Finding New Shit on TV

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Finding New Shit on TV

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:46 pm I think 2 gets a lot more heat than it should but it's the worst of em easily.
3 is underrated.

I agree that with 4 they could have extended out to another episode or two instead of the last one being just an extra 15 minutes.

1 is one of the best TV seasons ever made.
EXTRA MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR TRUE DETECTIVE FOLLOW

From reading some things, it is apparent that S4 was connected to S1 in a LOT of ways I didn't pick up. Wonder if I would have enjoyed S4 more, or less, if I'd more recently watched or rewatched S1.

Guess I could also go back and rewatch S1 now.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:45 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:46 pm I think 2 gets a lot more heat than it should but it's the worst of em easily.
3 is underrated.

I agree that with 4 they could have extended out to another episode or two instead of the last one being just an extra 15 minutes.

From reading some things, it is apparent that S4 was connected to S1 in a LOT of ways I didn't pick up. Wonder if I would have enjoyed S4 more, or less, if I'd more recently watched or rewatched S1.

The connections were there, but flimsy.
Apparently, Rust Cohles father was murdered or aided in death by Rose.
There was mention of his death in Alaska in Season 1.

The "flat circle" symbolism of Nietzsche's view of eternal recurrence plays heavily into season 1, and really only surfaced in the last 2 episodes of season 4.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:57 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:45 pm
3 is underrated.

The connections were there, but flimsy.
Apparently, Rust Cohles father was murdered or aided in death by Rose.
There was mention of his death in Alaska in Season 1.

The "flat circle" symbolism of Nietzsche's view of eternal recurrence plays heavily into season 1, and really only surfaced in the last 2 episodes of season 4.
But that's not all!

(spoilers)

The spiral symbol. The powerful Tuttle family. Etc.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

What I DO NOT want is season 5 to keep leaning into the lore.
I don't need to have what was supposed to be a standalone series be dragged to death and extended out to milk it for all it's worth.
Just create a new story - we good.

I didn't watch Rings of Power or House of Dragons.
Those stories have been told, let it be.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Under/over months Undisputed and Skip are still a thing set at 5.5.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Taylor Tomlinson is funny.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

might have to give Shogun a go (FX/Hulu)

previews look good, with a decent cast
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:44 pm might have to give Shogun a go (FX/Hulu)

didn’t make it halfway through the first episode

if you’re gonna halve a boat load of subtitles, you’ve gotta mix some action in…i don’t watch a movie or tv show to read
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:47 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:44 pm might have to give Shogun a go (FX/Hulu)

if you’re gonna halve a boat load of subtitles, you’ve gotta mix some action in…i don’t watch a movie or tv show to read
I guess I'm getting old, but I don't watch TV without subtitles anymore, even in English, I just like them on now.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:02 am

I guess I'm getting old, but I don't watch TV without subtitles anymore, even in English, I just like them on now.
in some situations it doesn’t bother me as much (City of God is one of my favorites, and it’s all subtitles)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:05 am

in some situations it doesn’t bother me as much (City of God is one of my favorites, and it’s all subtitles)
I should clarify, I don't love watching shows in foreign languages and only reading subtitles....
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Any show that I really want to hear I just watch in my basement where I can turn it up as loud as I need to hear it. I really get distracted by subtitles.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It isn't just age.
It's a major issue with the change in direction of sound mixing.
You need a high end sound bar to get what the director/producers/film crew are basing things on.

Your macbook pro's speakers are not what they care about.

I'd imagine in the future AI will tackle this -- you'll input your entire sound mix into a machine -- it'll determine the best spectrums for all sorts of mediums -- and bada bing/bada boom, you'll have sound catered to your device.

Sound editors and mixers will loose their jobs but who cares.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:39 am

It isn't just age.
It's a major issue with the change in direction of sound mixing.
You need a high end sound bar to get what the director/producers/film crew are basing things on.

Your macbook pro's speakers are not what they care about.

I'd imagine in the future AI will tackle this -- you'll input your entire sound mix into a machine -- it'll determine the best spectrums for all sorts of mediums -- and bada bing/bada boom, you'll have sound catered to your device.

Sound editors and mixers will loose their jobs but who cares.
you mean my 15 year old TV isn't high end for sound? dammit. well, there goes my bragging rights.

I guess that makes me feel better, I figured I was just losing my hearing.....

I'm pretty sure I am though, but, such is life.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Watching Casablanca for the umpteenth time tonight. Still great.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:17 pm Watching Casablanca for the umpteenth time tonight. Still great.
What does Claude Rains throw into the trash at the end of the movie?
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I shoulda noticed. Arrest warrants?
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:03 pm I shoulda noticed. Arrest warrants?
A Vichy water bottle. (Apparently it's a common trivia question.) The Vichy were considered capitulators to the Nazis.

What is the significance of Vichy water in Casablanca?

Technically, Vichy was neutral in the war, but they basically danced to the Germans' tune…and because they controlled Casablanca and other French colonies, we can see that playing out in the film. In direct terms, Renault's dumping his Vichy water signals that he's no longer willing to be the puppet.
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 pm
A Vichy water bottle. (Apparently it's a common trivia question.) The Vichy were considered capitulators to the Nazis.

Technically, Vichy was neutral in the war, but they basically danced to the Germans' tune…and because they controlled Casablanca and other French colonies, we can see that playing out in the film. In direct terms, Renault's dumping his Vichy water signals that he's no longer willing to be the puppet.
I got that from the ending. Renault was now all in with the Allies. The beautiful friendship line is the best. I would like to see a movie of Rick and Renault later in the war.

Speaking of French tunes, the La Marseillaise gives me the goosebumps every time.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:57 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 pm

I got that from the ending. Renault was now all in with the Allies. The beautiful friendship line is the best. I would like to see a movie of Rick and Renault later in the war.

Speaking of French tunes, the La Marseillaise gives me the goosebumps every time.
It's a great movie. One of the few I can watch over and over.
Anand Giridharadas