Destroy the monuments?

Ugh.
zsn
Contributor

Re: Destroy the monuments?

Post by zsn »

Walrus wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:03 pm The sad thing is, they are diminishing the real racists by calling everything "racist". 2020 was the year the "feelz" took over.
Actually it’s a case of holding up a mirror and realizing that what thought people was acceptable really isn’t (cf. NASCAR) , and what people thought was unacceptable really was (cf. Mr Kaepernick).
Last edited by zsn on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:20 pm
Walrus wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:03 pm The sad thing is, they are diminishing the real racists by calling everything "racist". 2020 was the year the "feelz" took over.
It really isn't. We're a big enough country that we can tackle this on multiple fronts. It only "diminishes" it in the eyes of people who refuse to admit that there is a problem in the first place.
^^^^^^
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/202 ... tests.html

Well now theyre knocking over George Washington statues.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:49 am https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/202 ... tests.html

Auction it off to some super wealthy white person and donate the money to a program to help inner city kids. Honestly, whatever. Statues don't move my needle in any direction.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Hes a major reason why we have a country without a crown. I get destroying Confederate monuments but this is different.
Just Ledoux it
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

At least Washington was conflicted about slavery, even if he did some despicable things to keep his slaves. Finding that Pennsylvania law would allow them to be freed while he was living as the 1st President in Philadelphia, he had Martha plan to take them back home to Virginia before the 6 months that would end in freedom were up. When one young woman walked away, he pursued her for 10 years, offering rewards and sending slave catchers after her, where she'd married and was living in NH. But, he did express his concerns about slavery throughout his adult life and he did sort of free them in his will.

And at least he's not like Jefferson, who needed to justify his slave owning by creating a racist screed in NOTES ON THE STATE OF VIRGINIA that would become the racists' bible. He also mortgaged all his slaves to the hilt, so they were sold on the lawn of Monticello after his death. He never freed the woman who was his mistress and bore his children. His daughter did that after his death.
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:23 am
TDub wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:49 am https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/202 ... tests.html

Auction it off to some super wealthy white person and donate the money to a program to help inner city kids. Honestly, whatever. Statues don't move my needle in any direction.
How about dead Presidents faces on money? Might as well change those as well. And while we're at it maybe redesign the American flag since so many object to it.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

dolomite wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:18 pm

How about dead Presidents faces on money? Might as well change those as well. And while we're at it maybe redesign the American flag since so many object to it.
The faces on money do get changed periodically and have for as long as the dollar has existed.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Wow, you are REALLY sensitive.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

So dramatic.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:55 pm
So dramatic.
Some people just don't like being reminded of slavery, i.e. when they see Presidents faces, I suppose?
That's just how it is these days for some people.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dolomite wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:40 pm
Some people just don't like being reminded of slavery
some people do?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:05 pm
dolomite wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:40 pm
Some people just don't like being reminded of slavery
some people do?
Apparently, yes. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a need to build these statues some 50+ years after the end of the Civil War.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:34 pm
Wow, you are REALLY sensitive.
You're back!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

also part of me wonders how “in god we trust” ever endured any 1A challenges,

except...

Merica
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

IIRC, there was a challenge a few years ago and essentially it was ruled that the government really mean anything by it, and it not actually not considered establishment of religion. Can’t recall if it was Appeals court level or SCOTUS.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Our country has been a bad hypocritical joke since 1776. Several glaring contradictions between the DOI and the Constitution. Buy hey, of course it could be worse.
I say leave God in/on whatever you want but don't make anyone feel the need to say or believe in God unless they freely choose to do as such - and it should be all good. Right?
Why is it so difficult for EVERYONE to accept that way of thinking?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The founding fathers:

“All men are created equal lulz”