Wake Fires Manning

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Wake Fires Manning

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The "you should ask for a buyout we can afford" requirement.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Beaty is kicking and screaming all over the place for $3M, wonder what a guy would do for 15.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It could simply be that Wake is kicking the can down the road and trying to work out a payout schedule with Danny. As soon as he gets another job, setoff will come in.

What a bad time to fire a coach, especially one w/ a huge buyout. Especially at a school with a low budget athletic dept.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Probably the same argument KU is essentially making with Beaty: "You sucked and we fired you for sucking. Go suck somewhere else."
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

That might be Jeff Long's inner feeling, but it's certainly not KU's public stance and legal argument.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Not that it's really anything of relevance, but Wake hired Steve Forbes from ETSU.

They came to AFH last year and put up a fight. And he's a damn good coach. He should do well there.

But I agree with CnB. Wake probably waiting until he finds a job and they'll settle payout then.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

A LOT of factors involved here.
As someone else alluded to, what was the "criteria" he did not meet?
What was his actual salary and what was his supplemental compensation?
How do any of us know what is in the buyout clause?
Does it state that if he gets another job they don't have to pay him?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:10 am Not that it's really anything of relevance, but Wake hired Steve Forbes from ETSU.

They came to AFH last year and put up a fight. And he's a damn good coach. He should do well there.

But I agree with CnB. Wake probably waiting until he finds a job and they'll settle payout then.
I knew I recognized the name, I think I met Forbes when he was at Barton.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah he's kind of been around. Assistant at places like A&M with Billy Clyde and Tennessee with Pearl. Made his way up the ladder, then the Pearl stuff at Tennessee happened, now working back up again. But Kansas is a familiar place to him. Coached at Barton and then was under Marshall at WSU during their run from 2013-2015 before going to ETSU.

I saw his winning percentage as a head coach at JUCO and ETSU is something like 78%. Pretty damn good. If you can coach, you can coach, doesn't matter the level. Still only like 55 years old I think. He'll be at a bigger program within 5 years or so if I had a guess.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:17 am If you can coach, you can coach, doesn't matter the level. Still only like 55 years old I think. He'll be at a bigger program within 5 years or so if I had a guess.
Well, the reason why Power 5 chews up and spits out a lot of good basketball coaches is because of high level recruiting and politics. So, verdict still out on that with Forbes.
Deleted User 289

As it stands at this moment, an unemployed Danny Manning is owed 15 million dollars from Wake Forest University. No matter how you slice it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 10:18 am As it stands at this moment, an unemployed Danny Manning is owed 15 million dollars from Wake Forest University. No matter how you slice it.
Evidently, not according to Wake Forest.
Deleted User 289

There lies the problem. It's in Danny's contract. They owe him 15 million. Period.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:35 am A LOT of factors involved here.
As someone else alluded to, what was the "criteria" he did not meet?
What was his actual salary and what was his supplemental compensation?
How do any of us know what is in the buyout clause?
Does it state that if he gets another job they don't have to pay him?
Evidently, they do not believe his contract says they owe him 15 million, period.
Deleted User 289

They can “believe” all they want. He’s owed 15 million.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't understand - how are we in a position to know that? If his contract says he's not owed the money under certain conditions, and those conditions have been tripped, then he's not owed the money?
Deleted User 289

At the risk of setting of my Jeeper signal, I’ll simply say I’m in a position to know. Of course I agree with you 100% that if the contract states he’s not owed money under certain conditions, and those conditions have been tripped, then he’s not owed that money.
From what I was told, I don’t believe that to be the case. I haven’t seen the actual contract so I can’t say for 100% certainty that the are or are not such clauses but I was simply told Wake owes him 15 million. Don’t know much more than that.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Grandma wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:14 pm At the risk of setting of my Jeeper signal, I’ll simply say I’m in a position to know. Of course I agree with you 100% that if the contract states he’s not owed money under certain conditions, and those conditions have been tripped, then he’s not owed that money.
From what I was told, I don’t believe that to be the case. I haven’t seen the actual contract so I can’t say for 100% certainty that the are or are not such clauses but I was simply told Wake owes him 15 million. Don’t know much more than that.
God damnit you’re an idiot
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

You guys forget that Danny and Gutter are old friends. They have definitely talked about this contract before, so he would know. At the very least, a good friend of Gutter's works for the Wake athletic department. We'll get the details soon in some pointless "look who I hang out with" post.
Deleted User 289

NDballer13 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:36 pm You guys forget that Danny and Gutter are old friends. They have definitely talked about this contract before, so he would know. At the very least, a good friend of Gutter's works for the Wake athletic department. We'll get the details soon in some pointless "look who I hang out with" post.
Go ahead a be a dick if it appeases you. Has ZERO to do with my relationship with Danny.
Sorry you have a problem with me having friendships/relationships with other people - and my stating it.