COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:57 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:48 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 pm i think it’s fair bet that the chinese haven't been entirely transparent...their not allowing international experts in originally is proof enough for me

presuming that, had they been transparent, the US response would’ve been substantially different is a whole other story
They were far worse than not transparent. They actively and purposefully hid data, arrested whistleblowers, manipulated the WHO, and falsified information about the virus -- and that's just the stuff that can be proven with no effort at all.

And yes, that is a separate and distinct question from whether or not we were properly prepared or took the early warnings seriously.
So kinda how we are artificially keeping numbers down by refusing to test people who have been sick or have died?
No, you sorry sack o' shit.

Jeebus.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Wow.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Want to see the true potential impact of ignoring social distancing? Through a partnership with <a href="https://twitter.com/xmodesocial?ref_src ... esocial</a>, we analyzed secondary locations of anonymized mobile devices that were active at a single Ft. Lauderdale beach during spring break. This is where they went across the US: <a href="https://t.co/3A3ePn9Vin">pic.twitter.co ... </p>&mdash; Tectonix GEO (@TectonixGEO) <a href="https://twitter.com/TectonixGEO/status/ ... tfw">March 25, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Saw that elsewhere--takes awhile, but pretty amazing...and scary.

Neighbors on a walk this morning said that visitors had turned around the "Beach is Closed" sign and a whole group of them with their towels and toys were headed there.
Don't inject Lysol.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

State wide Kansas shut down starting Monday lasting at least 3 weeks.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

A messages from Waititi, Bowie and Rilke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfL5V3WHhqM
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:30 am State wide Kansas shut down starting Monday lasting at least 3 weeks.
Everybody get out and spread the love while you can.

When they announced restaurant shutdowns here they said closing at 5pm. Lots of people out to lunch that day.
Defense. Rebounds.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

japhy wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:00 pm A messages from Waititi, Bowie and Rilke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfL5V3WHhqM
That was a really good movie. Sam Rockwell should’ve gotten an Oscar for his role.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

This thing is still doubling every three days (or less) despite the shelter in place measures. Time to lockdown harder.
Just Ledoux it
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I had one trim carpenter bail on the job tonight, and one who will work if he's the only one on site. I have electricians installing lights and switches/plugs tomorrow and cabinet guys working there at the same time. I show up daily for about 5 minutes with an N99 mask and neoprene gloves. My client, who lives next door to the house I'm building for her has left the decision up to the workers and has told me she totally understands if no one wants/feels safe to work. She's an angel.

Meanwhile, I'm using this time to build a 200 sq ft storage shed.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

defixione wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:17 pm I had one trim carpenter bail on the job tonight, and one who will work if he's the only one on site. I have electricians installing lights and switches/plugs tomorrow and cabinet guys working there at the same time. I show up daily for about 5 minutes with an N99 mask and neoprene gloves. My client, who lives next door to the house I'm building for her has left the decision up to the workers and has told me she totally understands if no one wants/feels safe to work. She's an angel.
#karma
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

defixione wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:17 pm I had one trim carpenter bail on the job tonight, and one who will work if he's the only one on site. I have electricians installing lights and switches/plugs tomorrow and cabinet guys working there at the same time. I show up daily for about 5 minutes with an N99 mask and neoprene gloves. My client, who lives next door to the house I'm building for her has left the decision up to the workers and has told me she totally understands if no one wants/feels safe to work. She's an angel.

Just confirming what I think we already knew; rough carpenters are essential, trim carpenters not so much.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

japhy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 am

Just confirming what I think we already knew; rough carpenters are essential, trim carpenters not so much.
Trim carpenters generally have the stinkiest attitudes, too.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

defixione wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:42 am
japhy wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 am

Trim carpenters generally have the stinkiest attitudes, too.
Second only to electricians....
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'd be interesting in understanding the assumptions that went into this.

www.covid19.healthdata.org
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

defixione wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:42 am Trim carpenters generally have the stinkiest attitudes, too.
I have always considered the masons the worst. No other trade starts every discussion with, " I have been doing this for 30 years and I never...."

The conversations usually ended with me saying, "Good news, you are going to do one job the right way before you retire, this one is it; or you can leave the job site."
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:28 am I'd be interesting in understanding the assumptions that went into this.

Link isn’t working for me.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Vega wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:36 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:28 am I'd be interesting in understanding the assumptions that went into this.

Link isn’t working for me.
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Just delete the "www."
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

http://covid19.healthdata.org
Updated Link.

https://covid19.healthdata.org

April 15 peak date is the most ambitious thing I've heard. The uneven responses and acceleration seem like this thing still has a ways to go. My company was talking about this going into July this morning.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

While obviously we are most concerned what is happening in the US, I have to wonder what the fuck happened in Italy, Spain, and a lot of Europe. Those numbers are staggering.