Top 3 in your city

Coffee talk.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Top 3 in your city

Post by Sparko »

Overlander wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:35 pm
defixione wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:58 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:23 pm Braums is the best fast food burger. Period.
This.
Agreed
I like Dairy Queen brazier. Can only get the griddle fried in TX. I like real flame broiled and the weird lack of this in Texas has a lot to do with few natural gas lines in the bedrock. In and Out burger reminds me of something my mom pan fried in 1974
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Jhawks99, and everyone else.....Lawrence is overrun with mexican food choices these days. Countless 'taco' shops. Two, though, worth a visit for sure....and I'll add a third because of the top 3.

1. La Estrella---where firstmed used to be behind El Mezcal.
2. Paleteria Chihuahua--BP gas station next to Best Buy.
3. Taqueria La Pasadita--19th and Mass, next to Tattoo place. Where Hank Charcuterie was (if you missed that, it was great, too).

First two are my Favorites. One honorable mention is Casa Grande (for their street food).
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:56 pm Jhawks99, and everyone else.....Lawrence is overrun with mexican food choices these days. Countless 'taco' shops. Two, though, worth a visit for sure....and I'll add a third because of the top 3.

1. La Estrella---where firstmed used to be behind El Mezcal.
2. Paleteria Chihuahua--BP gas station next to Best Buy.
3. Taqueria La Pasadita--19th and Mass, next to Tattoo place. Where Hank Charcuterie was (if you missed that, it was great, too).

First two are my Favorites. One honorable mention is Casa Grande (for their street food).
wasn’t there a spot downtown by the Taproom?

if they’re still there, they used to be decent
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Taco Zone
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I've walked past that place dozens of times and actually never gone in...so Casa Grande tacos have it for me until I do so (for a downtown option).
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

they’ve been there at least 5 years, i think, which says something for downtown Lawrence
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KUTradition wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:26 pm they’ve been there at least 5 years, i think, which says something for downtown Lawrence
Does Chipotle being downtown for close to thirty take any of that cred away?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:53 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:26 pm they’ve been there at least 5 years, i think, which says something for downtown Lawrence
Does Chipotle being downtown for close to thirty take any of that cred away?
lol

thanks for making me feel old
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Don’t worry, hasbeen might come in here and make some witty old person metaphor.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

2. Paleteria Chihuahua

I think there is (or used to be) one on Kansas Ave in the 'Dotte.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’ve heard good things about La Estrella.

There’s a couple spots up here that do street taco type Mexican food alright but the Tex mex is not good…hence whenever I’m in Lawrence I do that.

( El Porto and Molcajetes last time I was there )
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man. I meant to bump this the other day.

Went to Winter Park Pub for dinner. Used to be the best ski bar in town, $2 Bud heavy on tap all day, plus pretty good bar food.

Now the bar food is resort prices, gross. And worse yet, the food is gross too.

I got a truffle burger and a craft beer (cuz they don't have Bud heavy on tap no more), which was almost 30 bucks even before the tip. And it was literally just a burnt-to-hell patty with half a stick of cold butter on it. So disappointing.

at least the bartenders are still babes tho.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

7th in the Nation.
But please, stay away.
Go to Michigan instead - I hear it's great.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/ra ... es-to-live

KC struggling at 73rd.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:47 pm 7th in the Nation.
But please, stay away.
Go to Michigan instead - I hear it's great.

https://realestate.usnews.com/places/ra ... es-to-live

KC struggling at 73rd.
You're going to celebrate being #7 on a list that has Green Bay Wisconsin at #1? :?
Maybe my not being smart has something to do with my not understanding how Green Bay is #1 when they rank the "desirability" at a 5.7
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Gracias.
Unfortunately reading the breakdowns only confused me more.
Why is "desirability" based on retirement?
I would estimate 75%+ of the people I work with who are under the age of 30 that had a "desire" to move to Chicago to work and live - will NOT "desire" to retire in Chicago.

Interesting that these were the only factors they took in to account and the percentages they gave them in their overall scores.

Happiness Index – 22%
Housing Affordability Index – 24%
Health Care Quality Index – 16%
Retiree Taxes Index – 16%
Desirability Index – 13%
Job Market Index – 9%

P.S. I have been to Portland Maine once. My sister goes there frequently. Both of us are big fans.
DON'T WORRY!!! Neither of us are planning on moving there.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Lexington 34
MSP 35.

Not bad.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:40 am Lexington 34
MSP 35.

Not bad.
Again, take in to account that Green Bay is #1 on that list.
Meanwhile, San Diego is way down at #93 - for primarily one reason. Lack of "value".
I'm only one person but I would MUCH rather and MUCH prefer to live in San Diego than 80+ of the other cities ranked higher.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If you can afford it, sure ( though i'd personally hate living in San Diego - no seasons and bad traffic ).
It was the least affordable city out of the 150 on the list and has a high cost of living compared to the average salary so that means you'd have a greater chance at being house poor.

I think someone is just mad that their city couldn't even break the top 100.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

pdub wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:04 pm If you can afford it, sure ( though i'd personally hate living in San Diego - no seasons and bad traffic ).
It was the least affordable city out of the 150 on the list and has a high cost of living compared to the average salary so that means you'd have a greater chance at being house poor.

I think someone is just mad that their city couldn't even break the top 100.
Actually, I really couldn't care less where Chicago ranks on that list.
Their breakdown of their indexes & categories and what they give value to has/have a different bearing on how I would rate each individual category and what is important to me.

Bottom line......
6 months of the year.... Most of the time I love living in Chicago. Love is a strong word.
6 months of the year.... Most of the time I hate living in Chicago. Hate is a strong word.
Therefore, for ME, I wouldn't put Chicago anywhere near the top of that list but I also wouldn't put it as low as 123. The not funny thing to me is that as low as I might put Chicago, I still put it ahead of the #1 city on the list.
Green Bay is not my cup of tea but I can and do respect many do love living there - and most of their reasons why.