George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:51 pm
twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:37 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:30 pm

I’d say that’s a bit extreme, but that would be a gross understatement.
Police officers killing people who shouldn't have been killed in that situation is one of the most extreme issues facing the health of this nation.
There are misfits and malcontents and misanthropes in lots of professions. I’m not sure that means that LEO’s are sociopaths intent on purifying the gene pool.
Go try to convince a young black male of that.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:13 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:05 pm
Police officers killing people who shouldn't have been killed in that situation is one of the most extreme issues facing the health of this nation.
If you believe that, then you should be a happy little Trumper.

The trend-line in this country of unarmed people being killed by police is moving significantly in the right direction.

In 2015, 218 unarmed Americans were killed by police (out of a population of 320 million people).

In 2019, 114 unarmed Americans were killed by police (out of a population of 328 million people).

In fact, if you want to make this a partisan thing -- which I'll admit is a stupid idea -- all three years of the Trump presidency have had below trend-line number of unarmed people by police (140,112,114).

It is natural to presume that when we see an officer commit a heinous act that such acts are endemic. But not only are they not endemic, the data suggests that they are slowly but surely becoming LESS prevalent.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/nationaltrends
I don't care that it is declining. I care that it hasn't declined to zero, which is the only acceptable number of these incidents that should happen.
Yes. And that's precisely why no one should take you seriously.

Or at least one of the reasons.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:16 pm
There are misfits and malcontents and misanthropes in lots of professions. I’m not sure that means that LEO’s are sociopaths intent on purifying the gene pool.
That's mostly because assholes like you are lying to them in pursuit of your own sad partisan ends.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:22 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:05 pm

If you believe that, then you should be a happy little Trumper.

The trend-line in this country of unarmed people being killed by police is moving significantly in the right direction.

In 2015, 218 unarmed Americans were killed by police (out of a population of 320 million people).

In 2019, 114 unarmed Americans were killed by police (out of a population of 328 million people).

In fact, if you want to make this a partisan thing -- which I'll admit is a stupid idea -- all three years of the Trump presidency have had below trend-line number of unarmed people by police (140,112,114).

It is natural to presume that when we see an officer commit a heinous act that such acts are endemic. But not only are they not endemic, the data suggests that they are slowly but surely becoming LESS prevalent.

https://mappingpoliceviolence.org/nationaltrends
I don't care that it is declining. I care that it hasn't declined to zero, which is the only acceptable number of these incidents that should happen.

Go ask a black person today whether it feels to them like this is getting better. I'll bet they tell you to shove your stats up your ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:16 pm

That's mostly because assholes like you are lying to them in pursuit of your own sad partisan ends.
And what "sad partisan ends" would I be pursuing in wishing that a black man felt nothing more than the same "ah, fuck, I can't afford a ticket right now" stomach lurch that I do when he sees a police car's lights flash in his rearview mirror?
Last edited by twocoach on Sat May 30, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

“When the looting starts, the shooting starts.”

-Your Racist POTUS, Donald Trump
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:31 pm

Go ask a black person today whether it feels to them like this is getting better. I'll bet they tell you to shove your stats up your ass.
Which is why your ideology is so fucking damaging.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

sdoyel wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:37 pm “When the looting starts, the shooting starts.”

-Your Racist POTUS, Donald Trump
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/non-sequitur?s=t
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Cult.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

lulz
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:41 pm

Seems to me that unnecessary killings of minorities by police officers is what's doing the damage but hey, you're the one with all the degrees.

The fact that wanting minorities to feel equal in the eyes of the law and law enforcement is considered by you a "fucking damaging ideology" is very unsettling and not surprising.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:41 pm
Seems to me that unnecessary killings of minorities by police officers is what's doing the damage but hey, you're the one with all the degrees.
Given that A.) the number is decreasing over time; B.) the number is NOT higher for blacks than it is for whites, when you account for the # of interactions with police (which is a whole 'nother can of worms); and C.) can be brought down significantly by better policing tactics that most urban PDs have begun implementing but which will take time to have their fullest impact; what this means is that when you rant mindlessly about "the system," when Seahawk rants mindlessly about Ronald Reagan, and when Doyel rants mindlessly about Trump, you are all needlessly stirring a partisan political pot for purposes other than addressing the issue at hand, which is, by and large outside of the realm of partisan politics.

If you really want to address the problem of unarmed, innocent black men being killed by police, then you should try to understand what happens, why it happens, and how best to address these, and you should stop wallowing in the righteous anger to which you have no right and support genuine solutions.

Once you've done that, I'll be happy to listen to you bitch about whatever else is on your mind.
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Sat May 30, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Twocoach the dirt devil.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

The fact that wanting minorities to feel equal in the eyes of the law and law enforcement is considered by you a "fucking damaging ideology" is very unsettling and not surprising.
Sorry. I responded before you edited.

