Finding New Shit on TV

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Finding New Shit on TV

Post by TDub »

those are all good but most of them are what? early to mid 90s?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:28 am True Grit remake was good.
I enjoyed 3:10 to Yuma.
Tombstone is a classic.

If The Revenant is a Western then put that in there too.
true grit remake was good

310 to Yuma was....passable (also a remake).

Tombstone is fucking awesome, one of my favorite movies ever made....but 1993.

I really didn't like Revenant. The real story of Hugh Glass is insane, but I didn't love the movie. In fact, that's the last movie I saw in theaters (not counting kids movies....) and I fell asleep.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

definite yes to unforgiven...1992
I liked open range quite a bit too, 2003....still 21 years old (which, is insane, and I can't wrap my head around that being 21 years ago).
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I loved the Revenant.
Top of the line filmmaking.
I dunno if I’d consider it a Western.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I dont know why I didn't like it, it's really right down the line of my style. Maybe I need to watch it again.

not sure its a western either though
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

but neither is Jeremiah Johnson really but it shows up as a western, and I love that movie

theyre a sub genres of western maybe, I suppose.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It’s a bit artsy.
Theres not a lot of dialogue.
I just liked the expansive nature. All natural shot. Very tough on the cameras.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

yeah and I'm usually good with all of that, lots of movies I like there isn't a tong of talking....or action necessarily. I need to try it again.

I prefer a quiet film like, Jeremiah Johnson or Lonesome Dove, for instance, as opposed to a ridiculously action filled out of control show like John Wick.

There's a time and place for both but, I tend to favor the simpler ones.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:34 am i think Unforgiven was probably the last really good one made

Bone Tomahawk wasn’t too bad, but the story was just a little out there

The English was pretty good (but i’m an Emily Blunt fan)
"you just shot an unarmed man!"

"maybe he should've armed himself if he was gonna decorate his bar with my friend"

awesome.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I just started watching “The Outsider” limited series from HBO again.

Holy fuck, what a Stephen King story.

Highly recommended
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

True Detective Season 4 spoilers.

Kind of a letdown ending. Shitty police work initially didn’t reveal more about what actually happened? Some cleaning ladies found a secret tunnel but the police didn’t? Supernatural stuff just totally unrelated? What exactly did the scientists find? Why did the reindeer kill themselves episode 1? What was the point of that symbol really? Eh. I liked it just didn’t like the ending.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:34 pm True Detective Season 4 spoilers.

Kind of a letdown ending. Shitty police work initially didn’t reveal more about what actually happened? Some cleaning ladies found a secret tunnel but the police didn’t? Supernatural stuff just totally unrelated? What exactly did the scientists find? Why did the reindeer kill themselves episode 1? What was the point of that symbol really? Eh. I liked it just didn’t like the ending.
Spoilers continue.

I agree. It was a little like the show couldn’t decide what it is - I thought maybe the “Night Country” tagline maybe was meant to set this season apart and have the supernatural stuff be “real.”

But instead this season was like a short-run Lost - it did all of the mystery-box things, without payoff.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I thought the characters were captivating enough. Jodie Foster is strong actress. The actress who played Navarro was excellent - except when the writing put her in this weird state they kinda just gave up on.

I guess I wouldn't have minded the ambiguity on the supernatural if they had wrapped up things that were in reality in a better bow. Maybe give the supernatural more of a purpose instead of just staring there mouth agape pointing at things and rolling oranges? Maybe link what the scientists were researching ( aka what did they actually find?! ) to the supernatural? Something.

Also, the 'time is a flat circle' reference was weak sauce. Don't force that especially with barely any context.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:06 am I thought the characters were captivating enough. Jodie Foster is strong actress. The actress who played Navarro was excellent - except when the writing put her in this weird state they kinda just gave up on.

I guess I wouldn't have minded the ambiguity on the supernatural if they had wrapped up things that were in reality in a better bow. Maybe give the supernatural more of a purpose instead of just staring there mouth agape pointing at things and rolling oranges? Maybe link what the scientists were researching ( aka what did they actually find?! ) to the supernatural? Something.

Also, the 'time is a flat circle' reference was weak sauce. Don't force that especially with barely any context.
Agree on all. I liked - FARGO SPOILERS - how Fargo was a bit cheekier about the whole supernatural stuff.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

on the whole. the fargos are a better watching experience than the true detectives.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

True Detective Season 1 >>>>> Fargo.
Though i've only seen the first season of Fargo.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think Fargo is much better. The very dark humor is a welcome balance to the cray.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Obviously, True Detective Season 1 was one of the best seasons of any show, ever.
Season 2 was a turd.
Season 3 and 4 were both captivating, but the endings were off.
Season 3, the ending just DRAGGED along.
Season 4, it seemed like they just cramped it up to be done.

Every season of Fargo was really good, in my opinion. A big part of that for me was identifying the antagonists early on.
Billy Bob nailed the Malvo character.
The KC/Minnesota mob connection in season 2 was great, and the 3 separate plot lines was fun.
Varga was an awesome character in season 3.
Season 4 was cool because it shone light on the italian vs. blacks gangs fighting for control of KC.
Also, revealing a young Mike Milligan to be given his name sake.

I haven't seen any of season 5 yet. I hope it continues to create the links to other eras of the story as well.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it's not a knock on true detective. most shows are not as consistently good as fargo.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think 2 gets a lot more heat than it should but it's the worst of em easily.
3 is underrated.

I agree that with 4 they could have extended out to another episode or two instead of the last one being just an extra 15 minutes.

1 is one of the best TV seasons ever made.