Sandwiches

Coffee talk.
Cascadia

Re: Sandwiches

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:43 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:42 amAlso, the crowd advocating for Village Inn and Furs can't be taking any shots at anyone else.
Yeah, those places are really bad. Add Perkins to that list.
You trying to meet up for lunch at Sizzler's or what?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Montana Mikes lol

edit: Bonanza back in the early 90s
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

What was the BBQ joint on Mass St that would serve your a plate of french fries that must have been 8 potatoes worth of fries?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:46 am What was the BBQ joint on Mass St that would serve your a plate of french fries that must have been 8 potatoes worth of fries?
Buffalo Bob's. Not good.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:47 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:46 am What was the BBQ joint on Mass St that would serve your a plate of french fries that must have been 8 potatoes worth of fries?
Buffalo Bob's. Not good.
That's it, yeah not great. Bunch of fucking fries though!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Paisano's finally closed its doors. It went downhill pretty quickly but that was a big time "nice meal" spot for a long time.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

wow
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh!

Regarding Zen Zero.

I’m sure those who have had more authentic or whatever Asian food can look down their noses at it.

But for a Midwestern kid who grew up in such a sheltered boring Midwestern sitch he barely even got to try the grocery store Chinese food, Zen Zero was a gateway drug of sorts.

It was the first time I’d had things like pad Thai, or curries, or so many other delicious Asian dishes. I thought they were all incredible, still do, and don’t care if they don’t compare to something you were fed out of a coconut on the beach in Cambodia or whatever.

Plus, if you ever went on a date with a vegetarian chick in Lawrence, there was a pretty high chance you’d end up there. And if you’d play ball and not act weirded out by her tofu then you’re prob gonna get some after.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:01 am Oh!

Regarding Zen Zero.

I’m sure those who have had more authentic or whatever Asian food can look down their noses at it.

But for a Midwestern kid who grew up in such a sheltered boring Midwestern sitch he barely even got to try the grocery store Chinese food, Zen Zero was a gateway drug of sorts.

It was the first time I’d had things like pad Thai, or curries, or so many other delicious Asian dishes. I thought they were all incredible, still do, and don’t care if they don’t compare to something you were fed out of a coconut on the beach in Cambodia or whatever.

Plus, if you ever went on a date with a vegetarian chick in Lawrence, there was a pretty high chance you’d end up there. And if you’d play ball and not act weirded out by her tofu then you’re prob gonna get some after.
Bingo, that's exactly what it is and what I meant with my overrated post.

Nice space, great location, Noodles & Co. food made by odd hipsters.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh come on bro it’s at least better than Noodles and co.

It’s not like I’m going there to eat mac and cheese.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Best Thai in Lawrence right now is Thai Diner.

Thai Siam not as good now as I remember in college.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Say what you will, but Village Inn served some pretty great breakfasts
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Isn’t village inn just like some kinda chain?

I’ve def eaten there at a bumfuck KS rest stop or something.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yeah. They used to be everywhere
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:36 am Isn’t village inn just like some kinda chain?

I’ve def eaten there at a bumfuck KS rest stop or something.
It's basically Denny's, but more favorable among the blue hairs. Kind of a tmcats type of place.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:43 am
Cascadia wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:42 amAlso, the crowd advocating for Village Inn and Furs can't be taking any shots at anyone else.
Yeah, those places are really bad. Add Perkins to that list.
Sorry for you both that my fam didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up so when we went out, it was to places like Village Inn and Furs.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:47 am
Buffalo Bob's. Not good.
Same dude who used to own Mass Street Deli - Bob Krass or something?
"How bout a Fat Tire Amber Ale, NOW."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I was actually going to post that nostalgia adds so much to it. My mom hated Village Inn, Furrs, Sirloin Stockade, Ryan's, to name a few, so I thought I hated it too as a kid. Then you grow up and the food tastes even worse, and chain restaurant food quality has gone downhill anyway.

But, plenty of not great, cheap restaurants I still have a taste for because of childhood. Like Long John Silver's, cheap Chinese buffets, or even Burrito King from college. Lots of JoCo-ers still love Taco Via and that place kinda blows.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Isn’t Perkins at least open late night tho?

Cuz the only way to make hash browns and pie better, is hash browns and pie completely gushered after last call.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There was a girl in my high school that allegedly got f'd up on something and walked into Perkins handing out candy corn with two dudes on Halloween. Nude.

I thought it was one of those awful peanut butter on the privates rumor that unfortunately got labeled to some poor schmuck ( NO I DIDNT DO THAT ) but there was a blurb in the Journal World about it.