Re: Top 3 in your city

Post by defixione »

Braum's coming to Lawrence.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
Obviously the list is flawed if Huntsville is # 2.
I've been there a couple times. Nope.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Where would you go in Larryville on a holiday weekend Saturday night.

Free State
Jefferon's
Dempsey's
Zen Zero
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For food?

Yes
Ban
Sure
Fine
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:32 am Top 3 pizza spots Portland ME, surrounding.

1. Leonardo's
2. Pat's
3. Lazarri

( now, most review places are gonna say spots like Flatbread, TIPO, Slab, Otto's, Micucci's - but I just don't like 'high end'/funky combo pizza spots OR neopolitan style pizza - give me lots of red sauce, good amount of cheese and a NY style slice )
Portnoy went to Portland and hit up Flatbread, Slab, Ottos and a newer spot, Monte’s, which id probably have 3rd on my list now. Montes got an 8.4.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Haven't scouted any pizza here yet. So far, the Mexican food is awful.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

pdub wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:25 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:32 am Top 3 pizza spots Portland ME, surrounding.

1. Leonardo's
2. Pat's
3. Lazarri

( now, most review places are gonna say spots like Flatbread, TIPO, Slab, Otto's, Micucci's - but I just don't like 'high end'/funky combo pizza spots OR neopolitan style pizza - give me lots of red sauce, good amount of cheese and a NY style slice )
Portnoy went to Portland and hit up Flatbread, Slab, Ottos and a newer spot, Monte’s, which id probably have 3rd on my list now. Montes got an 8.4.
Thin crust FTW!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Portnoy is as much of a pizza connoisseur as I am a toothpaste connoisseur.
Like me, he's really nothing more than just another schmuck with an opinion. The difference is people care what he says and actually take his advice - and he probably has a lot more money than me.

This kind of proves how clueless (and fake?) he is.
Watch his first three bites. JUST CHEESE / NO SAUCE.
P.S. It was NOT a car jacking. Big difference between a car jacking and someone stealing a car that was parked.
P.S.S. Devil Dawgs in the background is low grade dog food and medium grade horse shit. Portnoy would probably give it a 8.2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvTEtLIMYeE&t=440s
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He’s rated over 1,000 pizzas.
He’s a jackass but by volume and experience alone, he knows a lot more about pizza than you and I.

He gave the best pizza I’ve ever had a high score, one of the highest he’s given. I trust his pizza opinion if that’s what he thinks is peak pizza.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:03 am He’s rated over 1,000 pizzas.
He’s a jackass but by volume and experience alone, he knows a lot more about pizza than you and I.

He gave the best pizza I’ve ever had a high score, one of the highest he’s given. I trust his pizza opinion if that’s what he thinks is peak pizza.
This is JUST MY OPINION - which is worth nothing or something, depending on what you choose to take from it. (see what I did there? ;) )
I've rated at least 500 if not 1000 hamburgers. I'm a jackass and by volume and experience alone, I feel that does NOT make me a connoisseur nor does it equate to my knowing more about hamburgers than you or anyone else on here.
He gave a pizza I very much like a high score. He's given places I feel are terrible a high score too. He's given places I feel are very good low scores.
I trust you with a pizza opinion as much if not more than I trust him.
Like I said, he's just another schmuck with an opinion. What I didn't say is I will give the man credit. He has made a name for himself and indeed he has helped "small businesses". I'll also add I should cut him a break because while he does come off as an "expert", I don't believe he has ever said his reviews are anything other than his opinion - and people can/should take it for what it's worth.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sure, it's an opinion, but the OG statement is a bit misinformed, unless you think that every single person on this planet, regardless of experience, is just another schmuck with an opinion, which, in the end, considered from a strictly calculated scientific sense, is true.

On a human sense, where we judge people on what they do in their lifetimes, I think he has a lot more experience eating and knowing good pizza than both you and I, and isn't just a schmuck ( when it comes to pizza ).

To relate it to this bored, I think most posters here know more about college basketball than the average schmuck because of their time/experience spent in the subject matter, so to me that opinion is valued a bit more highly than someone who couldn't name any of the last 10 national champions.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Yes, I think/feel/beleive every single person on this planet is a schmuck with an opinion. Obviously to varying degrees.

I 100% agree with you that he has a lot more experience eating pizza than I do but I respectfully disagree that he knows good pizza more than you or I. I say that by asking - what makes a good pizza a good pizza? I have to assume he, you, and I have different opinions on that. That's basically my point, that just because he has more experience judging, it doesn't mean he's a better judge. Maybe you disagree. If so, cool.

Your last example is a good one and one I generally agree with.
That being said, I was at the National Championship games in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015.
I was at Elite 8s in 2022, 2018, 2016.
I think we can all agree, I don't know shit about college basketball - but no doubt I am a schmuck with too many opinions.

Back to top 3s.....

3 different top 3s from this schmuck. My choices could change 3 seconds after I post them.

Top 3 bagels sold in "stores" within a 1 mile radius of where I live in Chicago.
1. Gotham Bagels
2. Schneider Deli (which gets their bagels from Once Upon a Bagel).
3. Corey's Bagels

Top 3 places for an average tourist to visit on a rainy day within a 1.5 mile radius of where I live.
1. The Art Institute.
2. Museum of Contemporary Art
3. Starbucks Reserve Roastery

Top 3 FREE places for an average tourist to visit on a nice day in the summer time within a 2 mile radius of where I live.
1. Millenium Park
2. Lakefront Trail
3. Lincoln Park Zoo
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Once Upon a Bagel bagels are crap.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

mjl2 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:08 pm Once Upon a Bagel bagels are crap.
So are Coreys, and Gotham isn't so great (but better than OUaB and Corey's) either. ;)
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I don't know if this is top 3 breakfasts in town, but if it isn't, 99 is a lucky dude.

I had a breakfast sammich, 2 eggs, 2 sausage patties and cheese on house baked sourdough. Came with a mountain of hash browns that I did not have a prayer of finishing.

Daughter had potatoes and fixins with the same sourdough and homemade jam. Lots of roasted veggies over a mountain of hash browns with melted cheese.

All of it excellent. Add in the old school diner feel and the super efficient surly waitress and you got yerself a breakfast spot.

Check out Keys Cafe-Woodbury!
https://yelp.to/o68kvybJ8X
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:53 pm I don't know if this is top 3 breakfasts in town, but if it isn't, 99 is a lucky dude.

I had a breakfast sammich, 2 eggs, 2 sausage patties and cheese on house baked sourdough. Came with a mountain of hash browns that I did not have a prayer of finishing.

Daughter had potatoes and fixins with the same sourdough and homemade jam. Lots of roasted veggies over a mountain of hash browns with melted cheese.

All of it excellent. Add in the old school diner feel and the super efficient surly waitress and you got yerself a breakfast spot.

Check out Keys Cafe-Woodbury!
https://yelp.to/o68kvybJ8X
Salut Bar Americain is great up your way. Even on the right side of town for ya.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

The one Mexican place we ate ate here was not good. At all.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Name the town/city and then the restaurants please.

For future posters.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Woodbury MN
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Portillo's for lunch today.

$17 for a beef sammich with hot giardinnara, fries and an iced tea.
I went through the drive thru cuz time was short.
Ate a fry when I got back on the road. Cold and dead. Yuck.
Big sip of warm iced tea with no ice.
Sammich was allsome. Lots of beef and still warm when I got home. Probably won't be back for a while. Pretty steep for a sammich, fries and tea.
Defense. Rebounds.