Corona brides

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Corona brides

Post by ousdahl »

So who knows anyone who planned to get married this year?

Are they still going through with it? Are they amending or postponing plans?

I have two friends fixin to tie the knot. Both are all gung ho. By the end of the summer, one is expecting all the bros to drive from all over country to attend the bachelor party; another is expecting 20+ chicks to fly in for her bachelorette.
shindig

Re: Corona brides

Post by shindig »

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Two postponements that I was invited to.
One in which they married at the courthouse and are doing a party when its better to do so.

If you wanted to do a sub 50 person wedding, it's within the guidelines at least up here, and I think that would be fine.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“Fine” under the guidelines on a literal level.

But I personally wouldn’t want to get anywhere near anything like a communal cake table, nor would I expect any friend, family, or anyone else I care about to attend.

But then again, I’m pretty self-depreciating, and can’t speak for the average bridezilla
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm on three scratched weddings this year, and counting.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Now that the guidelines are being determined by politicians and not scientists i am just basically assuming everyone has it and staying away from everyone as much as possible. You couldn't pay me to be in a room for very long with more than just the people I live with.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

My sister has a wedding planned for October.
She was engaged 117 times, so this one needs to stick.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think there's a middle ground where you should be OK to start living your lives as it used to be without as much fear and panic as long as you aren't COVID partying a moshpit of human flesh.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:42 pm I think there's a middle ground where you should be OK to start living your lives as it used to be without as much fear and panic as long as you aren't COVID partying a moshpit of human flesh.
I agree. But weddings, and especially wedding receptions seem like a bad idea. Small ceremony, only locals, immediate friends and closest family, social distance during ceremony, then everyone goes home, then schedule a reception next year is the direvtion I'd go.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Makes sense but if the best man or the parents came in from away, I would say it is worth the risk, or rather I think it's fine for that family to make that decision for risk, the risk being a lot lower than some of us make it out to be ( and when I say that, please don't take it as that I don't believe the virus exists or hasn't been a big issue in the US - not speaking to phD here but other pants poopers ).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:42 pm I think there's a middle ground where you should be OK to start living your lives as it used to be without as much fear and panic as long as you aren't COVID partying a moshpit of human flesh.
I think you’re underestimating my wedding plans.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:59 pm Makes sense but if the best man or the parents came in from away, I would say it is worth the risk, or rather I think it's fine for that family to make that decision for risk, the risk being a lot lower than some of us make it out to be ( and when I say that, please don't take it as that I don't believe the virus exists or hasn't been a big issue in the US - not speaking to phD here but other pants poopers ).
Every situation is unique I guess. But I'd feel bad just asking a good friend to travel a long distance for the wedding, especially flying.

Full disclosure, I don't like weddings, feel like getting invited to them is a burden, and for that reason, kinda felt guilty inviting people to mine even without a global pandemic.

Also, vega told me weddings don't exist since he's never heard of them, and as proof they don't exist, Chris Rock is wealthy.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I personally would delay the whole thing.
But i'm not going to judge someone who asks their best man, and their best man isn't concerned, to take a flight to a very small wedding.
If one of my buddies had a wedding and said i want you in my wedding party ( which is impossible b/c i have no friends but hypothetically ) and I had to fly I would still likely go ( with some mild anxiety ).
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think the bigger ethical dilemma is funerals. Can't really wait on those. Felt really bad for people who lost someone and couldn't properly mourn.

shindig

Post by shindig »

I would think your friends will get a lot of last minute cancellations or excuses as to why they won't be there, just MHO, especially as States start to shut down their borders and whatnot. And I don't like weddings either, especially being in them, so please don't invite me :)
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Have a co worker that got married in Austin on Memorial Day weekend. Original plans were altered but date was not.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:02 pm I'm on three scratched weddings this year, and counting.
I've only canceled one. Not sure I could handle having 3 weddings.
shindig

Post by shindig »

sdoyel wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:18 pm Have a co worker that got married in Austin on Memorial Day weekend. Original plans were altered but date was not.
A high school/college buddy of mine got married back in April in NYC right as the COVID was hitting. The stupid thing is, he is from Wichita (his family still lives there) and she is from OP (and her family still lives there). So why the fvck have the wedding in NYC and not KC? I didn't go, it was a busy time at work, the COVID was hitting and I just didn't want to spend the money for flight and hotels. I did send a nice gift though.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:15 pm I think the bigger ethical dilemma is funerals. Can't really wait on those. Felt really bad for people who lost someone and couldn't properly mourn.
Exactly. If canceling/postponing a wedding is the worse thing you have to deal with through this, count your blessings.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I dont like weddings on a good day. Couldnt pay me to fo to one right now.
Just Ledoux it