Destroy the monuments?

Ugh.
Deleted User 141

Re: Destroy the monuments?

Post by Deleted User 141 »

I don’t think they should be destroyed.

Take em down if needed, as feelings and understanding change.

Maybe put everything in self-storage somewhere off an exit In Missouri or such, and when Trump is out of office, his museum can be built and all of these items can be shown off.

If it will the best, biggest, most visited of all presidential museums. Just terrific. Tremendous. I also suggest building a wall around it.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

https://www.democracynow.org/2015/2/11/ ... _lynchings

This is a fitting commemoration of the period. It does not glorify the brutality and the oppression, it shows it for what it really was and commemorates the victims.

https://museumandmemorial.eji.org

There is a reason why there is not a tall proud statue of a noble Hitler at the gate to what was once Auschwitz. What we need to remember if we don't want to repeat history is what he and his followers made possible, the horrors inside the camp. Same for the confederacy, let's remember them for their atrocities and brutality. There should be no honor or nobility in that, just shame.

So if you want to commemorate the confederacy and the enduring history of their cause, go see the lynching museum. That is an honest and straight up record of the southern history and legacy of the confederacy.

Southern culture and confederate culture are not one and the same. Showing the confederate cause and enduring white supremacist culture for what it is does not erase everything else that is part of history and culture. It was and is an extremists culture that is based upon oppression and subjugation of people based upon the color of their skin and should not be rolled into generalized discussion of culture and history as though removing those symbols erase everything else. This generalization is just an excuse perpetuated by confederate/white supremacist adherents to get others to support the installation of their symbols of terror. They want it to sound simple and innocuous, but it is not.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

japhy wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:32 am https://www.democracynow.org/2015/2/11/ ... _lynchings

This is a fitting commemoration of the period. It does not glorify the brutality and the oppression, it shows it for what it really was and commemorates the victims.

https://museumandmemorial.eji.org

There is a reason why there is not a tall proud statue of a noble Hitler at the gate to what was once Auschwitz. What we need to remember if we don't want to repeat history is what he and his followers made possible, the horrors inside the camp. Same for the confederacy, let's remember them for their atrocities and brutality. There should be no honor or nobility in that, just shame.

So if you want to commemorate the confederacy and the enduring history of their cause, go see the lynching museum. That is an honest and straight up record of the southern history and legacy of the confederacy.

Southern culture and confederate culture are not one and the same. Showing the confederate cause and enduring white supremacist culture for what it is does not erase everything else that is part of history and culture. It was and is an extremists culture that is based upon oppression and subjugation of people based upon the color of their skin and should not be rolled into generalized discussion of culture and history as though removing those symbols erase everything else. This generalization is just an excuse perpetuated by confederate/white supremacist adherents to get others to support the installation of their symbols of terror. They want it to sound simple and innocuous, but it is not.
Great post
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Maybe my knowledge of US history is not so strong, having only come to the US in my late-teen years, a little over three and a half decades ago. But I think I have a fairly good grasp.

Practically speaking, what’s the difference between Jefferson Davis and George Wallace? I don’t mean it just rhetorically. We don’t have any monument for the latter other than those stating “what an a-hole”.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Rick Wilson has a podcast, The New Abnormal, and talks about the Confederate flag, the Confederate generals who combined considerable military failure with "the usual delight in slavery and racism", and as he calls them--the Trump supporters (not every Trump supporter) who are "racist mouthbreathing shitbags who proudly display the treasonous banner of a dead nation that sought to destroy America and perpetuate slavery."

He also talks about how the Confederate flag is no longer the symbol that Trump thinks it is for the vast majority of Southerners, and gives a description that is quite honest about how Trump will have blowback in "places in the South where...the New South ideal was always flawed, it was always a long road to repairing and mitigating the damage of slavery and the long history of Jim Crow culture, but it’s a road that people in the South were legitimately proud to be on, where they legitimately felt, we are so far from getting there, but we’re gonna put the work in and it was slow and spotty and incoherent in places and never worked out like you thought it would work out fast enough or deep enough, but the vast majority of people in the South look at that display now and it has become something that Trump doesn’t understand. It’s not the cultural signifier he thinks it is. It’s now a cultural signifier almost purely of racism and ignorance. The New Abnormal podcast on Bill Barr

Wilson is from the Georgia-Bama part of Florida.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... ICxAG&ep=6
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 62

Yeah, I can't think of another country that so idolizes the leaders of a failed coup.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Don't inject Lysol.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Lee did some good things for the US particularly in the Mexican -American war. He also opposed public memorials to the confederacy, stating that they wouldnt allow the wounds of war to heal
Just Ledoux it
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Robert E. Lee did no good things in his entire life. He's one of the worst Americans ever. A terrible husband, a terrible father. He had no interest whatsoever in allowing the wounds of war to heal--he allowed the young men who attended his college to abuse black people in the town and he was an angry man until the end of his life. What he was good at during his life was acting as if everything he did was Honorable, but what was Honorable was what benefited Robert E. Lee.

Even among Confederate generals he stands out as a man with no redeeming qualities, some of the others at least loved their wives and children. Lee was just a fortune hunter like the other scurrilous reprobates in his family.

The one quality about him is that he basically was a loser as a general and we should all be thankful for that.
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

So no more Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben etc...what about faces on Wheaties boxes, is that taboo as well? This whole thing is getting absurd. Is Cracker Barrel next?
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 62

dolomite wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:29 am Is Cracker Barrel next?
I hear ya, what the hell are you going to do on Saturday nights if Cracker Barrel shuts down?
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

dolomite wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:29 am So no more Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben etc...what about faces on Wheaties boxes, is that taboo as well? This whole thing is getting absurd. Is Cracker Barrel next?
See my 5 questions today....

As far as destroying the monuments, I say no. While I don't like that they exist, I feel it's important to help educate people how fucked up our country was (and still is) and the monuments are a testament to it.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

dolomite wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:29 am So no more Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben etc...what about faces on Wheaties boxes, is that taboo as well? This whole thing is getting absurd. Is Cracker Barrel next?
You can't tell the difference between branding icons and actual men who were treasonous creeps that fought to destroy our nation? How odd.
Don't inject Lysol.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

seahawk wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:51 am
You can't tell the difference between branding icons and actual men who were treasonous creeps that fought to destroy our nation to preserve the right to enslave fellow humans? How odd.
FYP. You're welcome! :(
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

The Washington monument was partially built by slaves? So which way does that go.

I think George Washington owned a few hundred of them.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 62

dolomite wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:40 pm The Washington monument was partially built by slaves? So which way does that go.

I think George Washington owned a few hundred of them.
An unfortunate piece of history.

Not the same thing as declaring war on the United States though...is it?
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

The sad thing is, they are diminishing the real racists by calling everything "racist". 2020 was the year the "feelz" took over.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:03 pm The sad thing is, they are diminishing the real racists by calling everything "racist". 2020 was the year the "feelz" took over.
It really isn't. We're a big enough country that we can tackle this on multiple fronts. It only "diminishes" it in the eyes of people who refuse to admit that there is a problem in the first place.