Destroy the monuments?

Ugh.
dolomite
Contributor

Destroy the monuments?

Post by dolomite »

So if statues, flags, monuments etc. are being taken down, why not do the same to all monuments that feature slave owners, such as Mt. Rushmore, our "shrine of democracy"? If paybacks are due it might come about sooner rather than later because eventually in the U.S. if census projections are correct whites will no longer be the majority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... ned_slaves
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Mjl

Re: Destroy the monuments?

Post by Mjl »

Do you not think people should be judged by the context of what was considered right and wrong at their time in history?

Do you get that's the difference here?
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I get the difference, but what was "right" then wasn't truly "right". In fact, much of it was "wrong" imo.

Monuments don't have feelings, but people do. I would rather attempt to create a happy environment for people alive now, rather than worry about nonexistent feelings of monuments of dead people.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:55 pm I get the difference, but what was "right" then wasn't truly "right". In fact, much of it was "wrong" imo.

Monuments don't have feelings, but people do. I would rather attempt to create a happy environment for people alive now, rather than worry about nonexistent feelings of monuments of dead people.
That’s a big part of the problem right now. There’s no making the OuTRaGe crowd happy because they don’t know what they want other than to be angry and hurt other people. A few weeks from now, they’ll still be empty and dissatisfied, and they’ll move on to something else to fill the void.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Did anyone on Mt. Rushmore fight for, and loose, a war to keep black lives enslaved?
Deleted User 310

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:05 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:55 pm I get the difference, but what was "right" then wasn't truly "right". In fact, much of it was "wrong" imo.

That’s a big part of the problem right now. There’s no making the OuTRaGe crowd happy because they don’t know what they want other than to be angry and hurt other people. A few weeks from now, they’ll still be empty and dissatisfied, and they’ll move on to something else to fill the void.
Well I agree outrage culture is over the top at times, but that isn't who I'm talking about keeping happy. There are a lot of reasonable people who think certain problematic figures from the past shouldn't be celebrated or glorified. Obviously, we can't make everyone happy, and over time our culture has changed so significantly. It is a tough task either way. No perfect solution.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:08 pm Did anyone on Mt. Rushmore fight for, and loose, a war to keep black lives enslaved?
No. So?
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So let’s dance!

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

The statue of Jeff Davis came down in KY capitol today.
Defense. Rebounds.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

The outrage culture in dopeytowne just want a cheap place to live. And the right not to work if they don’t feel like working. In other words, gobbs and gobbs of government freebies.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Whaaa?
Defense. Rebounds.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

90% of the dopes in dopeytowne couldn’t tell you who Jefferson davis is.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Do you have a map of dopeytowne?
Defense. Rebounds.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:22 pm The outrage culture in dopeytowne just want a cheap place to live. And the right not to work if they don’t feel like working. In other words, gobbs and gobbs of government freebies.
But they don't want police now, or any laws. They want Somalia, essentially. How is that consistent with their idea that more government will fix everything? I don't think they are aware of the irony.

It's a sad state we are in right now, and embarrassing. A group of idiots with a herd mentality will try their best to get you fired, just for having an opinion that differs from theirs. Of course in their mind, you're always "racist." The sad reality is, nothing we do can with government is going to fix the problems with blacks in this country. It has to come from within people's families, and we have to not be afraid to have an honest discussion about it.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Mjl wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:50 pm Do you not think people should be judged by the context of what was considered right and wrong at their time in history?

Washington and Jefferson owned over 900 slaves between them and I guess it was generally accepted practice at that time. But I doubt very much if their slaves were ever "OK" with it. So many would consider it abhorrent that they are honored by being on Mt. Rushmore.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:45 pm
Mjl wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:50 pm Do you not think people should be judged by the context of what was considered right and wrong at their time in history?

Washington and Jefferson owned over 900 slaves between them and I guess it was generally accepted practice at that time. But I doubt very much if their slaves were ever "OK" with it. So many would consider it abhorrent that they are honored by being on Mt. Rushmore.
If they chose to remove the monuments at Mt. Rushmore, I would have zero problem with it. It's disgusting what the did to the Native Americans in that area to begin with.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:56 pm

If they chose to remove the monuments at Mt. Rushmore, I would have zero problem with it. It's disgusting what the did to the Native Americans in that area to begin with.
So, we're in agreement here. White man.... bad!
Taylor Sheridan
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:08 pm Did anyone on Mt. Rushmore fight for, and loose, a war to keep black lives enslaved?
How about fought for and won?
England banned slavery over 50 years before the US did.
Deleted User 310

twocoach wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:56 pm

wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Do a new one with less problematic people.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Wouldn’t be a United States without George Washington.