George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
twocoach

George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by twocoach »

I figure I'd give the conversation it's own standalone home here on the proper poli board.

Van Jones had an interesting statement on twitter last night that, as a parent, struck a chord for me:

"If you speak up and you're not heard, you might yell.
If you yell and you're not heard you might scream.
If you scream and you're not heard you might throw something.

This is the reaction to inaction for too long."

My kids sometimes ask me "why did you yell at me?" and my answer is always "because when I asked you to do it in my regular voice you either didn't hear me or you ignored me so I must need to say it louder and if you ignore me again I will say it again even louder but with much less polite words in my request." And despite the understanding of my scale of escalation, that level of escalation still becomes necessary. And sure enough, they inevitably looked shocked when that second level of escalation happens.

People didn't listen when Kaepernick silently took a knee. Instead, he was blackballed from his profession and received death threats. People didn't listen to any of the social media outrage and non-violent protests after any of the other dozens of cases similar to this. Instead, they just waited it out until the noise quieted down and then resumed their lives.

When are we going to listen? What level of escalation by the black community and by those who support it, is it going to take before their request to be treated equally is heard and real change happens?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by DCHawk1 »

You left out the part where Jones said white Hillary Clinton-supporting women are a bigger risk to black men than anyone else.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 am I figure I'd give the conversation it's own standalone home here on the proper poli board.

Van Jones had an interesting statement on twitter last night that, as a parent, struck a chord for me:

"If you speak up and you're not heard, you might yell.
If you yell and you're not heard you might scream.
If you scream and you're not heard you might throw something.

This is the reaction to inaction for too long."

My kids sometimes ask me "why did you yell at me?" and my answer is always "because when I asked you to do it in my regular voice you either didn't hear me or you ignored me so I must need to say it louder and if you ignore me again I will say it again even louder but with much less polite words in my request." And despite the understanding of my scale of escalation, that level of escalation still becomes necessary. And sure enough, they inevitably looked shocked when that second level of escalation happens.

People didn't listen when Kaepernick silently took a knee. Instead, he was blackballed from his profession and received death threats. People didn't listen to any of the social media outrage and non-violent protests after any of the other dozens of cases similar to this. Instead, they just waited it out until the noise quieted down and then resumed their lives.

When are we going to listen? What level of escalation by the black community and by those who support it, is it going to take before their request to be treated equally is heard and real change happens?
Inaction on what, exactly? Was the responsible officer not arrested? Are you advocating a Future Crimes Unit like in Minority Report?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Well that went exactly as I expected.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 am You left out the part where Jones said white Hillary Clinton-supporting women are a bigger risk to black men than anyone else.
Let me provide the full quote instead of your grossly misleading summary:

“It’s not the racist white person who is in the Ku Klux Klan that we have to worry about. It’s the white, liberal Hillary Clinton supporter walking her dog in Central Park who would tell you right now, 'Oh I don’t see race, race is no big deal to me, I see all people the same, I give to charities,’ but the minute she sees a black man who she does not respect, or who she has a slight thought against, she weaponized race like she had been trained by the Aryan Nation,” Jones said.

And he is right. Some normal liberal white woman who claims to see all colors the same but then proves otherwise with their actions can pose a more serious threat to an individual black person because people will be more inclined to believe their claim than someone who is an admitted racist. We can see and hear a KKK members disgusting bias; they make no attempt to hide it.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 am You left out the part where Jones said white Hillary Clinton-supporting women are a bigger risk to black men than anyone else.
Do you ever not deflect to some minutiae regarding something else the messenger may or may not have said or done, rather than address the underlying point?

We can reliably count on something akin to the “but his feet are wet” retort from you in response to someone walking on water
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:41 am
Do you ever not deflect to some minutiae regarding something else the messenger may or may not have said or done, rather than address the underlying point?

We can reliably count on something akin to the “but his feet are wet” retort from you in response to someone walking on water
Not in this case.

Appeals to authority devoid of any original thought can and should be met with appeals to authority. And it's only that much more fun if it's an appeal to the very same authority.

If Van Jones is so smart that Trumpers should STFU...well...then...you see?
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Sat May 30, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:08 am Well that went exactly as I expected.
meh
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:22 am

“It’s not the racist white person who is in the Ku Klux Klan that we have to worry about. It’s the white, liberal Hillary Clinton supporter walking her dog in Central Park who would tell you right now, 'Oh I don’t see race, race is no big deal to me, I see all people the same, I give to charities,’ but the minute she sees a black man who she does not respect, or who she has a slight thought against, she weaponized race like she had been trained by the Aryan Nation,” Jones said.

And he is right. Some normal liberal white woman who claims to see all colors the same but then proves otherwise with their actions can pose a more serious threat to an individual black person because people will be more inclined to believe their claim than someone who is an admitted racist. We can see and hear a KKK members disgusting bias; they make no attempt to hide it.
And?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:22 am

Frickin’ Karens!
Last edited by HouseDivided on Sat May 30, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

This thread is an example of why this cycle will not ever end in this country.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Because i posted a similar scenario?
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I thought the same thing as I began scrolling and reading down.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:41 am

Who's the new guy?
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:46 pm https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investi ... pa-s-life/

Similar situation
TDub wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:36 pm Because i posted a similar scenario?
Not every post is about you, either.

Heartbreaking story from Dallas. It said the "officer" had his knee in the guy's back for 13 minutes. 13 minutes.

smfh
Anand Giridharadas
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Your scenario doesn’t count because the victim was White, silly goose!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Feral wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:45 pm
TDub wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:46 pm https://www.dallasnews.com/news/investi ... pa-s-life/

Similar situation
Not every post is about you.
True. But he did post that immediately following my post so I was confused, which, seems is my normal state.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 am
This. The elephant in the room. Do you know who were calling for Kaepernick to be punched and worse? Someone said that the team owners should take drastic action against those who drew attention to the problem, but said nothing about the underlying problem.

Therein lies the problem.

Of course the DC's of the world will point to Kaepernick possibly smoking substances illegal in some States......or skipping some classes in college.........therefore his message is somehow illegitimate.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:40 pm
I thought the same thing as I began scrolling and reading down.
Me too!