COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Gqcolorado wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:27 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 pm
Gqcolorado wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:14 pm Probably no one doubts that China has suppressed numbers. Had they reported correctly, our government would have better prepared for the inevitable spread to the US, right, because our experts only respond to the actual numbers China reports.

Fuck that deflection nonsense.
the bolded is utter bs

“we” got caught with our pants down, period

we were never going to be prepared, and still aren’t even though the reality is right in front of us
agree. the (,right,) was suppose to indicate what your reply said.
oh i know...wasn’t trying to call you out or anything
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

lulz @v geezer still running interference for the CCP.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i think it’s fair bet that the chinese haven't been entirely transparent...their not allowing international experts in originally is proof enough for me

presuming that, had they been transparent, the US response would’ve been substantially different is a whole other story
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 pm i think it’s fair bet that the chinese haven't been entirely transparent...their not allowing international experts in originally is proof enough for me

presuming that, had they been transparent, the US response would’ve been substantially different is a whole other story
They were far worse than not transparent. They actively and purposefully hid data, arrested whistleblowers, manipulated the WHO, and falsified information about the virus -- and that's just the stuff that can be proven with no effort at all.

And yes, that is a separate and distinct question from whether or not we were properly prepared or took the early warnings seriously.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

268 reported deaths yesterday in US. If Ms. Owen's numbers are correct, then that means that 3.6% of deaths in America are due to COVID-19.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:48 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:36 pm i think it’s fair bet that the chinese haven't been entirely transparent...their not allowing international experts in originally is proof enough for me

They were far worse than not transparent. They actively and purposefully hid data, arrested whistleblowers, manipulated the WHO, and falsified information about the virus -- and that's just the stuff that can be proven with no effort at all.

And yes, that is a separate and distinct question from whether or not we were properly prepared or took the early warnings seriously.
So kinda how we are artificially keeping numbers down by refusing to test people who have been sick or have died?
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:57 am

So kinda how we are artificially keeping numbers down by refusing to test people who have been sick or have died?
As long as you all (all of us) are arguing the semantics from home, It’s about all the average schmuck can do, so keep on keepin on.
Deleted User 307

About 1,000 deaths in Italy on Friday.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Vega wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:58 am 268 reported deaths yesterday in US. If Ms. Owen's numbers are correct, then that means that 3.6% of deaths in America are due to COVID-19.
What her numbers really mean are,
A. We don't take the threat of infectious diseases seriously enough prior to this
B. We've been really lucky in the past with things like H1N1

Every time I hear someone try to downplay it by comparing it to the flu, I'm like, yeah, the flu is really fucking bad, it kills half a million people every year, and that's in years when the vaccine is really good. This is significantly worse and there's no vaccine and no treatement.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 307

Fun fact, I got H1N1 at KU. My classmate was like person #3 to be diagnosed at KU for it (there were hundreds), and we were in the middle of a massive project together before and after she was diagnosed.

That one hit me hard.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Gqcolorado wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:12 am

As long as you all (all of us) are arguing the semantics from home, It’s about all the average schmuck can do, so keep on keepin on.
Yep, havent left the house for anything other than a walk around the block in a days now. One trip to Target and one trip to the grocery store are the only times I have been in a car in a week.

As bug as the official numbers are, it does make me wonder what the real numbers are.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:40 pm
Yep, havent left the house for anything other than a walk around the block in a days now. One trip to Target and one trip to the grocery store are the only times I have been in a car in a week.

As bug as the official numbers are, it does make me wonder what the real numbers are.
The good news, as it were, is that if you've pretty aggressively shut things down for a week or more, you're past the point where you'd expect to show symptoms. Of course there are exceptions (and those tend to be publicized!), but the math is in your favor.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:03 pm

The good news, as it were, is that if you've pretty aggressively shut things down for a week or more, you're past the point where you'd expect to show symptoms. Of course there are exceptions (and those tend to be publicized!), but the math is in your favor.
My guess is less than 30% the people who will get it haven't gotten it yet. I sure hope I'm wrong.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Grandma wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:48 pm

My guess is less than 30% the people who will get it haven't gotten it yet. I sure hope I'm wrong.
That's actually a very optimistic number.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

But the clock re-sets every time you have to run to the grocery store, or any other trip out.

defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

^^^^^
And that is the creepiest thing about this virus.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:52 pm

But the clock re-sets every time you have to run to the grocery store, or any other trip out.
The clock resets, yes, but the likelihood is significantly less than when you were just going about your days as normal.