We don't need no policing

Ugh.
dolomite
Contributor

We don't need no policing

Post by dolomite »

I wonder why the Portland mayor would subject himself to getting teargassed by federal troops. I guess he just wanted to show how mean the federal government is in combatting the rioting, looting, burning etc.
I had to laugh when one of the protesters said "we don't need policing".
I guess she was OK with buildings burning etc, etc...
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Re: We don't need no policing

Post by ousdahl »

From a friend who lives in Portland...

“Wheeler only went downtown last night because he is too spineless to criticize the PPD, which we all know has been just as brutal to protestors as the Feds.

The feds are an easy foil for him to go after as the political blowback from saying the same thing about the PPD would be severe.”
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Yeah, this is probably my exit ramp too.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Wasn’t the NRA supposed to defend the people from a tyrannical Federal government?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Posted in the George Floyd protest thread
ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:59 am Image
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

zsn wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:50 pm Wasn’t the NRA supposed to defend the people from a tyrannical Federal government?
Still waiting...
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I can't tell if you are seriously surprised or just pretending for fun....but my guess is most NRA members don't agree with the violent and destructive turn the "protests" took...i put protests in quotes because i am able to mentally seperate the protestors/protests from the violent looting/destruction becuase in most instances they weren't being done by the same people... unfortunately many in our country are not able to do that. Either becuase they are lazy or casually racist/prejudice and against the movement for equality because it has the word "black" in it and "Karen" thinks/says all lives matter. So they conveniently lump them all together to try to shut down the convo.

I do think the violence that took place against the cops in places like chicago (angry people throwing things at them) was totally unacceptable, so i dont know why anyone would expect the NRA to speak out against that...but i dont think (hopefully) that was what was being referenced by your posts.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

He's serious. Early on in the protest he was yelling for everyone with "their previous ARs" to stand up and fight the the tyranny.

They'll say his name for generations..Twocokes. Revolutionary.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I thought michhawk already explained that unconstitutional detentions and brutality are OK as long as it’s against liberals?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:56 am I can't tell if you are seriously surprised or just pretending for fun....but my guess is most NRA members don't agree with the violent and destructive turn the "protests" took...i put protests in quotes because i am able to mentally seperate the protestors/protests from the violent looting/destruction becuase in most instances they weren't being done by the same people... unfortunately many in our country are not able to do that. Either becuase they are lazy or casually racist/prejudice and against the movement for equality because it has the word "black" in it and "Karen" thinks/says all lives matter. So they conveniently lump them all together to try to shut down the convo.

I do think the violence that took place against the cops in places like chicago (angry people throwing things at them) was totally unacceptable, so i dont know why anyone would expect the NRA to speak out against that...but i dont think (hopefully) that was what was being referenced by your posts.
I joke about it but the multiple gun owners who personally told me that part of the reason they own guns is to protect themselves if the government starts trampling people rights by rolling through the streets detaining people like what is happening in Portland were not joking at all. I laughed when they said it but they were completely serious.

These claims are nothing but bluster and BS meant to tie their enjoyment of owning big, fun toys to the Constitution to help reduce the odds that they dont get to play with their big, fun toys any longer.

Obviously I don't want citizens out in the streets with guns; that rarely ends well. They had an opportunity to back up their bullshit claims and did nothing but prove their claims were bullshit. It is exactly what I expected.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Why would they back up people doing things that most of them don't agree with?

I don't think what was happening in portland is quite the same as what you are portraying. Not saying i agree with the tactics used by federal agents, because i dont, but from what i understand the people they were snatching up were comitting crimes, right?

Curious, did the armed guards carrying assault rifles in the CHOP/CHAZ bother you as much as the people you view as republican assault rifle owners do?

Tbh, and i dont own a gun currently, if covid showed us anything it is that at any given moment society is dangerously close to breaking down...then that kind of protection would be a nice luxury to have. If food supply chain breaks down it will be total choas within days/weeks. We almost had that occur with covid which doesnt have a high mortality rate. What if it was 70% mortality and everything had to close? It would be chaos. Not saying i am running out to buy an assault rifle, but it sure makes me wonder how bad it could get in a worst case scenario. We have just proven we can't/won't collectively sacrifice for the greater good very easily.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:45 am Why would they back up people doing things that most of them don't agree with?

I don't think what was happening in portland is quite the same as what you are portraying. Not saying i agree with the tactics used by federal agents, because i dont, but from what i understand the people they were snatching up were comitting crimes, right?

Curious, did the armed guards carrying assault rifles in the CHOP/CHAZ bother you as much as the people you view as republican assault rifle owners do?

Tbh, and i dont own a gun currently, if covid showed us anything it is that at any given moment society is dangerously close to breaking down...then that kind of protection would be a nice luxury to have. If food supply chain breaks down it will be total choas within days/weeks. We almost had that occur with covid which doesnt have a high mortality rate. What if it was 70% mortality and everything had to close? It would be chaos. Not saying i am running out to buy an assault rifle, but it sure makes me wonder how bad it could get in a worst case scenario. We have just proven we can't/won't collectively sacrifice for the greater good very easily.

Lots of random thoughts all over the place so I'll try to go in order.

Your assumption is incorrect. They are detaining people because they think they might be criminals, then searching them and questioning them. Then some of them are charged and others are released if they find nothing to charge them with. They are using the guise of "anyone who looks like they attended a protest meets the description of someone reported to have broken the law in said protest" as justification of the detainment. Our justice system should require more than this; it is an abuse of power and a violation of rights.

If gun carrying people in CHOP were actively pointing their weapons at people walking past them and screaming threats at them with their finger on the trigger then yes, I would have an equal amount of problem with that.

We can generate an endless combinations of "what if" scenarios. I have no interest in arguing these. There's enough issues that are actually going on right now. Our supply chain did not break down but it will certainly need to be reviewed after this to ensure improvements are made and alternated options are available if regular options are unavailable.