The Worst People in the World...

Coffee talk.
chiknbut

Re: The Worst People in the World...

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 am Wouldn't it be cool if we figured out how to invest all of the energy being used to point fingers and position for power grabs into solving the myriad day-to-day problems that are making life a mess right now?
I figure that pointing out all the terrible people contributing to the unprecedented level of misinformation on social media is providing a bit of help. And it really doesn't take that much energy. Especially when it's an attempt to entertain people.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:00 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:46 am Wouldn't it be cool if we figured out how to invest all of the energy being used to point fingers and position for power grabs into solving the myriad day-to-day problems that are making life a mess right now?
I figure that pointing out all the terrible people contributing to the unprecedented level of misinformation on social media is providing a bit of help. And it really doesn't take that much energy. Especially when it's an attempt to entertain people.
At times like these, I'm reminded of the ol' chestnut from the great moral philosopher Maya Angelou -- "when people show you who they are, believe them."

A LOT of people are showing us who they are right now -- good and bad. And we have an obligation to believe them and to remember it.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Then the military can fly their helicopters close to the ground. That will scatter the christians.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 307

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:13 pm Then the military can fly their helicopters close to the ground. That will scatter the christians.
Including stampedes and hundreds of deaths.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I should’ve posted about GE workers striking to start manufacturing ventilators and other needed equipment.

Why aren’t more corporations stepping up just cuz it’s so obviously the right thing to do? Do they really need somebody else to tell them?

We’re the richest economy in the history of the golden calf, yet we can’t, or won’t, afford the basic shit needed during a pandemic.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:04 pm
At times like these, I'm reminded of the ol' chestnut from the great moral philosopher Maya Angelou -- "when people show you who they are, believe them."

A LOT of people are showing us who they are right now -- good and bad. And we have an obligation to believe them and to remember it.
I can't tell you how many times I've used that phrase in the last month.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

I get that. It just makes me sad that even something of this magnitude can't shake the "destruction-as-sport" fascination from our collective zeitgeist. And I am speaking of both sides of the equation, not just singling you out.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 pm
We’re the richest economy in the history of the golden calf, yet we can’t, or won’t, afford the basic shit needed during a pandemic.
I mean...lulz, Trump.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 307

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 pm Why aren’t more corporations stepping up just cuz it’s so obviously the right thing to do? Do they really need somebody else to tell them?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 pm I should’ve posted about GE workers striking to start manufacturing ventilators and other needed equipment.

Why aren’t more corporations stepping up just cuz it’s so obviously the right thing to do? Do they really need somebody else to tell them?

I heard on NPR this weekend about the voice mail the CEO of Kroger Foods left all employees who were laid off that they would be receiving gift certificates good for $25 in groceries.

Didn't go over very well.
Deleted User 307

Lol, a $25 gift card is severance now-a-days?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Vega wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 pm Lol, a $25 gift card is severance now-a-days?
In a way I get it. The majority of the jobs at Kroger (in Chicago they are Mariano's) aren't exactly glamorous. My daughter worked there for a summer and when she wasn't stocking shelves or bagging groceries she was doing someone else's job who was either too lazy or too incompetent. HR knows who they are hiring.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think it was a bonus to all employees. Why would Kroger be laying anyone off right now? They're hiring more employees.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 307

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:39 pm I think it was a bonus to all employees. Why would Kroger be laying anyone off right now? They're hiring more employees.
Looking online, it looks like it might have been in lieu of offering sick pay to those sick, or might be sick with CV.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/12 ... 1997519873
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Vega wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:39 pm I think it was a bonus to all employees. Why would Kroger be laying anyone off right now? They're hiring more employees.
Looking online, it looks like it might have been in lieu of offering sick pay to those sick, or might be sick with CV.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/12 ... 1997519873
Thank you for the correction.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

No. It looks like two sepearate issues. $25 is just a bonus for all employees.

Helping hands fund project is different and is related to health care.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

I agree. The Wal-Marts and Kroeger/Dillons around here are all in desperate need of employees to keep up with demand. It is actually a good time to be in the grocery business.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Vega wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:28 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 pm Why aren’t more corporations stepping up just cuz it’s so obviously the right thing to do? Do they really need somebody else to tell them?
I mean, this whole emergency does seem to illustrate how morally bankrupt Merica is/has become.