Cascadia

Re: Redskins

Post by Cascadia »

3/5ths?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sentinels. Replacements style
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Non-Represented.

It’s awesome that it’s either gonna be big govt or big companies that get us.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It will be two syllables to keep their fight song. I am thinking Bulldogs or Fed’rals.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Not going to be honkies or crackers.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Chiefs not long behind
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

I’ve never heard much about chiefs needing to go...

The chop and chant on the other hand. That shit is silly.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dumb like changing the Wizards to SportingKC.

I'll always call em the Wizards or Wiz.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Oh when the Wiz.... Go marching in....
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

So I was talking about this with my buddy who is Native (Nez Perce and Yakama to be exact). He likes the redskins name,he says that, even though it may not be the most flattering name, at least it means they haven't been forgotten yet. He doesn't want to change the name because he says the more politically correct we get the more we forget.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:36 am So I was talking about this with my buddy who is Native (Nez Perce and Yakama to be exact). He likes the redskins name,he says that, even though it may not be the most flattering name, at least it means they haven't been forgotten yet. He doesn't want to change the name because he says the more politically correct we get the more we forget.
I dont need there to be a football team named "Redskins" to remember that we have treated native Americans like shit since the moment white europeans stepped foot on this continent.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:11 am
TDub wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:36 am So I was talking about this with my buddy who is Native (Nez Perce and Yakama to be exact). He likes the redskins name,he says that, even though it may not be the most flattering name, at least it means they haven't been forgotten yet. He doesn't want to change the name because he says the more politically correct we get the more we forget.
I dont need there to be a football team named "Redskins" to remember that we have treated native Americans like shit since the moment white europeans stepped foot on this continent.
Not my words. Youre arguing with my native american buddy about how HE feels. Typical 2coach
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

And it wasn't abouthow they were treated. It qas about remembering their existence. But carry on,tell him how he should feel.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That’s an interesting take - “the more politically correct we get the more we forget.”

If he thinks it remembers their existence, I’m not gonna tell him it doesn’t. But the “political correctness” logic of it seems off.

I don’t think “political correctness” is about trying to forget these sorts of issues. I’d suggest political correctness is more about an awareness of these sorts of issues,and navigating forward in a way intended to mitigate the negative effects of these issues.

If anything, it seems your buddy thinks it’s more politically correct to just leave the name be, cuz he feels it creates a recognition of that awareness that outweighs any offense created by the term, at least to him personally.

I suppose these sorts of things have to be viewed in some greater context either way, not through just individual anecdotes.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

lol, “I have a black friend”
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Don't worry, you all know what is best.
Onward "I know how you should feel" soldiers:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ne ... story.html
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Maybe that’s the greater context I mentioned.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Solution, a proper name or tribal supported person that honors the Native heritage as the name instead of a slur. There are absolutely folks who are native that don’t care that the DC name is a slur, just like there are absolutely black people who don’t care about white people using the N-word. However, I think there has been enough tribal outcry that we can find a solution as the name has gone out of favor.

I used to use R-word often as well as a certain 3 letter F-word all the time as a teenage in the late 90s. I’ve always been a strong supporter of LGBT folks as I’ve had gay friends and family all my life, and mentally challenged groups as I have several cousins who are on the spectrum. To us kids, those were just words we used, and it was commonplace even for adults. However, after realizing the hurt those words bring, I stopped using them. Likewise, there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of folks who hate the DC name, enough where we should just change it. What might have been commonplace in the 60s now means something else. It’s just a team name. We can strive to do better without having to make a big deal about it.