So, fuck you, you prissy little cunt.

You are ignorant of the actual, factual information READILY available that describes the problems and solutions to the preponderance of police-involved deaths, and so you instinctively screech about other issues that support your weltanschauung. And when called on it you resort to screaming racism.

Fuck you.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:04 pm

You are ignorant of the actual, factual information READILY available that describes the problems and solutions to the preponderance of police-involved deaths, and so you instinctively screech about other issues that support your weltanschauung. And when called on it you resort to screaming racism.

Fuck you.
I know you are going to do what you are going to do but I am begging you to please stop saying fuck you to people on here. Even if they deserve it.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

There are helicopters flying over my building on the Plaza and we are on lockdown until 6:00 am. If we go out, we can’t get in with our entry card.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Leawood wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:30 pm There are helicopters flying over my building on the Plaza and we are on lockdown until 6:00 am. If we go out, we can’t get in with our entry card.
Hope you’re stocked up on liquor.

My office building downtown was damaged last night. More protests happening tonight as well...

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Given that A.) the number is decreasing over time; B.) the number is NOT higher for blacks than it is for whites, when you account for the # of interactions with police (which is a whole 'nother can of worms); and C.) can be brought down significantly by better policing tactics that most urban PDs have begun implementing but which will take time to have their fullest impact; what this means is that when you rant mindlessly about "the system," when Seahawk rants mindlessly about Ronald Reagan, and when Doyel rants mindlessly about Trump, you are all needlessly stirring a partisan political pot for purposes other than addressing the issue at hand, which is, by and large outside of the realm of partisan politics.

If you really want to address the problem of unarmed, innocent black men being killed by police, then you should try to understand what happens, why it happens, and how best to address these, and you should stop wallowing in the righteous anger to which you have no right and support genuine solutions.

Once you've done that, I'll be happy to listen to you bitch about whatever else is on your mind.
I am glad that some police forces have begun to reevaluate their procedures and retrain officers. I do not expect those changes to produce immediate results and it is encouraging to see that they are having some positive gains. But again, better training only helps those who are simply making mistakes driven by inadequate training. There are some who will choose to abuse their power that must still be rooted out.

And we must have more transparent processes in place to process complaints by the community about these abuses. When they reported this Minnesota officers precord or 15 complajnts that had zero disciinary a tions taken, it paints a picture of the worst possibility. If these reports were A) more publicly accessible and B) more transparent as to the findings and conclusions of the case then the responses may be less awful. I am fully aware that there are complaints made by pissed off criminals who want to put a dent in an officers armor out of spite but that can be categorized and recorded like any other conclusion.

When I see what I believe are genuine solutions, I happily support them. I loved the positive, encouraging message put out today by the Omaha Chief of Police during his press conference today. He openly encouraged people to come out and protest and said that the police would be there to help them safely have their voices heard.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Grandma wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:14 pm

Fuck you.
I know you are going to do what you are going to do but I am begging you to please stop saying fuck you to people on here. Even if they deserve it.
When a poster calls you a racist or when the site administrator says that have a long history of siding with and defending "people who kill other people," -- all because they're enjoying a fit of self-righteous partisan anger -- and you let it slide like water off the ol' duck's back, then maybe I'll take your advice.

Until then, well...you know.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Fuck you.
Roll out all the stats and info you want. Your point of view is filtered through your own knowledge and experience. Mine is filtered through my own. They differ. So it is.

Am I mentally simplistic in hoping that we reach the point where all citizens of our nation feel that they are viewed equally in the eyes of the law? Sure, I suppose so. But I don't think that is a problem. I have not chosen a career path that requires me to devise a plan to fix the problems. I will the best I can to fix the problem in any way that I can help, which is admittedly is pretty limited.

This isn't a think tank where we are writing government policy. This is a message board where we talk about how we feel about current events. If how I participate here is too low brow and ignorant for you then so be it. It doesn't bother me at all that someone who behaves like an asshole here feels that I am an asshole.

Again, I do not not believe that I have stated that the issue is exclusive to racism. I believe that I have been consistent that I have a problem with people in a position of authority abusing that position to dehumanize, terrorize and kill members of the community they are sworn to protect.

A police officer killing someone of any color who should not have been killed in that situation; a teacher, priest or influential adult abusing a child; a coach abusing an athlete or a medical professional abusing a patient. There are certain relationships where one person is given a position of power and it is vital to the heath of all of our communities that these relationships are not abused. The abuse of that power especially sickens me.

And what is it that you "called me on"? Or was it yet another one of those times where you implied a point without ever actually making a point so you can feel clever without having anything in print that can be called BS?
Last edited by twocoach on Sat May 30, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.