Top 3 in your city

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Top 3 in your city

Post by jhawks99 »

So, anyone try Whatabuger? Any good? What's the scoop?
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Certainly not a top 3 in most cities.
It has better burgers than McDonald's, Burger King, McDonald's.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

isn’t Whatburger just rebranded Hardee’s?

it’s certainly no Blake’s Lotaburger
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You may be thinking Carl's Jr.
Whataburger is to Texas as In N Out is to Cali.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

yep…my mistake
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I tried the Arby's Wagyu burger today. Nuttin special and really not all that good.

It was thick. Almost like a home made burger. Even though there was a little pink in the middle, it was pretty dry. Toppings were meh. Curley fries and horsey sauce are good though.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

good bump!

but, man.

right before we got rear ended the other day, we went to lunch at one of those trendy new food court style dining halls. What do you call those things? It's nicer than the food court at Mich's mall, way better than the usual Sbarro pizza and Panda Express and Cinnabon and stuff, plus a full bar in the middle too.

We first tried some empanadas joint. Really really good. Light flaky crust, just enough spice to the spicy chicken filling, the chimichurri sauce was alright too.

They had a couple pizza options (both of which looked way better than Sbarro), some Asian bowls joint, a deli-style joint that also served smoked brisket and pulled pork, street tacos joint, crepes joint, more ice cream joints than anyone could ever need.

Then, for whatever reason, decide to get a burger. It seems like the busiest/most popular offering, and the burgers look thick, homemade, and better than your average burger.

But they still were just...OK.

Then I realized, it's really really hard to get a really good burger isn't it. like what makes a burger stand out? Unique toppings or something? At some point, it stops even tasting like a burger. And they're usually either burnt to a crisp or bloody as hell, almost hard to get just right. And even if you do, it's just a big ol patty of ground beef, how exciting can it be.

in hindsight, shoulda just got more empanadas.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Strang Hall in downtown OP is like that, central bar and a bunch of food stands. What we had was pretty good.

For burgers? This patty, cooked no more than medium. Well seasoned with salt and whatever else. Toppings should be fresh, if you can't find a ripe tomato in January, don't serve one. There should be something acidic like pickles or something. Bun should not fall apart. I like a little mayo or some special sauce or something. I hate ketchup.
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:14 pm I tried the Arby's Wagyu burger today. Nuttin special and really not all that good.

It was thick. Almost like a home made burger. Even though there was a little pink in the middle, it was pretty dry. Toppings were meh. Curley fries and horsey sauce are good though.
There's no way Arby's is actually selling real wagyu... Right?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if you read the fine print on the commercials, it says "Wagyu blended with regular old ground beef"
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I never thought it was the real deal. It's like when you see Kona coffee. It's like 10% Kona and 90% Colombian.

The pics of the burger in the Arby's ad looked good to me. I've been fooled by them before. Their commercials make their food look good. Aside from curly fries with horsey sauce, their food generally sucks.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I like Arby's melts.....which apparently they don't sell anymore. Now I just order a beef n cheddar without the weird sweet sauce.

I never even see Arby's anymore. I eat it like once a year when we happen to be driving through somewhere that has one.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Whataburger Bacon Taquitos…..breakfast.

Thank me later
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh!

had Dominoes for the first time in I don't know how long. One just opened in our neck of the woods.

(RIP the head shop that used to be there but got priced out once the landlord jacked up rent, but according to the landlord he was not just jacking up rent to prices only a corporate mega chain could afford, he was trying to "bring more culture to the valley"...so instead he brought in a...dominoes...either way, now might have to go to Denver for bongs...)

I wanna say it was good because it was pizza, but it was not good pizza, if that makes sense. Cuz, pretty sure it was just...not that good?

The sauce seemed kinda off, and everything else just seemed a little bland and cardboredy or something. And every inch of the crust was covered thick in cornmeal. Pretty sure it would loose in a blind taste test against many frozen pizza options. Heck, pretty sure it was a frozen pizza.

And, being a resort area, we don't get the cheap carryout deals they promote everywhere else. It was still like $18 bucks for a 1 topping frozen pizza.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In the spirit of the thread:

3. Deno’s mountain bistro. I prefer the margherita or the sausage and caramelized onions
2. Elevation. Try the “Adam bomb” - pepperoni, hatch green chiles, and…cream cheese (ducks)
1. Homemade at casa de ous

Honorable mention: WP Pub. It’s deep dish, and almost biscuity kinda crust

Dishonorable mention: Hernandos. No, it doesn’t belong on this list, GTFO with that Colorado style
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I commented here about having Domino's at a work event. While I appreciated that our management got us all together and bought lunch, the pizza was awful. Thick tasteless crust that tasted of fake garlic. I hated it.

The Papa John's Shaqaroni looks interesting. Anyone had one?
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:13 pm I commented here about having Domino's at a work event. While I appreciated that our management got us all together and bought lunch, the pizza was awful. Thick tasteless crust that tasted of fake garlic. I hated it.

The Papa John's Shaqaroni looks interesting. Anyone had one?
It’s Papa John.
All I needed to hear.

Fuck that
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

In the spirit of Brando and his love for 5 Guys Burgers I will say my typical - To each their own.
Same applies to pizza.
Although, I guess some burgers are just plain shit no matter if there is someone who likes them or not - and again, the same applies to pizza.

Bad burgers I like (not love) - at times......
McDonalds Double Quarter Pounder NO cheese.

Bad pizza I like (not love) - at times......
Sorry guys and girls, I'll admit it, Dominos.

Back to top 3 in my city......

Top 3 people rightfully being held accountable for not figuring out a way to curb the massive amounts of crime in the "heart" of the city....
1. Lori Lightfoot
2. Dave Brown
3. Kim Foxx

Here is the kicker. There is a very good chance all 3 of them will stay in power for the next several years.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

pdub wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:56 am Name your city/town/region.
We will start with burgers.

Top 3 burgers
Portland ME and surrounding
1. Owl and Elm - Just closed
2. Great Lost Bear - service was shitty last two times we went
3. NOSH - still good
Original post update.
1. Woodford Food and Beverage
2. NOSH
3. Shays

Honorable mentions: Great Lost Bear, Black Cow
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Just had what is supposed to be the best 'cue in Lexington. Very disappointing. A generous serving of brisket on a bun, spud salad and collard greens.

Brisket was dry, bland sauce did not help. Yeah, there was a lot of it but I had to choke it down.
Potato salad was ok, it really needed some salt, or something to punch it up a little.
I can't eat the greens. I've never had collards that I didn't like, until now.
They seemed nice.
Pic is what I had but not my plate.

Defense. Rebounds.