT the case.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, some other countries were testing postmortem. Given how early testing was in the US, it's hard to think that that was happening.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas