In this thread, the "experts" own Lobs

Ugh.
Walrus

In this thread, the "experts" own Lobs

Post by Walrus »

Lots of good stuff in this one.

"if we're sacrificing individuals because a mob has decided they are guilty, we aren't America anymore"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRCzZp1J0v0&t=17s
Last edited by Walrus on Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Walrus

Re: 2020: the year the "feelz" took over

Post by Walrus »

"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Walrus wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:18 pm Lots of good stuff in this one.

"if we're sacrificing individuals because a mob has decided they are guilty, we aren't America anymore"

Not so dumb question/s time.
1) Did you actually watch all 3 hours of that?
2) Is the quote you posted supposed to mean something to me?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Grandma wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Not so dumb question/s time.
1) Did you actually watch all 3 hours of that?
2) Is the quote you posted supposed to mean something to me?
He posted the video and the quotation twice now, so I think the answer to both is yes.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Lol, Joe Rogan is a fucking tool
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Lookie/looky here kids. I found a 1 minute and 19 second/s video that sums up the hours and hours of videos that lobster (actually watched?) and shared with us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ5fAa_VOu8
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Joe Rogan, bc of his television past, is easy to dismiss when actually he often makes a lot of good points.

I don’t go out of my way to listen to him or his show but there are things he discusses which I agree with. I’m not watching 3 hours of video though.

However this feels very political so I’ll be moving it ( and I guess by doing so I’ve posted on the poli-bored ).
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Joe Rogan gets great guests. Probably more than any other podcast.

Then he spends the show asking if they've done psychedelics, what their diet is, what supplements they take, if they go to saunas/cold chambers, and then tells them stories about martial arts.

It has to be a three hour podcast because he wastes two hours of it on the same boring shit.

You've got the world's foremost expert on some topic... just shut up and let him talk about it

Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:01 am Joe Rogan gets great guests. Probably more than any other podcast.

Then he spends the show asking if they've done psychedelics, what their diet is, what supplements they take, if they go to saunas/cold chambers, and then tells them stories about martial arts.

It has to be a three hour podcast because he wastes two hours of it on the same boring shit.

You've got the world's foremost expert on some topic... just shut up and let him talk about it
^^^^^^^
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

seahawk

Post by seahawk »

While I'm not a believer in destroying public property, having followed the difficulties that the City of New Orleans had in removing monuments after the citizenry had voted to do so, I imagine that many city officials are glad they now only have to figure out where to put the removed statues.

As for Francis Scott Key, he was a DA who spent his time prosecuting white abolitionists in the immediate period before the Civil War. Do you really revere this kind of individual?

In the resulting case, U.S. v. Reuben Crandall, Key made national headlines by asking whether the property rights of slaveholders outweighed the free speech rights of those arguing for slavery’s abolishment. Key hoped to silence abolitionists, who, he charged, wished to “associate and amalgamate with the negro.”

Though Crandall’s offense was nothing more than possessing abolitionist literature, Key felt that abolitionists’ free speech rights were so dangerous that he sought, unsuccessfully, to have Crandall hanged.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithson ... 180959550/
Don't inject Lysol.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

So, I listened to the first ~90 minutes of this, which includes the quotation you shared.

Basically, Weinstein makes the point that Chauvin deserves a trial by jury. And says that if Chauvin is found not guilty, it would lead to something 100X worse than the Rodney King riots. But knowing that, if there was evidence to find him not guilty, it would be un-American to find him guilty because of that.

The problem with that is, it necessitates there being some piece of evidence that exonerates him, and I don't think that exists. We saw the video, all the evidence that has come out publicly (e.g. they knew each other and didn't get along, Chauvin has tons of complaints, etc) makes Chauvin look even more guilty. Weintstein tries to say, what if it is policy to do that choke hold, but A) Jaime looked it up, and the policy states that clearly what Chauvin did falls outside of that, and B) that's just like the Nazi war crimes bullshit, just because someone tells you to do something horrible doesn't excuse you if you do it.

But, in any event, I'm pretty sure Chauvin will have his day in court, so the quote is essentially meaningless and was nothing more than a thought experiment.

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

He will have his day in court, but he's not going to have a fair trial. That was the point of the quote.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Honestly I think it’s more likely he plea bargains.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Walrus wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:58 pm He will have his day in court, but he's not going to have a fair trial. That was the point of the quote.
What won't be fair about it?

Do you have evidence that he's innocent that won't be presented?

Your boy Rogan was pretty adamant that it was clearly a murder. If he committed a murder, and by all the evidence we've seen, he did commit a murder. And he's found guilty by a jury, then he got a fair trial.

I thought you had me on ignore.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also, there have been lots of unfair trials in our history. If that's the standard, we haven't been America for a long long time.

Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I don't have anyone on "ignore", but I was stating in mind, I grouped you in with the same category as Seahawk. I know that was maybe a bit too harsh, I apologize.

I don't think I need to expand further as you already stated trials have been unfair for a long time. This one in particular though, is being decided by a mob of people even before it begins.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

You think Chauvin didn't kill Floyd based on what we know?

There's an awful lot of video footage available.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How often is a murder caught on video?